Thread: Moving house during pregnancy

Default Moving house during pregnancy

DH and I are currently living with my mum (we moved in with her when we decided to start TTC to save a bit of extra money) So I'm a little bit stressed about finding a house to move out to, and also when to do it. I want to move so as to have enough time to be completely settled into our new house before our baby arrives. I want to go to a lot of effort with the nursery so I would like to have time to do it leisurely. I also need to still be cfomfortable enough to be able to set up the house etc, which I'm not sure when I will start to get to uncomfortable seeing as I haven't been pg before. Anyone got any advice on this, or experienced moving during pg?

I did at 23 weeks with my DD....unfortunately I was very sick with pnuenomia due to getting the flu and my then husband not allowing me to heat the house, most of the moving was left to me by my X and I had no choice but to pack and unpack and lift al ot my self...due to me being sick at the time, this resulted in pre term labour which they successfully halted..but it was still very nasty. It didn't sink in until they said I must rest, I said 'I can't', OB said 'your daughter will die if you don't, we can't save her if she's born now'. I didn't realize it was so serious before that, I always thought that lifting things and doing physical labour just resulted in hurting the mum's back, but not the baby.

This time, I am planning on moving in March, 2 months before I'm due and there isn't much choice as there aint no way we will fit a baby in here...I'm very concerned about it because of last time, but I know that I'm with someone that will not allow me to lift a finger and I won't even have to unpack or pack if I'm slightly not up to it or the doctor thinks it will be a bad idea..and also I won't have pnuenomia.

So I will probably play on the cautious side of things and go really slowly this time because of my last experience.

Saying all that, there are plenty of pg women that move house, lift furniture and remain totally fine. I think everything would be okay if you just were sensible, didn't strain yourself or anything and rested up heaps and didn't go hard at it.

And it also depends on your pregnancy, high risk, etc.

I reckon that now, at eight months gone, I could happily put up nursery furniture and supervise a move. I'm shifting some the bedroom around this week - OK, it will take me a bit longer, but I'll be doing it alone. And I'll be doing it sensibly, emptying and partially dismantling things, which I wouldn't have needed to do before.

However, there are many people who couldn't do this. It really depends on who you are and how your body manages pregnancy. I would recommend you get a house by the autumn and so any paint fumes can just drift out of open doors and windows (DH and I stop decorating in the winter!). If you already have furniture then you'll need less time, but bending and moving stuff out of boxes is going to be harder the longer you leave it. For new furniture it's a bit easier, but you have to allow yourself time to go around all the shops to pick everything out.

Also, the belly gets in the way of too much running around and squeezing through things. I now find it harder to get to the backs of cupboards because I can't get as close as I could before, and getting into a room where the doorway is partly blocked is not very fun.

I don't know how your belly will grow, or how you'll feel about it, but I'd say the second trimester would be good to get everything done in, as that's when you're meant to have the most energy (though I still feel like I can take on the world, so long as I get the odd nap and sit-down).

Jas
    That is a hard question. There are many discomforts throughout pregnancy. And all these discomforts can happen at different times. The first problem you will have is morning sickness. This usually starts in the last half of the first trimester and can last for many weeks. In the second trimester you have changing body shape to cope with. This often causes aches and pains in places where you have never had aches and pains before. Faintness or dizziness when standing suddenly can also be a problem. Some women have trouble sleeping and can have very vivid dreams. This is caused by reduced blood flow to the brain as your body adjusts to new circulatory patterns. You may also feel a little short of breath. Third trimester has the problems caused by changing body shape plus nausea and vomiting often returns. Braxton Hicks contractions can become quite painful. Diarrhoea can also be a problem for some people. This is also the time that your feet and hands start to swell. Your joints and spine will looser than usual, so you will need to take extra care when moving things around. Get someone to help where possible. Avoid heavy lifting. The ligaments in your pelvic area will be loosening and stretching, to accommodate the baby. This may result in backache and pain in your pelvis especially your pubic bone.
    This is only a brief overview of some of the problems that you may encounter throughout your pregnancy. Some women will get all of these and more but other women will only get a few of these problems.

Thanks everyone for your replies, what we are planning to do is move around the 6 month mark. I am hoping this will be alright....I know it's not ideal but I know others do it, I won't be doing any lifting etc. I don't think DH would let me even if I wanted to!!

I think we may even get removalists to move us, it might just be easier, when we have moved in the past FIL has helped us moved but PIL are moving to NZ on the 21st of this month. So it might just be easier this way.

Jasmine, DH and i moved from NSW to Victoria when i was 35 weeks pg. It was tough, but i managed just fine. We got a removalists in (forget it i was moving 900km without one). I guess was hard on me cos i was moving house as well as a whole state away as well!!

Goodluck on your pregnancy and house move

My gosh Kim! I am well and truly inspired! We live about 30mins from th area we have lived in for years and the area we will move back too...not sure how many kilometres that is but a lot less the 900!! I think I can do it now, thanks!

We are planning on moving in a about 2 months. It's later then we would have liked but it's just the way things have worked out. We are thinking of hiring people to do the pack and move just to reduce the stress.

We moved 4 weeks ago when I was at 5 months. We also used removalists, and although I did actually lift some heavy things, but kept it to a minimum. I've had a good pregnancy and felt comfortable doing a little extra during the move, and took lots of rest stops along the way.

The actual moving wasn't too bad, but it's the settling in that's taking ages. I really need some time alone to finish the house and put everything exactly where I want it to go - these things take time, espeically dealing with the extra tiredness of pregnancy! I'm still working full time and have had several visitors from o/s to entertain every night, not to mention constant other visitors dropping in unannounced to see the new place!:eek: My mum and MIL also made disapproving noises about the state of things too - well I'm not a SAHM like they were, and don't have time for all the spring cleaning and mothers clubs. I think they have gotten the message, and don't dare say anything about it now! I have afew more areas to concentrate on, and the rest will have to wait until I go on maternity leave in 6 weeks. It can't come soon enough!

We're not moving...but we'll be renovating right through my pregnancy...

Draftsman is here today doing all the measurements...

It's mildly crazy...but I'm hoping it will help the seven months go a bit quicker than what the first 2 months has felt like!!!

Just letting you know that I am moving at 37 weeks

Im not moving but i just wanted to say goodluck with the move!

We moved house when i was 18wks pg and it was just two weeks after i had my amnio done. Even then i felt tried with doing so much as we did it all on our own. I even had to help push a safe and i don't me a small one up our drive way (not doing that in a hurry again).

When moving while pg you just have to take things easy not that anything will go wrong but you just don't want to over do things.

GL with your move.

We moved from NT to NSW when I was PG at 3 months, and then from NSW to VIC when I was 7.5 months. Neither move was easy. We had removalists do most of the heavy lifting, etc, but there is a lot of sorting and cleaning that needs to be done, it can be long days with lots of work involved! Also, you have to supervise those removalists otherwise they will do things like pack your kitchen bin - full - in a box!!

Fortunately my DH is like the energizer bunny, so when I'd start to get tired (usually about midday!) I'd just start pointing and instructing and he would take over! Remember to keep a few comforts for yourself - make sure you have plenty of drinks, and a folding chair, etc, it will make it a lot easier if you pace yourself and push it too hard.

PS I just flat out refused to lift anything as I could feel my joints loosening up and didn't want to pay the price for months!

Good luck, I hope your move proceeds smoothly and you are soon enjoying the comforts of your new place!
    :-)
    Last edited by AnyDream; January 6th, 2007 at 09:37 AM.

We're currently highest bidders on a house (house austions are done slowly over the phone with the real estate agent here rather than at a fast paced live auction) and if we get it we'll be moving when I'm around 36 weeks...urgh. I've already warned Thomas that he can expect me to sort, pack and lable boxes but I will not be doing any lifting, twisting or climbing step ladders.

My suggestion is to bulk-mail everyone you know and ask for help well in advance of the moving day and then throw them all a thankyou BBQ. Friends of ours did this and it was a great success. Even old workmates and aquaintences may surprise you and turn up to help.

When you get RSVP's choose a couple of trusted, organised friends and get them to be 'team leaders' for certain sections....garage, kitchen, kids stuff, BBQ set-up, etc.

With a bit of luck, you can sit back and be the general and let your soldiers do all the work!

We were living with the inlaws while i was pregnant to save some money. We moved at the beginning of August and Jesse was born at the beginning of September and i was working up until the end of August and i personally, found it plenty of time to get the place organised.
    But yes, youre not to do any lifting ok! Let the boys do the work.. i did. If i wanted to unpack something i just got DH to move the box to wherever and i sat calmly and unpacked.
    Best of luck :wink:

We moved when I was 5 months pg...and as Ryn said...it is kinda funny trying to manouvre around things in a hallway when you have a belly sticking out...I got stuck at times and had to rethink how I was going to attack getting through!! With packing, I would pack things and when DH got home from work he would move the boxes. I only moved something if I could slide it (tiled floor) or if it was light enough for me to easily pick up. I supervised the actual move...hehe. The main thing I found was that the packing and unpacking was a lot slower than normal as I got sore ribs and back very easily and could only do small spurts of these things before needing to sit and take a break. I think, just be sensible and don't try to be superwoman (no one is expecting that anyway) and do what you can, when you can Hope it goes well for you!!!

We have just moved and I'm 35weeks.
    I think it depends on how your body copes with it all. I didn't do any heavy lifting just packing the boxes, unpacking and ordering the boys around LOL. But I didn't consider the stress and emotional toll. Lack of sleep because I was trying to help and not seem like a slob, and then the stress of "Aahhh!! my house is a wreck and I'm having a baby very soon!!!" There are a lot more triggers for stress when you are moving or just moved.
    If I was to do it again, I would move at the late 20's mark (I think) as that was my least tired and before I got too uncomfortable and swolen.