Thread: Neck, upper back ache

Default Neck, upper back ache

Hi!

Just after some ways to relieve aches that I am getting through my neck and upper back?? I have a desk job so am constantly sitting in front of computer and get aches mainly through the section just under my shoulder blades. Last week it went up to my neck and I had a headache for 3 days. I normally get a headache with these aches too. I had a massage on the weekend that I thought would help but it only helped for a few days and now its back!!

So what can I do to relieve the pain, particularily at work? Anything would be greatly appreciated as in the past I just used to deal with it, now I just cant!!

Hey Veronica,
    I know exactly the pain you are talking about! A good thing to do is check that your chair is the right height - my chair was always too high, causing me to slump and get shoulder pains. Do you have a heat pack that you might be able to wear around your shoulders at work?
    Hope you find some relief soon. Good luck.

I've tried lowering my chair but my desk is pretty high. I have put my computer monitor up on some phone books so screen is pretty much at eye level.

Where do you buy a heat pack from? I am always hearing about them but have never seen them!

Hi Veronica,

You can get those heat packs from some chemists and physio's. I have had the same problem throughout my PG. I find stretching also works, rolling the shoulders, neck from side to side (ear to shoulder) type stuff. I also had a nurse I worked with show me this thing with a ball. You place a tennis ball (or you can get these spikey balls from Rebel which are even better!) between your shoulder blades and a wall. You slowly do swuats up and down which causes the ball to roll and helps alleviate tension. Also move from side to side. I LOVE that one!

HTH

MG

Veronica, see if your work will pay for a rest and stretch program for you, it goes off however often you set it (half and hour, hourly) and reminds you to stop working for 5 mins and do some stretches!

Veronica
    You can make your own heat pack if you can't buy one
    A small hand towel, wet it so that it is wet but not dripping
    Pop it in the microwave for aprox 2 mins
    when it is hot put it in a plastic bag.
    And you have got a heat pack