Thread: Need some advice please

Default Need some advice please

Im currently 32 weeks and have spent the past 2 weeks in hospital with complication due to polyhydramnios (excess amnio fluid) and an irritable uterus.

I had another scan this afternoon which showed my fluid levels have stablised (AFI - 32cm) but what I was shocked to see was the rapid growth with the baby. Last fortnight he weight a little over 1600gram and today a whopping 2450grams.

I can't speak to my OB til the morning and google is really not helping my anxiety about what may be causing this rapid growth. Like a third of its total weight has been gained in 14 days surely that is not normal.

I have had GD screen which was fine 7.1 from memory. Maybe I should ask to be retested to rule out the reason behind this growth.

What a combination 3 x the normal amnion fluid + 95 percentile baby. How can my body carry that weight to term. I already have a fundal height of 44cm.

Anyone have any advice about what may be happening or what may cause this rapid growth. TIA

Those weight scans are not always accurate. They told me my DD2 was going to be over 10lb but she was only 8lb 4. Don't stress so much as the next scan could be the same.

Joeys girl - good to see that everything is stabilizing. As for growth scans I had one the day before DS was born and they told me I was measuring at full term and he was 3.5kg. He was born the next day at 34 + 3 weeks weighing 2.71kg! I definately don't trust scans and measurements!

Big hun

The polyhydromnious can result in a bigger bubs, DD was born at 2350grams at 33 weeks 4 days, which was about the 70th%ile, my OB did keep an eye on her growth and said that she would likely be a bigger bub.

You could ask to be retested for GD again, have they done other BT's to check for infection etc as a cause of the Polyhydramnious?

Another BB had her little boy at 34 weeks 3 days and he was over 3kg which was a really good size for a prem as well, but no Polyhyd. Also keep in mind they aren't 100% accurate the EFW is just that an estimated weight and there have been plenty which have been notoriously incorrect.... I guess your next growth scan won't be for another two weeks so you have a bit of a wait to see what is happening....

Take care hun and I am glad to see that you are still baking I was only thinking of you earlier this evening xxoo

Thanks ladies.

Beema - there is some link between rapid growth and congential complications as well so that has me worried. Some anomalies are too hard to be detected via ultrasound. This is something that I will discuss with the OB to see if further testing can be done to rule this out if not only for peace of mind.

I will ask for the GD retest I think. Yes had BT's for infection, I'm classed as idiopathic (no known cause) polyhydramnios.

Same as me, there was no cause for it either, but DD arrived and is a completely perfect bubba

Try not to google too much hun too many bad scenarios out there

It wouldn't hurt to redo the GD test, take care xxoo