Thread: Need something to ease the pain of wisdom teeth!

Default Need something to ease the pain of wisdom teeth!

I have a wsidom tooth coming through and boy does it hurt. I asked the chemist what would be safe in pregnancy and she said to ask my dentist. So rang the dentist and she told me to ask the chemist, typical. So i have no idea how to ease the pain. I've tried bonjella and panadol but they don't seem to work. Is there anything that i can try that will be effective but is also safe in pregnancy?

bonjella i would have said.

orrrr try the mouth gel which has a numbing agent in it

also you could try a clove

otherwise, there isnt much you can do except for sympathise for how lily felt

This is very old fashioned, but when I did my nursing training at a little country hospital we used to use clove oil for toothaches. Seemed to work too. Doesn't taste fab, but a bit on cotton wool or a cotton wool bud on the area seems to do the job.

Whenever DP gets toothache he uses cloves and it numbs the pain almost immediatley

littlerigger Guest

The only thing I found that helped me while my WT were really bad was sucking on ice on that side of my mouth. Mind you mine were really impacted so had to come out under general eventually anyway.

I was going to suggest oil of cloves too. You could suck on ice cubes too. If there is a bit of infection with it, try gargling warm salty water or mouthwash.

Quote Originally Posted by littlerigger
    The only thing I found that helped me while my WT were really bad was sucking on ice on that side of my mouth. Mind you mine were really impacted so had to come out under general eventually anyway.
    I know what you mean, the reason mine are hurting so bad is because all 4 are at a 45 degree angle inwards, so are bunching up all my teeth trying to come through. I have to get all of them cut out under genral but can't afford it at the moment, so have to suffer!

when mine were coming through they broke the surface of the gum, only coming up a small amount and there was a flap of gum over the tooth still. i found that they really hurt when bits of food were stuck in them and had started to rot. so i used to clean them out with a toothpick then rinse with saltwater. (i just re-read my post and it sounds disgusting LOL)

Tegan, I had to get all of my WT out too. Mine just didn't have room & they were all on such a bad angle, the crown of the tooth was facing the side of the tooth in front of them. Needless to say I had a general to get them out. Actually at that visit I had 8 teeth pulled out at once! Needed to make room for the braces that followed. That was fun couple of years! NOT.

littlerigger Guest

45 degrees - ouch - mine were about the same. I had to borrow the $$ to do it

DoubleK Guest

i suffer from bad toothache and my doctor prescribed some panadeine forte for me, which does the trick if i take it as soon as i feel a little pain, and i also use this gel that i bought for my partner when he had some mouth ulcers, that numbs the area strait away.

but i sympathise with you Tegan!!!

8-[ Tegan, I went to a dentist & cried & said I didnt have a job (took off my jewellery) & said I was in bad pain & needed something done.. (This was about 9-10 years ago) He booked me in to a Private Hospital the following week & said he'd look after it... I had 4 wisdom teeth & 2 poisoned eye teeth removed under general & all I was charged was the anaesthetists fees of a few hundred!!!

I was actually working but leaving for 6 months in bali in 3 weeks time & didnt want big holes in Bali in my gums getting all festy, so maybe try a sob story!!
    It might be worth it! :-k

I hate dental pain!!!!

I can completley relate to dental pain and how awful it is! Teething gel provides mild temporary relief and the clove thing actually works! I also found the rinsing with salt water helps a little but the best thing was to actually hold an ice pack on the outside of me jaw (in line with the sight of pain) as you would for a sprain (20 min on, 20 min off. Or whatever you can handle). When my WT were bad I had this ritual of salt water rinse, gel, ice and then as the gel faded, clove and kept alternating.

If your chemist was unhelpful, try a different one. Go to one where there are a lot of pregnant women in the area as they tend to be a little more aware of what is safe (it's in their best interest if they want to keep their customers!). Perhaps ring a couple of chemists to get different opinions.

I agree with the other girls, Oil of Clove or if you don't have that, grab a clove and shove it against the gum where it is sore. The Romans used to use clove against sore teeth while on forced marches (they also used to munch on fennell seeds to stop hunger pains).

This is going to sound really bad - but go to a "poorer" area of the city and find a chemist there - they're probably more used to having people who can't afford immediate hospital treatment coming in for over the counter remedies.

Good luck with it all.

Definitely go see another chemist.

How is it now? I was the same - had WT pain right through pregnancy but had to wait until after DS was born as I had to go under. It does cost lots of $$ but I did get some parts back from medicare and my PHI.

I have had problems with my WT but have had them removed - i user pain killers and bonjella but now DH is having problems with his WT and bonjella does not work for him and he does not like pain killers so he is using SM33 (available at the chemist) - it tastes nasty but it numbs his gum so he is able to eat and talk when its too sore.
    hope it works out for you