Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to it all & scared!!

Smile New to it all & scared!!

To start off I'll say hi!! I'm 23 years old and as per the topic name I'm new to Bellybelly.

My partner is 28 and we're not married. We own a successful business together and have 2 dogs and a cat. I found this board after taking a HPT because my boobs have been sore, I've been really emotional and tired. Not to mention my apppetite is making no sense whatsoever at the moment. The HPT was a very solid positive. I have my mum picking me up another one right now, and I also have a doctors appointment tomorrow. The pregnancy is unplanned but by no means unwanted. I've wanted kids since god knows when, now that it's looming I'm a little anxious though haha. I guess one of the things I have to ask is how common are false positive pregnancy tests? I used a clear blue easy test.

I would be sooooo happy if this was real so I'm hoping the second test comes up positive and the blood test as well. I've been doing some reading today around here and found some very informative posts. I was wondering if it turns out I am pregnant if any one knows of a good ob/gyn around taylors hill/taylors lakes/Caroline springs. Also any other information on what kind of medical advice I will need. I take an antideppressant called fluexotine and am supposed to be restarting the contraceptive pill. I know not to restarting the pill, but the antideppressant I'm not sure on. Any information would be fantastic and I can't wait to give you the news one way or the other.
    ~Sharbear

I'd say you are 100% pregnant, congratulations. False positives are extremely rare, and when they happen they are not often so strong.

As for your anti-depressants, that's something you will need to discuss with your gp. There will be a way to be medicated during pregnancy, obviously you will have to weight up the pros and cons and work out with your doctot what is going to be better for you.

Yay, congrats

I will tell you, I got a false positive a couple of years ago, then a negative at the doctors' a few days later - well, maybe, we're still not sure if it was a false positive or an early miscarriage - but it's extremely unlikely. So I'm saying congratulations and welcome to Bellybelly!

Teni, what caused the false positive? Maybe a chemical pregnancy?

Ok so I just took the second test... Completely different brand and it is a BFP!!!! doc appointment tomorrow but it's looking good! So excited now

PZ - Could've been, but we don't know. The doctor pretty much just went "nope, not pregnant" and left it at that. I think he explained that false positives were possible (twice in a row? Suuuure...) but the bottom line was there was no baby there. He didn't even do a blood test, just a peestick I think "AF" came a few days later. I was so devastated, I cried really hard about half an hour later... I didn't realise just how badly I wanted a baby until then

Shar: Congratulations again! There's lots of us in Melbourne so you're very likely to find help here And we're all very horribly supportive
    Last edited by TeniBear; July 5th, 2010 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Adding more detail

Shar, congrats

congratulations Shar!! and welcome to BB!!!

i recommend joining a 'belly buddies' group (goes by your bubs EDD). i guess you will have a clearer picture of when that might be after you see your GP...exciting times!

Afraid that i dont have any advice re an OB etc. mebbe check out the recommendations/advice section on care providers. i guess your first decision will have to be whether to go public, private or home and then you can go from there!

yay welcome to bb shar , so excited for you tests are very rarely wrong so congrats an good luck xoxox

Here is some info on fluexotine and pregnancy and breastfeeding

If you need more info, the women's hospitals have pharmacists who can provide you with drug info in pregnancy specific to your circumstances
    Last edited by Traveller; July 5th, 2010 at 08:52 PM. Reason: link removed

So I changed my doctors appointment and have had my blood tests drawn already. They're testing for some things that take like a week to culture but my actual pregnancy test results will be in tomorrow after lunch!! the doc is pretty sure I am PG but of course ordered blood and urine tests anyway. I'm travelling back to Mildura on wed to see my original GP that has my entire history from when I was 2 and then getting him to refer a good GP and ob/gyn for here in melb. S.O is a little anxious and is not too excited at the moment, no because he doesn't want children but because he feels it isn't the right time but he will love and support me and the bubs regardless. Just might take him a while to get round. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but other times I have taken pregnancy tests they have show. A negative result before I could even put it down!! Haha the two I did today were positive before I could put them down, so I'm pretty sure. It would also account for my mood swings, lethargy and strange eating habits. will know for sure tomorrow either way!!

Wow, my GP hasn't done a blood test for either of my pregnancies! They just looked at my PoAS (pee on a stick) that I took with me and said congrats ... Congrats on your BFP!

I've just had a really quick look and your AD (antidepressant) is a class C, which isn't ideal during pregnancy (it's the same as Prozac apparently) so you may want to discuss alternate treatments with either your GP or a psychiatrist.

congrats, and you may want to check out our depression & anxiety subforum for some more support.

Welcome to the forum.

Birth outcomes in pregnant women taking fluoxetine.

Chambers CD, Johnson KA, **** LM, Felix RJ, Jones KL.

New England Journal of Medicine. 335(14): 1010-15

BACKGROUND: Although fluoxetine is the most frequently prescribed antidepressant drug in the United States, its safety in pregnant women has not been established.
    METHODS: From 1989 through 1995, we prospectively identified 228 pregnant women taking fluoxetine. We compared the outcomes of their pregnancies with those of 254 women identified in a similar manner who were not taking fluoxetine.
    RESULTS: The rate of spontaneous pregnancy loss did not differ significantly between the women treated with fluoxetine and the control women (10.5 percent and 9.1 percent, respectively), nor was the rate of major structural anomalies significantly different (5.5 percent vs. 4.0 percent). Among the 97 infants exposed to fluoxetine who were evaluated for minor anomalies, the incidence of three or more minor anomalies was significantly higher than among 153 similarly examined control infants (15.5 percent vs. 6.5 percent, P=0.03). As compared with the 101 infants exposed to fluoxetine only during the first and second trimesters, the 73 infants exposed during the third trimester had higher rates of premature delivery (relative risk, 4.8; 95 percent confidence interval, 1.1 to 20.8), admission to special-care nurseries (relative risk, 2.6; 95 percent confidence interval, 1.1 to 6.9), and poor neonatal adaptation, including respiratory difficulty, cyanosis on feeding, and jitteriness (relative risk, 8.7; 95 percent confidence interval, 2.9 to 26.6). Birth weight was also lower and birth length shorter in infants exposed fluoxetine late in gestation.
    CONCLUSION: Women who take fluoxetine during pregnancy do not have an increased risk of spontaneous pregnancy loss or major fetal anomalies, but women who take fluoxetine in the third trimester are at increased risk for perinatal complications.

Ok so I went to get my blood test results today and turns out the lab is backed up and I can't find out untill tomorrow. I am travelling to mildura tomorrow so I won't be able to find out for sure untill my dr appointment on Thursday but everybody I've spoken to seems to think that 3 positive PoAS tests are a fair bet that I'm preggo!! I don't want to get my hopes up but I'm pretty sure I am, so here's hoping! I shall keep you guys posted with any information I get.

Lol hun, you ARE pregnant, get your hopes up! Most docs will just take a positive poas as a confirmation you are utd.

Be Excited, get your hopes up, reading your post reminded me of how I feel when I first find out I'm pregnant, you want to shout it from the rof tops but at the same time you want to keep it a secret.

Yay!!! It's official! Hahaha got my blood tests back Thursday of last week, but life has been a bit hectic since then. I've travelled back to Mildura to visit my family and friends and to give everyone the good news. My GP didn't book me in for an ulstrasound, he said there was no medical reason to have one, other than a time frame. I have a gyno appointment on the 9th of August and we shall go from there. From the blood test that showed the Qualitative/Quantitative (can't remember which one) it looks like I'm between 6 and 8 weeks, but my GP said that they're pretty loose readings and I could be anywhere up to 12 weeks! haahaha

My GP doesn't want me taking any Anti deppressants at all purely and simply because they don't have any real evidence that they don't do anything or do anything to a foetus, so I have that to deal with, but I'm so happy! S.O's family didn't seem that excited, which was a bit dissappointing to me, but my family and friends are all over the moon about it! Sooooo yeah! That's my news so far. I've had some more blood taken (everybody wants my red stuff!!!) for my gp to check some things out, I also have to take Ostelin (Vitamin D) for the rest of my life. Found out from my original blood panel that i have a pretty serious Vit D deficiency which sucks but good that I found out! The only other forseeable issue now is that I'm pretty sure I have O negative blood and my S.O has positive so we'll have to watch out for that. But other than that all smooth sailing for the here and now. Hope you guys are all doing well.

Heys Sharbear - great news, congrats!!!!

Hey I hear you on the VitD - my GP has me taking it as well - apparently a lot of people with depression have Vit D deficiency too.

Not sure I understand about the ADs, - you're going to stop taking them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast