Thread: New stuff when the bubs is #2, 3 or whatever

Default New stuff when the bubs is #2, 3 or whatever

What have people done in regards to buying new stuff when it comes to baby #2 (or 3 or whatever). I haven't bought anything yet but really would like to but feel guilty that if this one's a boy I have so much stuff from #1 (mainly given, lots of hand me downs) that it would be silly to "waste" my money. In some ways I'm hoping it's a girl so I can buy some new things. This one will be born at a completely different time of year (winter, June, in contrast to previous Oct birth) so hopefully that means I'll at least need a couple of new rompers initially.

As it is with number 1 I feel guilty when i buy him something in the way of clothes cause I've been given so many hand me downs - don't mean to sound ungrateful for everything I've been given - cause I'm not (it has saved me so much and clothed my little one in more variety than he would otherwise have had- just looking for thoughts mainly with regards to what others do when it comes to #2. And do people send you as many presents with #2 as they did with #1.

Matilda is number 1 for us, but we were given so many bags of clothes. I think I buy her 1 outfit for every new size & season, and not because we need it, but because I want her to dress her in what I like. She has sooo much pink & I was never going to dress her in pink, but I'm also not going to buy her a whole wardrobe when she's already been given heaps of clothes. I hope this makes sense, but what I guess I am saying is I think its great to give them a few things that are their own, but also for you too like Shannon said

We got loaned sooooo much baby stuff for jenna - and could have got lots more if we wanted it. So much of it is really new, and of course its all pink. But I have to return it all when she has grown out of it - so anything I have bought I try to buy neutral colours so a boy or girl could wear it. Lots of yellow, red, green, navy etc.
    I buy things occasionally. At the end of the day, sometimes dressing babies in other people's clothes mean that you aren't "projecting" the baby you want. I always feel like she is much more my baby when she is wearing clothes that I bought.

So I expect the next one will get lots of the neutral handmedowns, but will likely get some new clothes too - boy or girl, because most of Jenna's girly stuff will have been returned.

Fi

I found that, in regards to the amount of presents people send you when the baby is born, there were from some relatives the same amount as with my first and second children. But from other relatives there were much less. I think that because my DH's parents bought the reversible car seat it could be used again and therefore an equally expensive present wasn't necessary the second time around.

I had kept everything from Mason, but seeing as he was born in September and Angus was in July, I needed to buy new warmer things for Angus anyway.

It was nice to see Angus in the same clothes that Mason had worn and I got a bit emotional when Angus grew out of them too, however I do love to buy new things for Angus as I think they always look great in new clothes. I save the old ones for when they get into the dirt!

DS was a Dec baby and this little boy will be feb so most of the clothes should still be ok as DS was only 5pd 9oz so i am guessing that seasons should match up. I have bought about two or threee new outfits, to come home from hospital / have as good clothes and so he has his own special new clothes, and my mum has bought a couple of things too. Most of DS's clothes still look brand new so i am hoping any gifts this little guy gets are clothes in bigger sizes for further down the track or practical things little bottle bags and stuff that we need new ones of . I have actually started a list of things people could get us if we are asked.

Sorry, so the long and short of it is, if you see something you like i say go for it but i can also agree with the $ aspect which is why i have contained myself!

Lee-Ann Guest

I used a lot of the clothes from my 1st baby to my 2nd baby. But I did buy some specific outfits for DD2 and I didn't need to go out and buy newborn singlets and all the small stuff they grow out of quickly. So I mixed it up a bit bought some new but didn't go silly as I had a lot of outfits that were still practically new from DD1, plus I didn't get given any hand-me-downs from any one.

We were given a lot of new and second hand clothes etc.. for Nicholas. I will probably re use the clothes for Declan but I have also bought him some new outfits aswell.

We got new stuff for Kimberley and what i could use i am using on Alex we also got brought new stuff for him and given some second hand stuff. I have also brought a few new outfits as well.

I will keep everything i can again and use it on the next one when it happens.

Fire Fly Guest

I think im the odd one out.
    Im not into hand me downs. Maybe because they werent coming from my family but friends of friends.
    DD (#1)didnt really get a heap of clothes when she was born so i have bought majority of the clothes and still do now. I find the clothes i do get from family (mainly the outlaws) are not my ideal clothing for her so i usually return them or pass them on.
    As far as DS (#2) goes ive had to buy a few 0000 stuff because DD started out with 000. And ive just laybyed another pram that will accomadate (s) both the kids. Thats all ive had to buy so far.

Oh the one thing i do have with both kids is DD has a money box that plays music when you put money in it. We keep all 2003 coins to go in it and let her put them in. So ive bought DS a musical pig that we have started putting 2005 coins in. We plan on giving them the boxes when they get older, maybe their 21st. Ive got 2003 new baby coins for DD and have to get some for DS now. Just something special for them i suppose.

Dont feel guilty though because material things dont matter really and they arent going to know the difference. Its all the love and support thats important not where there last outfit came from. IYKWIM.

DoubleK Guest

I'm expecting my first baby in May, and while we know that its a little girl, i have been trying not to buy too much pink (i went a little overboard when we first found out the sex... ) so that if baby #2 is a boy, i will have plenty of hand me downs..
    Of course i will still buy new things for each baby that comes along...

Rach