Thread: nipple q (tmi maybe)

Red face nipple q (tmi maybe)

ok so i dnt really know lol coz i dnt go around looking at other ppls chest lol but i have pretty small nipples (wanted to get one pierced when i was younger and they wouldn't do it) also they kinda have big cracks going through the centre (dnt think thats normal?) theres never been much feeling there when i thought there kinda should be? i am really worried about being able to breastfeed or not and at this point in time am too embarassed to get em out to show someone lol... it could be nothing coz like i said i dnt go around comparing but does it sound like i am onna have trouble breastfeeding???

Well I haven't seen many other nipples myself (lol) but what I do know is that the tend to get bigger during pregnancy. I feel like they almost double towards the end.

I wouldn't be too worried, we come in all different sizes and shapes so I am sure there are plenty of other ladies with nipples on the smaller side. If you are really worried just ask your Midwife, trust me, you have no need to be embarrased and I am sure they will be able to put your mind at ease and you will be able to breastfeed perfectly.

Lv Spring

To be honest, I always thought my nipples were small too (i dont go looking other peoples though) Anyway, they got much larger while i was pregnant , and I havent had any troubles breastfeeding so far.
    As far as I know, most women can breastfeed.. threres only a small percentage of women who physically cant.
    Last edited by Karina; March 25th, 2007 at 12:51 PM. Reason: bad spelling

i have huge nipples (ridiculous size really), my poor daughter could only get half of them in her mouth when she was feeding. they really do come in all shapes and sizes; but i don't think you should have a problem breastfeeding with small ones - it really is only the middle 'lump' that the baby's use. it may just take you a little while to figure out the best technique for you. as for the 'crack', that doesn't seem too abnormal either.

if you are worried, maybe you should ask your doctor, who has undoubtably seen plenty of nipples in their time. but i found breastfeeding has a lot more to do with the baby then where the milk comes from.

I have quite small nipples as well but didn't have any problem breastfeeding. In fact, we have been breastfeeding for two years now. So you should be fine.

my sister has a split nipple, which sounds like what you are talking about with the crack down the middle, and she didn't have problems with actually feeding from them - she ended up not being able to produce any milk, but nothing to do with her nipples.

Some OB's will check your breasts at your 1st appointment, if they don't do this, then ask them to check them for you. and trust me sweetie, they have seen all kinds, so I am sure yours won't shock them!! Also don't place too much pressure on yourself, if you can't breastfeed, you can't breastfeed, bottle or boob, you will be feeding your baby with love, and formulas have come such a long way that your baby would get all the nourishment it needed.

Well I have seen lots of nipples.

Small nipples should not be a problem when breastfeeding. mainly because your baby will not be sucking on your nipple to feed. To breastfeed you should try to get as much of your breast into the baby's mouth. (after all it is called breastfeeding not nipple feeding). Your nipple goes to the back of your baby's mouth (the soft palette). Baby then uses it's tongue and mouth to massage milk from the breast.