Thread: No Heart Beat Question

Fruitwood Guest

Default No Heart Beat Question

This morning I had my first ultrasound and it was confirmed that I am approx 5 weeks. All was going well until the woman doing the ultra sound said she couldn't find a heart beat and wanted to do an internal ultrasound, after a few minutes she said she still couldn't find a heart beat and she started acting really concerned about it. I've now been asked to come back in 2 weeks to have another ultrasound to see if they can detect a heart beat. When i went in I wasn't concerned about not seeing anything because I didn't think at 5 weeks I would be able to see anything but now I'm quite concerned about the nurses reaction. Is it common not to be able to see a heart beat at 5 weeks or should I be concerned ?

Thanks
    Sharon

I was told at 6wks not to be concerned if they didn't find a heartbeat so hopefully that is your case as well.

Let us know how you go.

Love

sharon, im not sure at all. but i would think that at 5 weeks it would be very early to hear much at all.

i would just say to you not to get upset about it (sounds easy). i think it was pretty lousy of the nurse to reveal any worry to you though. she should have had the sense to keep it to herself so as not to worry you unneccessarily,

All the best, hope the next 2 weeks goes quickly for you!!

Linda

Sharon I had exactly the same thing happen and was made to panic for absolutley no reason at all. It is generally too early. Im sure when you have your ultrasound at 7 weeks you will see a gorgeous lil heart beat pumping away

Jo

One of the main reasons I didnt get an early u/s was because I heard and read that the heart beat can't be detected that early. There is nothing worse though, than someone (usually dr/nurse) panicking you. I have found it happens quite alot during pregnancy and it always suprises me that they do it. Surely they can understand that you will now worry for 2 weeks. Anyway, best of luck, and keep busy and happy xoxox

I wouldnt be too concerned at this stage either...

I had my early u/s at 6w3d, and the sonographer said she could only just detect the HB, and if I had come in a few days earlier she wouldn't have been able to detect it.

Fruitwood Guest

Thankyou so much for your quick replies. You don't know just how relieved I feel right now that others have experienced not having a heart beat this early and that it's a common thing.

Thanks again for your support
    Sharon

Perfectly normal sweetie, but having said that I know how stressful it is. I had an early scan with Paris and was told my pg wasn't VIABLE :shock: and had to come back to get another scan. I was absolutely terrified wasn't until I had the second scan that the guy said well you aren't supposed to see it :roll:

Try not to stress!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Hi Feb belly buddy
    I am pretty sure that you cannot hear the heartbeat until at least 6 or 7 weeks. At 5 weeks you may only have a gestational sac (no chance of hearing a heart beat when the heart isn't formed yet!!)

I had a dating scan (same as you I think) at what I thought was 4 wks and 1 day. I got dated as 5 wks and 1 day - so similar to you. We could see a gestational sac, but no foetal pole or yolk sac... I was also told to come back in 2 weeks. My doc said not to worry about the repeat scan, as a week later I would have my obs appt. But of course, I started to stress out about it and did some google research - I then got a fear that no baby was growing! So I went and got my HCG levels checked.. all good there, so I can chill out for another week and half until the obs appt.

Anyway, I am going on about me now, but I just wanted to tell you what others have reassured me - 5 weeks is very early to have a scan, you are lucky to see anything at all AND, they often get the dates out by a day or two.. you might have gone in for the scan two days later and heard the heartbeat. Who knows.

If you are worried, ask for HCG tests to be done, but I honestly think you are all ok! I totally understand your concern

Default reply

Sweetie, try not to worry, I think it's be very early to find a heartbeat in the first place, I was told not to worry at 6.5 weeks when they could find one either, I know this TWW will very difficult, but try to hang in there ok.
    Thinking of you and we're all here for you angel.xx

Let us know ok. O

Melinda Guest

When I had my first OB appt, he told me that the heart starts beating at approximately 5w3.5d (yes, he was quite specific). So if you were 5w, you wouldn't have been able to detect the HB yet.

HTH!

Fruitwood Guest

Thanks for all your kind words. I really feel so much better now. I was reading in a book last night that some women don't find the heart beat on ultrasounds until 10 weeks so that gave me some more hope. I am a bit worried that if they don't find the heart beat on the next scan at 7 weeks that they might ask me about terminating the pregnancy. Is it something that they ask at the ultrasound ? I'm not due to see another dr until 12 weeks.

Thanks
    Sharon

It wouldn't be something they would ask at the u/sound I don't think, they would write notes for your doctor to read then he would discuss it with you.

Love

A friend of mine at work had an U/S at 6 weeks and they didnt find a heartbeat. She is booked to go back at 8 weeks.
    I was confused as I didnt have an U/S till 12 weeks but I wouldnt be too concerened, they would have told you if there was a problem.