Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no heartbeat on scan

Default no heartbeat on scan

Hi. Im 5 weeks pregnant and had a scan today as i was having stomach cramps and wanted to know if this was normal or not. My doctor assured me that it was nothing to worry about. He gave me a vaginal scan and found the embryon embedded in the uterus as it should. However there was no sign of a heartbeat. He said it could be too early and that i should come back next week for another scan. I am now petrified that it will not show up again next week as i will only be 6 weeks. Is it normal not to see a heartbeat? If i had miscarriaged, wouldent i know that by now?? Im am really annoyed with muyself for phoning the doctor about my stomach cramps as I now have something new to worry about. Anybody with a similar experience??

At five weeks, it's normal My first pregnancy, we saw the heartbeat via vaginal u/s at something like 5w5d (I can never remember how many days exactly) and the ultrasound tech said it was the earliest he'd ever seen one. He said he normally begins to see them around 6w1d So we were very lucky.

Stomach cramps, also normal - it's your uterus expanding and shifting to accommodate the baby That's actually how I ended up with that ultrasound, I thought I was miscarrying and the doctors thought I might have an ectopic pregnancy because all the pain was on one side! And yes, I know how ridiculous it sounds that your uterus is expanding already - baby's only 2 millimetres long! - but that's how it is. Just your body doing what it should be doing

Big s and I hope I've helped ease your mind.

i think it may still be too early to see a heartbeat.. did he do a bloodtest to check your hcg levels?
    i know it's hard, but try not to stress too much, i think it's fairly unlikely that you've miscarried if you haven't had and blood loss (may be wrong?)
    hope bubba is still in there safe and sound, and just giving you a bit of grief xo

Default terms snobby

Thank you. You have put my mind at ease.I will try and be patient now until next Friday. Doctor did not take blood as the surgery would be close Monday and Tuesday. He said he would do this next Friday. So fingers cross and thanks again for the good advice. xx

Just wanted to wish you luck for your scan next Friday. It also sounds quite normal to me that there wouldn't be a heartbeat at 5 weeks. I hope the next week goes very quickly for you.

Also just want to say that it's too early for a heart beat. Usually around the 6 week mark that it comes in, sometimes even a little after this.

Good luck for next week.
    Sue xxx

I agree with the girls, we had to have an internal u/s with DD1 and she was 6wk5d and we saw the faintest of heartbeats, the sonographer said had we done the ultrasound the day i had my bleed (4 days before) he thinks we wouldn't have seen it anyway.
    She's here now and safe.

Please stay positive and remember it's natural to feel worried and don't feel bad for calling your Dr, it's what we do, were mothers and we stress before their born, when their born and when they are 40yrs old
    Enjoy your pregnancy and wishing you a happy & healthy 9mths

Cool

Hi,

Just wanna say goodluck and best wishes being pregnant is nerve racking enough without the little glitches along the way, stay positive and strong, thats the best remedy i can recommend ive had 3 boys and they all had me going bonkers from the moment they were concieved, my pregnancy now is a girl and she still has me biting my nails!!

Be patient and think of the next scan and you will be relieved to find out everything should be ok... GOODLUCK HUN

Big

I agree witht he other girls that it is a bit too early to see and HB and even at 6 weeks it can be a bit early. But it sounds like bub has implanted nicely.
    Wishing you all the very best for the scan this week and for a long and uneventful pregnancy, with a beautiful little budle at the end
    Take care and try to relax - I know it can be hard xxoo

i wouldnt worry to much still a lil early im sure you will see your babys heartbeat in about a weeks time i had a normal ultrasound at 5w 5 days an had a heartbeat of 105 BPM an still have some period like pains in my tummy an back every now an then at 9 w 2 days sending you some sticky vibes xoxxo

Thank you everyone for your positive comments . I think i just panicked yesterday when the dr said that there was no heart beat. I should have asked him some questions, but i was so shocked that i could not think of anything to ask him!!!
    Friday will come quick enough. I will let u know how it went. xx

its awful to go threw,i had similar with my scan,the doc thought i was 7 weeks pregnant but i wasnt so there was no heartbeat at 5 weeks and they saidthat maybe it was too early so suggested waiting until i was 8 weeks(nearly killed me waiting!) and all was fine,the cramping altho scary is normal i had it terrible too,i know its really hard to not worry its only natural,all the best for Friday!

rhyb Guest

I had my scan today and like you, no heartbeat as Im only 5weeks-ish.
    Im going back in 3 weeks though

i had a scan at 6weeks4days and no heartbeat (was a vaginal one too!) but everything else looked ok, im now 17weeks. Im sure everything is ok! Sorry you are now more stressed then before. Try to rest and maybe move the next scan til 7 weeks just so you know for sure that you should see something!

I'm surprised they even did a scan so early - I wouldn't expect to see much at that stage. They'll generally try to wait till 6-7 weeks at a minimum.
    Cramping is very normal in early pregnancy - it's just your uterus stretching.

Just to add my experience to help you feel better, they can't pick up a heart beat in really early ultrasounds.

I had to have one with my first 2 as they needed to know where implantation had occurred. I have photos of a blob, there was no heart beat but they told me that was normal for an early scan.

I agree with all the PP
    Good luck with your next scan OP.

Lucy was one of these tricky little bubbas

I was told there was a sac and a pregnancy but its to early to see a heartbeat etc. A week later and there it was

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast