Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No to Ultra Sound

I say each to their own too. I am no means against modern technology/science I have had loads of U/S for many reasons. The beauty is that we do have a choice....My choice is to have a scan! Cant wait
    Good luck with your IVF journey....I hope you have success very soon.

I believe that there is a place for u/s. I agree that just having unnecessary ones for fun - just to see bub again - prob isn't the best idea but with this pregnancy i have been told to expect a lot due to being a high-risk patient. As the cause of my last placenta abruption was unknown and life-threatening a great deal of careful monitoring, including frequent u/s, will be conducted. I do feel rather anxious about the effect this may have on the baby (especially when i read articles as those previously posted) but in the end i need to do what is necessary to ensure a safe outcome. I am extremely grateful for the modern technology available today but agree that it definately should not be abused.

Sasika Guest

Default what a valuable question!

Thanks everyone for the replies. Maybe I will show the thread to my friend and see what she thinks. Its interesting though- it sparkd quite a conversation between myself and another friend of mine too.
    Lots to think about

babylove Guest

Default 1st Trimester

Hi, I'm 10 weeks preggers and a bit of a stress head. I think I'll be having u/s all the way as I just like to know what's going on, ya know? But I guess the world was popluated just fine without them for millenia so it musn't really matter. Although how anyone got along without the Bugaboo I just don't know.

On another note, I need to get my colour done. I've booked in with my colourist at 14 weeks but now I'm thinking I'd like to find someone who uses natuaral hair dyes. Does anyone know of anyone in Sydney who does this?

I have no issue with people choosing not to have any ultrasounds... I considered it for our baby. My H was pretty keen though and wanted to know some facts about what I basing my decision on.
    In the end we concluded that 'excessive' ultrasounds can be an issue (eg. smaller birth weight) but minimal ones doesn't seem to show a danger. So we ended up doing the 12 and 19 week scans. I'm not into the 'scan every time you see your OB' thing that I've heard some people go through.

alan - amazing articles, thankyou i had no idea!

Hi babylove, there is a hairdresser in five dock wo uses organic colouring. not sure of the name, its on the great north road

A friend of mine recently had a baby with a heart condition. If she hadn't had an ultrasound they would have not known that the baby couldn't withstand the stress of labour and she would need to be booked on for a c-sect.
    If she had of gone into labour and tried for a natural birth her baby would have in most likelihood died..

So yes I do believe ultrasound is needed at SOME point in the pregnancy. I don't really agree with u/s before 12 weeks as I had 3 early miscarraiges all within one week after an ultrasound, and with my DD and my current pregancy I didn't have an early ultrasound done and had no problems, I don't know if there is a connection there but I just personally would steer clear of them in the future before 12 weeks.

I had lots of u/s from bleeding, first I was told I had miscarried but Ryan was still there but couldnt detect a heartbeat (too early) so I came back 2 1/2 weeks later to see if he had been miscarried or if he was fine, and there he was. I had the NT scan for downs, had the 18wk morphology, had a 28wk for really heavy bleeding, and one at 37wks for a study at the hospital as I sort of thought if I participated I might get a bit better looked after than if I said no lol

Mum's keep saying that they are having ultrasounds in order to find out that their baby is ok. However, medicos are performing the ultrasounds in order to find the babies who are not ok.

If you want to have these tests, you also have to be prepared to hear that something is not quite right, or they are not sure if all is well.

Inititally when we weighed it up we decided to only have the 20 w ultrasound. We decided to decline the 12 w on the basis that we wouldn't terminate anyway, so it seemed of no great value to us, and we weren't interested in 3d/4d u/s. So I was supposed to have only the one u/s.

However, I had bleeding until 9 weeks so was referred for a u/s to check viability. Then at 12 w I had such bad pains that I ended up in the ER and I had a quick u/s there - mostly to check that my left ovary wasn't twisted as they thought that might have been causing the pain. Finally, at the 20 w ultrasound the growth was off the bottom of the chart so I was referred for a level 2 u/s to confirm growth and try to rule out acondroplasia (dwarfism). The growth was fine.

So despite my best intentions I've ended up with 4 ultrasounds - 2 very quick ones and 2 hour-long ones. I also get dopplared each time I see the midwife to check for heatbeat and as far as I know its similar technology. I'm not 100% happy about how its played out but what can you do? I wouldn't have been happy if they wanted to do a u/s at every visit which I know some OB's do.

Next time I think I'll go in with similar intentions - a single 20 w u/s - and go from there.

Anyway, I don't think its a big deal if someone declines the u/s. as long as there is some sort of medical care throughout the pregnancy, ie, midwife visits, etc. If all medical care was being declined I'd be a little concerned.

Without the 20 week ultrasound we wouldn't have known our son had a large cleft lip,gum and palate till birth. Already knowing and being prepared was a life saver, and also meant we had the proper medical equipment ready to go. I dont think i could handle not checking on my bub at least once during a pregnancy.

With my first pregnancy we declined the 12 week us beacuse i was young and healthy and wouldn't terminate if downs was an issue, and then when i got to the 18 week us we discovered my son had severe organ abnormalities which MAY or MAY not have been able to be detected at 12 weeks. I had to terminate at 18 weeks as his organs where not formed to an extent that no surgery or help could be done to save him, he has severve renal (kidney) problems and this had caused him to retain fluid and that fluid went pretty much straight to his brain and his enlarged kidney (only one) had caused his bladder and stomach and heart to be deformed.
    He was still alive at that stage, however he was dying, and would have definatley died at some stage before birth and rather than wait we terminated then. I had to birth him as i was 18 weeks, and i guess part of me felt at the time that maybe, just maybe if i had have had the 12 weeks scan, we could have picked up on something and either something could have been done, or i may have terminated then by D&C and not had to give birth, which was unbeleivably traumatic for me.
    I have since had a few early m/c which i never got to the 12 week mark to have a scan, and then my daughter who i had a date test (9 weeks), then the 12 week NT, then the 18 week where we discovered i had a single vein single artery umbillical chord, you are supposed to have two veins i think (which is apparently often a sign of possible kidney problems, but they were ok this time, i had a perfect chord with my son) so the dr recomended a 32-35 week scan to check for growth, which i had at 34 weeks and 6 days and the dr picked up on a bleed on the placenta which had formed a clot and sent me home only for the clot to break free 24 hours later and cause a placental abrubtion which caused me to loose my daughter.

I guess i am trying to say, even without u/s things can go wrong, and even when things are wrong and you have an us things STILL dont always go right.

I am pregnant again now and i have had one scan at 8 weeks and i will have another at 12 weeks, and then being "high risk" i will have weekly ctg monitoring and possibly more scans if anything looks hairy (definatley NOT with the dr who picked up on a bleeding clot and sent me home!!!) and just hope and prey that it all goes well.

I will also be camping out near the hospital from about 30 weeks LOL just incase i feel funny, i am only two minutes away from the hospital rather than 45 minutes!!

Wow, Starbright, what a story ..... you have had such a rough time, i have tears reading your post.
    Wishing you all the best for your current pregnancy, cant wait to see your announcement to let us all know your beautiful bub has come into the world!

Thanks cat, i see from your sig you too have had a tough time, i double the baby dust and sticky vibes to you too!!

Its weird, i am feeling pretty positive this time, (also maybe a little in denial) i just have the thought, It CANT go wrong AGAIN!! Plus its the first time i have done this with sooooo much support from sooooo many kind thoughtful people like yourself, which i beleive helps play a part in how i feel.

Thanks again xoxox

Thankyou starbright, and lots and lots of sticky, healthy vibes for you!

Oh Starbright ,i'm so sorry for what u have been through & u too Cat.My thoughts & prayers r with u for sticky vibes ,a healthy ,peaceful pregnancy & a beautiful bubs at the end

Hmm.. i say its her life her choice. If she doesnt wish to have them then to me really its no one elses business.
    I dont think ultrasounds are necessary, being they werent around when my mum was pregnant and most back then turned out fine. As for radiation, it hasnt been proven, and there also alot of babies that have turned out fine after going through ultrasounds, my son being one of them.

Im not against them dont get me wrong, i am having them with my children, now a days its there for use to check how the baby is developing and that everything is fine. If someone doesnt wish to find those things out then i guess its just personal choice.

Starbright.. im so sorry for your experience. for you.
    Last edited by ShootingStar; January 20th, 2008 at 07:44 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast