Thread: Normal PG symptom or thrush?

Default Normal PG symptom or thrush?

I always get a lot of extra CM when PG and I know that is totally normal but lately I've been feeling a bit sore & sensitive down there, almost like the skin's really dry IYKWIM? Could it be thrush (I've never had it before so I'm not sure how it's supposed to feel!) or is it just the extra CM changing the ph balance or something and making things feel drier?

I suppose I should just make an appt to see my GP hey LOL. How do they test for thrush anyway? And if it's not thrush is there anything I can do to get rid of that dry feeling?

Thanks!

Last edited by Angel; December 5th, 2006 at 11:15 AM.

Hi Angel,
    Last pregnancy I developed a bit of a dislikening to DP's spermies. So everytime we had sex it would burn and burn! At my normal check up (it must have been around the 32w or so??) I told my dr, and she gave me a double referral at the time of the GBS swab. It was basically exactly the same thing, they just do the long cotton bud up the foofer and test what comes back on it.
    Mine was actually negative for thrush, so I dont know whether the pH of things down there was all upset or what, but as soon as I had the baby, the burning sensation went.

Worth just checking in with your GP I reckon. No point in being uncomfy when you dont have to be!!

Sounds like it could possibly be thrush Angel. You take In-Liven don't you? I had thrush a few weeks ago, and it was no-where near as bad as I have had it in the past - just a slight abmount of curdy looking discharge and that dry/stinging/itching feeling down there - not the horrid clumps of discharge and intense burning. So I think that by me having the In-Liven that my thrush was lessened, does that make sense. try not to use soap down there, cause that can dry it out more. I haven't ever had thrush during pg, so I don't know what the recommended treatment would be for it.

You're a lucky woman to never have had it before though!

You can take the 7day creams - I think its canestan?? The pharmacist can tell you which one is OK do take. I had my first ever dose of thrush with my last pregnancy.
    My GP told me not to do the short treatment ones as they generally dont knock the thrush on the head during pregnancy. But I wouldn't take anything until you have been to the GP and maybe done a swab.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'd best make a GP appt just to be sure by the sounds of it. I hope it's not thrush... DH & I have only just started DTD again, he won't be impressed LOL!

Sherie, yep I do take In-Liven. Might have to up my dose for a while if it is thrush.

Hi Angel, I hope it's not thrush and that it's just a hormonal change thing.
    Does anyone know if it is safe to have those yakult drinks during pregnancy? I've had thrush a couple of times, last time being right at the start of this pg and yakult really helped clear it up faster. Course, didn't realise I was preggers at the start and then had major panic attack about having used the canesten until I was reassured that it was ok! Forgot to check about the yakult, though... Anyway, if it is safe (haven't heard otherwise) it can really help with regulating those natural microorganisms, I reckon.
    All the best.

Cool

I'm at the tail end of a thrush outbreak (meh) (and sorry for the unintentional pun) and discussed with my ob/gyn.

He's OK'd the caneston once-pessary with additional cream, and also yakult for me.

Other than that he said to expect it, as its very common.

Hope this helps.

Kaz.