Thread: Not Doppler but the other thing to hear HB

Default Not Doppler but the other thing to hear HB

I am thinking of buying one those HB monitor things from Kmart, that you put on your belly and there are head phones that let you hear the bub's HB...

Anyway, just wondering when they work from, are they safe, and if they work ok??????

Thanks

Hey Mel09 - I bought one of these and they work just fine. We found it a little hard to pick up the heart beat as I don't think they are as strong as the dopplers but they are good all the same. We did use some better headsets then the one provided which helped. I think the further along you get the easier it is. I know that they work starting from 21 - 28 weeks and are apparently safe to use (even safer then dopplers which shouldn't be used all the time). But I think its a great bargain!! Hope this helps

I only paid $40.00 for mine Emma! \/

If they start to work from 21 - 28 weeks, why would you need to hear the HB? Wouldn't you just rely on feeling movements? I'm just curious that's all. Wouldn't want you wasting money (like I did with a doppler, but I used it before I felt movements)

LOL I can't answer that Alison... though it definately works as a doppler I think it is more of a 'commercial' thing IYKWIM. I found it has been great for other people to have a listen - so DP, my best friend, parents etc.. gets them involved as they can't feel the movement themselves and sometimes its hard to get bubs to perfom when people are paying attention LOL. People are actually quite amazed that you can hear movement etc...

Actually you've just given me a thought - next time I feel bubs having the hiccups I might have a listen to see what that sounds like!

I havent used my doppler in over 10 weeks since I couldnt find a heartbeat on it and was convinced I had lost the baby. Midwife made me promise I wouldn't use it again

The kmart one sounds like it's more like a stethescope, if so it would be completely safe to use

Thanks heaps guys,

I was hoping that it would work from now so that untill I start feeling bubs I could listen and feel more relaxed!!!

May have to think about it a bit more....

When do Dopplers work from?