Thread: Not really preg related but sort of...

Default Not really preg related but sort of...

Ok this might sound weird.
    Run your finfer along the bottom rib up to the center where it meets your sternum & tell me, is your sternum flat? Like does it just nicely flow over to the other side?

Reason I ask is mine doesn't. Mine seems to have like a tail that is about an inch long. Its always been this way & thought it was normal. But when I was pg with Glenn I was telling DH about how much pressure Glenn was putting on it & it felt like it might snap off. he didn't know what I was talking about so I showed him & he hasn't got it. Neither does a friend of mine who I asked to feel hers. So am I weird with my little tail or is it one of those "some do, some don't" things.

This little bubba is starting to push on it as well.

There is a small bony bit at the bottom of the sternum called the xiphoid process (kind of shaped like an upside down triangle with the pointy bit to the bottom). Everyone has it but you look slightly built so you might be able to feel it better than the rest of us *padded* people. Some stick up a little more than others too.

yeah I have just been googling "sternum" & found that there is a cartlidge tip. this probably what it is. Ok so not so weird after all LOL

Before I had babies mine was flat now it sort of sticks out a bit. One of my midwives told me that your ribcage often changes during pregnancy and if it does it will never go back to how it was

Just like a lot of things Chlo!

Mine is there but doesn't stick out much.

Xiphoid process - that is such a cool little bit of name-knowledge! Thanks Michelle!

I can feel mine, it's not really sticky-outy but it is there.

No problem Ryn - something from my training stuck

Flat for me!

I cant even feel my sternum, and I have never been able to feel it ever..

Where is my sternum supposed to be?
    Ah forget it, I can't see my toes or the underside of my belly, my sternum can just be left in peace

Yes, I discovered mine a couple of years ago, thought something was wrong with me. Glad to know its' normal xoxo

Nelle, I'm sure you can feel and see your sternum, it's the vertical bone between your boobs, down the middle of your chest where your ribs join up at the front. On really skinny people you can actually see the ribs and sternum.

I can barely find my xiphoid process at all, it's totally an 'innie' in me and I have to reallt press and poke to feel it!