Thread: Nurofen and pregnancy

Default Nurofen and pregnancy

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has taken nurofen for cramps or headaches while they were actually pregnant but before they realised it. Does anyone know how harmful that could be? I also use my laptop on my lap alot, what do people think about the dangers of radiation from that for the foetus?
    Cheers, ;-)
    Rach

HI Rach
    You should NOT take Nurofen during pregnancy as it may be associated with some congenital anomalies (anencephaly, cerebral palsy, microphthalmia, nasal cleft and tooth staining) and fetal death - if taken in 1st trimester. Use in 3rd trimester may cause problems with fetal renal function. It can also inhibit labour and prolong pregnancy.

Not sure about radiation but the amount that is emitted from your laptop is so small it will not make any difference - I too sit with my laptop on my lap.

HTH - try Panadeine as a pain killer instead.

Fire Fly Guest

Totally agree with Tess, big no no. It also has an agent in it that thins the blood so its not a good idea, even when you breastfeeding is bad.
    I wouldnt be concerned about the laptop either.

Thanks for your replies. I am not sure If I am pregnant but I am starting to wonder, or worry, that I am and I took Nurofen on Friday when I had some cramps with what I thought was my normal AF - which it may have been. However, it turned out to be only 2 days (finished the following day) and lighter than normal, though heavier than spotting. Normally my AF is heavy for a week. A HPT this morning (2 days after AF due and some bleeding) still came up negative so I very well may not be pregnant. But the 2 day lighter, AF, strange tasting breakfast and darker, bigger aereoli (spelling?) have me v confused at the moment?? Anyway, hopefully if I am the Nurofen would have caused no harm. I will probably get a blood test if I'm still confused and can ask the Doc about the Nurofen then ;-)
    Rach

Tigergirl1980 Guest

You can also take panadol for pain relief, this is safe if you are infact pregnant.

spreckemily Guest

Rach,

Before I realised I was pregnant I was taking nurofen PLUS for a muscular condition. This occured for a month.

I am now 39 weeks and I have had numerous scans and my baby is VERY healthy and in excellent condition. Don't stress about having taken nurofen, and switch instantly to panadol.

Kirsty77 Guest

Hay Rach

I took nurofen before I knew I was pregnant and it had no affects on Gemma at all.

Thanks very much for all your replies, I feel much more reassured now. Now I just have to confirm if I am pregnant or not....will keep you updated. Re headaches, there is also a pressure point I believe in the webbing between the thumb and index finger which you can gently massage to help headaches. Might be worth a try ;-)
    Rach

Hi - as for the radiation..
    I work in IT, and work til 38 weeks at my computer (and at home with my laptop) and Milo was fine.
    So it didnot seem to have an effect on him.

Rach I took Nurofen whilst in first tri, I didn't know I was pg, as we had stopped trying after 2nd m/c. I was really worrid when I found out, but Ob and fertility spec, said that it should be fine, as bub's has progressed nicely, and there has been no sign of anything wrong.

Obviosly don't take it now, if you think that you are pg, or if you find out you are...

I hope you get a nice BFP looking back up at you soon... GL

I took something in Vietnam from a nurse that couldn't speak English. We weren't sure at the time I was pregnant, and it didn't seem liek something to ask anyway.
    I think it had an anti-inflammatory in it, but really I dont have a clue.
    Jenna is pretty normal - fairly hyperactive, but I figure thats just her father's genes
    Hope you get some good news in a couple of days!

Default Much confusion.........

Thanks everyone. It really is great to hear other peoples stories. I am getting a BT tomorrow due to the confusing array of symptoms but only BFN so far. My AF was due Friday just gone, came lightly and stopped the next day. I've never in my life had an AF that did that!!! Usually it's at least 4-7 days and HEAVY. I had cramps for the whole week leading up to my AF, my areola seem to be spreading daily (!) and everything tastes funny. But my boobs aren't sore and still only BFN. Today would be 14 days since we DTD. Anyway, it could be just a change in my cycle out of the blue...who knows.... If I was pregnant wouldn't the test have shown it by now??

The only other explanation is I seemed to have had a chemical m/s last month (is that what it's called?). Showed +ve twice but -ve on the day AF due and came as per normal. Otherwise that cycle was normal re the cramps etc. My areola didn't change and i had no symptoms that month even though i was +ve for a few days. Does anyone think the chemical m/s could have affected this months cycle?
    Rach

Sounds to me like implantation bleeding! This is normally about when your period was due, and usually only last for a day or two. A bit exciting!
    If it were me, given the terrible tester that I am I would probably go out and get a test ready to do on my first morning wee. This is usually where the hormones are at their strongest and you will more likely get a BFP if you are pregnant.
    This pregnancy it took til about 3-4 days after AF was due before I got a half decent result on the stick.
    Good luck - if thats what you are after

Crossing my fingers and toes for you Rach, but sounds like ti to me...especially the funny tastes.
    Don't feel bad about the nurofen though - I've worked with heaps of drug addicted women over the years, and their babies are fine - those drugs are SO much worse than 2 nurofen.

spreckemily Guest

Good Luck and

there are homeopathic remedies you can take that are available at pharmacies. Consult a pharmacist and GOOD LUCK!!!!

Goodluck Rach
    Sounding very much like it to me. Another sure sign is that you need to pee way more than usual. I didn't actually notice I was doing this but my DH did. Fingerscrossed for you!

Thanks everyone. I went to the Doc this morning and just did a normal test which was BFN. She said I'm probably not pregnant and I probably just didn't ovualte this month which caused the light, short AF - but just to wait and see what happens next month. So that's ok - I'll just assume I'm not and see what happens. But I'm sure I ovulated (had EWCM), I've never had a short AF before and everything tastes funny. I'll just wait and see I guess and take it as it comes. I am off on a 5 week holiday to the UK - never been before, v exciting! Thanks for all your advice.
    Rach

Debmac Guest

Hi Rach,

I wouldn't take the nurofen either, but I have just found out about the laptop not being good. I have had 2 pregnancies with anencephaly, and am now seeing a natural fertility therapist, and he has advised me to stop using my laptop on my lap (which I never really have anyway) and to think about getting rid of it for a PC as there is some radiation that comes from it, whether this is true or not, I am looking for a PC as we speak!!!

Enjoy your day.

Love Deb