Thread: Oh, my hip!

Custardtart Guest

Default Oh, my hip!

I woke up at 5:30 this morning with a screaming pain through the joint of my left hip. I can't think of anything specific I have done to set this off, and have been carefully doing gentle exercise throughout the pregnancy with the aim of minimising hip and back pain, both of which I am at risk of after my last pregnancy.
    Has anyone else had this issue, and what helps besides heatpacks? I'm going to go see my physio asap, but this just hit me out of the blue.
    I know there are a few of you out there who also have hip pain as a result of the hormones that loosen ligaments during pregnancy, and I'm hoping for some advice.
    What can I do to help this, and how can I prevent a recurrence? Anyone?

Kerrie

Yep, I been having left hip pain & lower back pain probably for 10 wks already, I have been seeing myu chiro every week -2 weeks & it's perfect for about 5 days until it slowly goes out again, but he gave me some exercises for stretching my hips out, helps a little... But ask your physio...
    I feel seriously 10000000% & could hop, skip, jump & run after seeing chiro for atleast 3 days.. Makes a world of difference!!!

Me too!!

My ob told me to take Panadeine before going to bed and also gave me a pregnancy support belt which you wear around your pelvis.

Helped alot!!

I also know that if I do too much walking, vacuuming etc it will be there!

Hope this helps!

Kirsty77 Guest

I have found that gentle walking helps my hip pain for about 2 days after and I sleep so well.But then it comes back.I can't really do much vacuuming or house work as it makes it so much worse.I have also woken up a few times crying because the pain was so intense.I now take panadol before I go to bed.I think what sets it off for me is not rolling over often enough from one hip to the other.My left hip is by far the worst though.

i seem to get the worst hop pain when i sleep too long on one side. which of course is easy to do as there are limited options of positions to sleep in.

so now i consiously change sides whenever i get up to go to the loo (often enough) and have found this to help.

hope you are able to minimise this pain kerrie

Linda

Are you using a pillow under your belly when you sleep on your side? I'm not very big yet but already need a pillow under belly and between my knees to stop cramps...

Custardtart Guest

Thanks for the replies, girls.
    I'm already walking and doing hydrotherapy, as well as using an arrangement of pillows to sleep on. I guess I'll just have to grin and bear it, and take panadol if it gets too bad.
    I'm booked in at my physio tomorrow morning (the man with the magic hands) so hopefully that will help ease it.

Kerrie