Thread: Is this ok to take?

Default Is this ok to take?

I have Xergic which is a hayfever relever. It doesn't have suedo-ethidrine(sp) and doesn't say anything about not taking it during pregnancy. It has fexofenadine hydrochloride. Would this be ok to take? I just cannot stand this blocked nose, its making it too hard to breathe

Just try Googling the drug names & you should get some answers.
    This far into your PG I would use it for the relief. I personally think Sleep is important! LOL, But do check withwhat you can find on the net & then if your not 100% about it, hold out till tomorrow & check with the chemist or M/W.

ETA: If this helps any...
    Use in Pregnancy:

Category B2. Reproductive toxicity of fexofenadine in animals was assessed through terfenadine exposure. No evidence of teratogenicity was observed in animal reproduction studies (rat and rabbit) when terfenadine was given at oral doses of up to 300 mg/kg/day throughout organogenesis, which corresponds to levels of systemic fexofenadine exposure (AUC) four- and 32-fold higher, respectively, than those anticipated in clinical use. Decreased pup weight and survival occurred in rats when terfenadine was given at oral doses of 150 mg/kg/day and above throughout pregnancy and lactation.
    There are no studies in pregnant women exposed to fexofenadine alone or through the administration of terfenadine.

Australian categorisation definition of:

Category B2:

Drugs which have been taken by only a limited number of pregnant women and women of childbearing age, without an increase in the frequency of malformation or other direct or indirect harmful effects on the human foetus having been observed.
    Studies in animals are inadequate or may be lacking, but available data show no evidence of an increased occurrence of foetal damage.

Use in Lactation:

Xergic is not recommended for nursing women unless, in the physician's judgment, the potential benefit to the patient outweighs the potential risk to the infant. There are no data on the content of human milk after administering fexofenadine. However, when terfenadine was administered to nursing mothers, fexofenadine was found to cross into human breast milk.
    Exposure of rats to fexofenadine and terfenadine through the administration of terfenadine at dietary doses of 150 and 300 mg/kg/day throughout pregnancy and lactation (corresponding to systemic exposure at levels (AUC) approximately 3- and 6-fold higher than those anticipated in clinical use) caused decreased pup weight gain and survival. The relative risks of these effects from terfenadine or fexofenadine are unknown. Effects on pups exposed to fexofenadine only during lactation are unknown.
    Last edited by *Efjay*; September 10th, 2006 at 09:56 PM.