Thread: ooooh heartburn!

Default ooooh heartburn!

I thought I'd had heartburn this pregnancy, but nothing compared to last night! I woke up and I could hear it burning my chest, and the pain was just incredible. I ended up sitting and leaning forward for 4 hours, it slightly eased it.

I realized if it's going to be like that, I need something to take for it, milk just didn't cut it last night like I'd been using.

I worry about the aluminium content in the antacid medications and also the sodium bicarnate. So what is the best thing recommended does anyone know?

Please share your heartburn remedies

What did you have for dinner? Could something have triggered it?

dr told me that things like mylanta are fine... its awfull isn't it i get some really full on indegestion

I havent had it until just this last week - but more reflux than heartburn - always at night,(every night) and it kills! Mylanta is fine as long as you dont exceed recommended dosage, and Ive also heard that Zantac is fine and has helped a few of my belly buddy friends! Also try avoiding citrus drinks, caffeine, eating just before bed and try lying propped up on a couple of pillows!! Good luck - I hope you find something that works for you!

You poor thing. I can't drink anything other than milk without risking heartburn!

My doc's got me on Zantac - you can have 2 tablets per 24-hour period. Rennie is aluminium free, but I've found I need to have the 2 tablets at once to make an impact. You can get aluminium-free Mylanta too.

Wack a couple of bricks under the head of your bed, and raise your head up as much as possible. If you have to pick something up, don't bend from the waist, rather, bend from the knees so you keep your torso upright.

As Tan mentioned, don't eat just before bed - my doc recommended tea around 6-7pm and then my Zantac 1/2 hour after that.

Good luck!

Mylanta was my friend... lol. Rennie worked too, but for me Mylanta worked a bit better than the Rennies. Milk was good if it was just mild heartburn.

I also found just sitting up for a while after eating prevented it a bit. My heartburn was always so much worse if I went to bed soon after eating. Really carby type foods set it off for me, as did citrus stuff. Nutella was probably the worst and gave me shocking heartburn... and Chocolate (boohooo) gave me bad heartburn too.

hope you can find a good remedy.

I feel your pain!!! I've had terrible heartburn through this pg - it probably started around 25 weeks and has just continued to get worse - it's terribly painful and my OB has also got me taking Zantac!! It's been brilliant too and I highly recommend it. It's the only thing that has worked for me and the best thing is that one tablet lasts for 12 hours - so I'm now taking a tablet ever 12 hours. It's great and I only start feeling the heartburn return when I'm getting close to the 12 hours being up!!!

I was worried about taking them at first and every time I went back to the OB and complained about my heartburn he'd tell me off for NOT taking the tablets. He assures me that it's completely safe and to stop being so stupid!!

I've also heard stories from others that didn't take anything for their heartburn with their first child and that child had terrible reflux. Then for the next, they took Zantac for their heartburn and the next child didn't suffer any reflux at all. Might have just been a coincidence but it's enough to get me taking it!!!

Good luck!!

Kelly xxx

LizzysMum Guest

I had unbelievable heart burn with my first - I am bracingmyself with this one.

I had to sleep a bit upright and Mylanta was also my best friend. You could also try vanilla or honey yogurt as it is thicker than milk it may help a bit.

I feel for you!

Thanks girls for your replies and ideas!

Nat, I ate meat that night which I really haven't eaten much of this pregnancy, so that probably explains why it got so bad.

I did an archive search here and saw that chelleg said at work they suggest trying fruit tingles. I thought there was no way that would work, but I had it all day yesterday (albeit not anywhere as bad as the previous night) and DP went and got my some fruit tingles with some quickeze for backup. I sucked on three fruit tingles through the day and it really worked! I had no heart burn last night, even though I ate stew for tea.

I'll definately try mylanta next time I think, there were just no chemists open the last couple of days, I'm very excited these fruit tingles seem to work for now.

Haha, was that the post for me? I still have fruit tingles in the fridge (bloody ants like them too) They do work to an extent still, when it is night-time and I am out of mylanta I have been known to eat a few tingles and it stops it for a few hours, much better than nothing that is for sure.

i went with mylanta - nothing else seemed to do it for me - though half te time the taste made me throw up - i found that if i got too hungry then i would get it worse so try to snack a wee bit to keep the acid where it should - also orange juice was a no no - but i lived on apple juice... Good luck!!

AJ I am with you on the taste of mylanta, I often think why waste the money I could just have a teaspoon of bi carb soda instead, it tastes nearly the same, although I am getting used to it now.

i has such bad heartburn the other night that i threw up at least 8 times!! it was so bad!!

i had a gaviscon too- will that hurt my baby??

i use rennie tablets - they seem to work really well for me and are simply calcium and magnesium.

Gaviscon is fine princess.

For the really bad of sufferers please go get a script from your doctor, I got a script for Pariet and I finally don't suffer any more. I was taking the extra strength Zantac tablets as well as having Gaviscon or Tums or Mylanta and it doesn't even come close to the relief I feel now. I am sorry I waited so long.