Thread: O'seas travel in Second Tri? advice/thoughts experiences please

Default O'seas travel in Second Tri? advice/thoughts experiences please

Hi,

Wondering if you can share any thoughts, experiences or advice about o'seas travel during pregnancy, particularly the second trimester?

I need to be in the UK for 2 months for study provided all is OK. My ob is fine with this as long as we have excluded any potential problems.

Besides the worry about being away from DH and potentially putting our child at risk (naturally), I am most worried abut the possibility of m/s and fatigue NOT going away by 18 weeks. And what people might think or say - silly, but disapproval really hurts.

So any advice or thoughts? Is this possible??

Thanks

hi there
    I think stop worrying about what people will say - you need to do what is best for you and your (growing) family and sometimes that isnt what we naturally think we should do... I think sometimes people forget that we have all these other things going on, aside from and on top of, being pregnant. If your OB thinks it is OK to go, and you and your DH think it is doable then you should do it. After all you are not sick you are pregnant and people have managed to do lots of things whilst pregnant (my DH's grandmother was telling me stories about being pregnant in Siberia during WW2 on the weekend and that humbled me no end). I know it is considered 'safe' to fly thru the 2 tri and as always I think you should take your OB advice on that one. I have just come back fromthe UK, and I will tell you the public system is difficult to manouvere but if you did need them, they have wonderful drs. If you have private ins here, it may transfer across there (mine did the other way) which would put your mind at ease.
    I think everyone is diff re tiredness in 2nd tri - personally I am already feeling much more myself and I am finding the more I do at work, with the house, other interests etc the better as it makes the preg go faster and it stops me from worrying about every little thing!
    Sorry I am rambling, I think you need to go with your gut instinct and your OB advice but if you want to do it and it seems doable then dont let the perceptions of others deter you.

Where abouts in the UK, Queenie?

I'd say that it would be fine to travel, at least at 5m pregnant people may give you a seat on the tube. I travelled at 3m pg and no-one gave me a seat! You may not even be showing too much at 18w, so you won't have to worry about comments on the way out, even at 26w you may still just be looking a bit on the larger side if you wear something a little baggy, so that should stop any and all comments.

The only thing with the hospitals is that as your pregnancy is a "pre-existing condition" you'll need private insurance to be able to get your scans and things whilst over here. But if you have a fall or any worries then you will be treated without any problems - in fact, getting money from overseas people is something the NHS doesn't really follow up with, that's why it's so broke!

Good luck with your studies and I hope the second trimester treats you well.

Hi Queenie, sorry this is not quite what you're after, but we went on a month-long camping holiday in the second tri (but not o'seas). I felt great, really enjoyed the change of scene and doing different things - it invigorated me and yes, made the pregnancy go a bit faster. I know this is different to your situation, but I hope you can be encouraged by it.
    People love to be disapproving of pregnant women - you are among the more vulnerable members of society. I know it's hard not to be affected by things people say, but you are a responsible person, you are your own person and your pregnancy is just that - yours. Go on your trip if you feel healthy and up to it, and enjoy it!

My partner is a pilot and we travel a lot. At about 11-13 weeks we spent 2 weeks in the states, came to Australia for 2 weeks around week 26-28 and had numerous other trips including one I just got home from yesterday at 35 + 5.

Unless you think you would find the trip very stressful under normal circumstances, then I'd say go for it. Most things like this are easier to do before the baby comes anyway and you don't now if you'll be able to get the opportunity again.

awesome, thanks! Reading these makes me feel a lot better - I think I've just ben feeling so low with the m/s that I feel as if I will never get better. ugh.

Ryn - I'll be in the good ol' town of the underground but am not banking on a seat! hopefully just walk where possible. Have checked out the travel insurance and Australian firms will only cover up to 26 weeks - but how nasty is this? they'll cover "unforseeable medical emergency" but not "childbirth under any circumstances or at any time": like childbirth in your second tri isn't a medical emergency??? go figure...

Hi there. I think that you'll be fine travelling os. I flew over here from the UK when I was 31 weeks and had no problems. I just got a check up and a fit to fly letter from my UK doc vefore travelling. I think the airlines main concern is you going into labour during the flight , and unless you were doing regular long haul flights there is no danger to your baby. Make sure you get some good flight socks, get up and walk around regularly, drink lots of water and try and sleep as much as possible. I found that the only real problem was getting comfortable as I was so big, but the staff really looked after me. If you can, try and get the bulkhead aisle seat in the middle as you get lots of extra leg space and not too much traffic passing by, plus you might end up next to a cute baby and get some tips on travelling with a tiny one. Good luck