thread: In Pain - and really worried about coping

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Mar 2009
    283

    printed epstein

    Thanks for your words of support and advice girls. You're right - I think it is the hormones making things worse. With everything being so much looser (and I have hypermobile joints anyway) its just so much easier to do small injuries and aggravate old ones! I probably need to make more of an effort to stay active, I've been slowing down a bit as the pregnancy progresses. Best wishes for the exciting arrival later this month Becs-bubs!
    Tilda

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Sep 2009
    58

    I had a horsing riding accident as a child and have had terrible pain on and off since then. When I was pregnant with both my kids my back got way worse. To the point with my 2nd child where I was in sheer agony. But once I had him, it got a lot better. As someone else said, the hormones seem to make the pain worse, plus you are carrying quite a few kgs of extra weight, HTH

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Jan 2009
    Melbourne
    283

    I haven't had to deal with chronic pain myself but (as a naturopathic student) I would like to add to Bec's excellent list of suggestions lots of good quality high dose Fish Oil. The essential fatty acids in them are not only excellent anti-inflammatories but are also involved in the mood hormone pathways so will help aleviate depression . You should start to see results for inflammatory pain in a couple of weeks - mood takes longer.
    Please see a specialist health store and don't go for those cheap brands with the enormous packages - you need to take 10 of those a day to get anywhere near the dose you'll need so it won't be cost-effective.
    Good luck - I really hope you can get on top of the pain without returning to the Endep

  4. #4
    Registered User

    Feb 2007
    ACT
    681

    Tilda, I have been in a similar sittiuation to you. I have lower back injury where some days I need help to get out of bed and can hardly walk at times. Have you done any pain managment courses, I did and it help heaps.

    Just to let you know the best change table and bath that I have used is what I have now for dd#3, whish I had gotten it for the other two. It goes over your big bath so no lifting baby baths full or water etc. My now 6 yr old tried it out last year and still fitted in it. Google little bear. With my first two I had to make sure I pushed then out to the car in the pram then transfer them to car and visa versa, this time I use the unity capsule and could click it on and off my pram. Make sure the pram you get has handles at the right hight or it can make things worse. It took me a little while to figure that one out.

    On my realy bad days I spent most of the time on floor with bub so I would not drop them. It does get worse towards the end of pregnancy, I suggest afterwards to see a physio to help strengthen things.

    I hope this helps, if you need any other advise from someone in a similar sitiuation please let me know

  5. #5
    Registered User

    Mar 2009
    283

    Thanks Sweetpea! The little bear bath/change table looks great! We might be moving interstate to Melbourne or Sydney just before or just after the baby (just to add to the excitement!) so that will be something I definitely look into once I know what sort of bathroom we'll have. I think I'll also look into pain management clinics and courses when I get there. I know there a couple of good ones in both cities. But if you have any recommendations let me know! When you had to leave them on the floor and spend time with them there, did they mind? I'm worried I won't be able to keep her stimulated and happy. Do they just adjust to what you can and can't do?

    And Koru, thanks for the fish oil tip. I take some as part of a multivitamin but probably not near enough!

    Thanks again all!

    Tilda

  6. #6
    Registered User

    Feb 2007
    ACT
    681

    hi Tilda,

    They coped really well with it, they would sleep in there bouncer or on me. It was just safer for the bad days. Even now I have days where I try not to go out or carry bub much.

    In saying that though I have found that my back copes better if I am out all day carrying her in a carrier such as a mai tai or ergo than pushing a pram, but I think that is because my injury is between L4, L5 and S1.

    Yeah the little bear is great and I found the customer service excellent

  7. #7
    Registered User

    Jun 2009
    Gold Coast
    134

    Thanks for your words of support and advice girls. You're right - I think it is the hormones making things worse. With everything being so much looser (and I have hypermobile joints anyway) its just so much easier to do small injuries and aggravate old ones! I probably need to make more of an effort to stay active, I've been slowing down a bit as the pregnancy progresses. Best wishes for the exciting arrival later this month Becs-bubs!
    Tilda
    Thanks, Tilda x I wish he'd hurry up and come out, to be honest LOL.....my pelvis and lower back are certainly feeling the pressure at the moment. Off for another acupuncture session on Thursday, and he's agreed to use the induction points as well, so fingers crossed.....