Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pain relief during labour

I didn't want anything, was happy to opt for heat and massage, but ended up trying gas (absolutely hated it - it took the good bit of coming down after each contraction) and then had an epidural. I had a great epi, had some side effects (the dreaded shakes) but everything else was fine after an OK forceps delivery.
    I found heat and massage VERY effective, and would more than likely have been able to go for another couple of hours if my contractions hadn't been 90secs apart for 2-3 hrs.

Whatever you choose has its consequences. Even the rubbing - well I sported a MASSIVE bruise on my sciatic (upper right bum) spot for about 10 days because of all the rubbing I had. LMAO!!

My sister used a TENS machine, and didn't get too much out of it, and she did hire it beforehand and practise with it.
    My SIL has a TENS machine installed in her back and finds the pain relief wonderful. She has a very bad back and is now virtually pain medication free (had spent considerable amounts of time on morphine so is good )

The thing with the gas is that it takes a little while to work. You have to start before the pain so as soon as you feel the contraction - start sucking. Dont wait for the bad pain or you'll be feeling the effects of the gas when the contraction is finished. If you feel that you COULD use it during your labour, you should learn how to use it properly. Dont wait until you're in too much pain to learn.

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Rae, I totally agree. I had certain things that I was going to avoid at all costs, simply because I had been there and done that and knew the flip side of some of those interventions. If you are able to become more informed then it gives you the added stamina to avoid those things.

I was actually able to remember and use these things while in labour (Well up until transition anyway, when the midwives and OBS reminded me that I did not need them! lol!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12