Thread: Pains

Thumbs down Pains

I just sneezed and OMG the pain that shot through my lower tummy was so bad

its gone now...but is this normal?

Kirsty77 Guest

Yep.Its everything stretchng down there. Wait till your heavily pregnant, it feels like you'll sneeze bub out!!!

Totally normal Danni! I remember getting the same thing when I was PG with Kynan and my OB said it was nothing to worry about. I ended up having to brace myself every time I sneezed LOL.

Yeah - at the physio class we had at hospital, they teach you something called "the knack". Its basically bracing everytime you cough or sneeze, and it helps to protect your pelvic floor from damage (and potentially stop you weeing yourself down the track )
    You basically brace your pelvic floor like you are doing a lift while you sneeze or cough. Try it next time!

Normal, and it gets worse. I was told that, if you have a cold/cough, to put your hand on your baby as you cough/sneeze to help "hold everything together". OK, mad reasoning, but it actually does help with the pain.

Yep - totally normal. I remember getting those exact pains when sneezing...used to freak me out too.

I'm sooo glad you posted that Danni - I've been sneezing quite a bit lately and it feels really weird. I'm only 6wks and it hurts already, can't imagine how bad it's going to get. I just naturally hold my tummy when I'm about to sneeze now - very discrete - EVERYONE's going to guess I'm pg!!!!

Yep I remember that feeling when sneezing etc... It can be SO painful, almost like something has torn inside..

The other bit of trivia in relation to sneezing.........it is one of the bodys most common but most violent movements......enough to trigger double ovulation.......old wives tales have it that women that are prone to a lot of sneezing (ie some women can look up to the suns rays to induce sneezing for example) have higher rates of fraternal twins...........I have no idea if this is true or not, but its handy trivia!

Thanks Lucy - drinking milk whilst staring at the sun for me come 2008!

Plus massive doses of folic acid is "said" to raise the incidence of twins................

OK, 3-4 folic acid tablets a day too! Poor DH, I'll be putting him on a "twin diet" too (discreetly) so we may end up with quads! Woo-hoo!