Thread: Painting and pregnancy

Default Painting and pregnancy

I am nearly 13wks pregnant and have spent most of this time painting our house. I checked with Dulux whether the paint is safe to use and they said as long as the house is well ventilated. And I have been wearing a face mask that is for removing asbestos etc so it should be safe enough to use during pregnancy (I think).

I am having nightmares now that I have hurt my baby and just wondered what anyone thinks and if there are any tests I can do to find out.

Thanks.

You should be ok especially if it's well ventilated and like you said you were wearing a mask. I painted Joshua's room whilst pg and he's normal...although some would debate that ..lol.

oh tess hunny dont think like that. Just relax, im sure bubs is fine in there

Tess, As long as you were wearing a mask and you had some fresh air coming through the house I would say it was fine. I really think you would have to be doing some full on paint sniffing for it to have any bad effects.

Did you try the onion trick?

Nic

Thank you for your reassurance - it makes me feel a lot better. I have not tried the onion trick - I think I will get some tomorrow so that we can finish things off without the smell lingering.

Thank you again.

We renovated our second house while I was pregnant. Right up to the end I was stripping paint, painting and sanding, and while jenna is pretty hyperactive, she is entirely normal.
    Just a note on masks - masks all have different uses. A mask for asbestos would be used to block small particulates (like little bits of dust) whereas to block fumes (the smell from paint) you more than likely need a different sort of mask/filter.
    I'm not trying to worry you, because most of the paints you would have been using were probably acrylic anyway (water based) so there isn't too much to be scared about. Just keep in mind that different masks for different applications. There would probably be more risk using some of the household cleaners to be honest!

You'll be fine Keep the fresh air ventilating and take plenty of breaks.

Thanks Fi - I will check out the filter on my mask. I must admit I cannot smell the paint fumes through it so it is definitely blocking some of them. Will check it out anyway.

Thanks again - I feel so much better. Silly how things play on your mind like this.