Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panadeine & Neurofen safe during pregnancy?

Default Panadeine & Neurofen safe during pregnancy?

Hi,

Does anyone know if its safe to take panadeine during pregnancy? My BP is giving me quite bad headaches, so i've taken it a few times, but should probably check...

Also, while i'm at it - how about Neurofen?

I could just drive to my inlaws and look it up in their MIMS, but i'm being a bit lazy

Thanks.

just check if they have codeine in them. i know you arent allowed codeine whilst pregnant. otherwise ring the freecall Health Direct and ask what is best option for you while pregnant.

Nurofen isn't safe during pg or BF. Pandiene is better if you have to have some relief, but I wouldn't take it over a long period of time

The nurofen website says it is not recommended for pregnant women. Codeine is not recommended for pregnant women either. Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, I'd just stick to panadol.

Maybe you could try something natural for the headache (like using a cold/hot face mask)??

I knew nurofen was out for BF (mainly cos i lowers supply i think?)

I don't take that many panadeine (i.e. 2 every few days), but panadol does nothing for me. It has codeine in it, but is a little codeine ok? I mean, they give you morphine in labour, so it can't be that bad for the baby can it??

My headaches are caused my high BP, so i don't think anything natural is going to work on them... but i'm seeing my spec. tomorrow afternoon, so i'm just praying they will put me on meds or something to sort this all out and it goes away

Thanks everyone for your replies

Nurofen should not be used in pregnancy
    Panadeine does contain codeine and it is safe to take when pregnant

I've been told by my Ob exactly what Alan says... to avoid nurofen (or any other NSAID for that matter: Alan would you agree with this?) and that panadeine is OK. Yael I really hope the headaches and BP improve for you soon sweets, take care. BTW if I hear anything about dopplers around the tracks I'll let you know xx

Yes Queenie I agree. Stay away from NSAID

I have been given the OK to use Panadeine Forte or Panadeine. Unfortunaely the PF gave me stomache cramps and I threw up, I can have Panadeine but it has to be with food or I still feel queasy.

I've just been to my specalist and he said it was fine to take panadeine if i needed it.

Thanks everyone for your advice

TeganRheana Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
    just check if they have codeine in them. i know you arent allowed codeine whilst pregnant. otherwise ring the freecall Health Direct and ask what is best option for you while pregnant.
    You are actually allowed codiene. I was recomended to have Panadol + Codeine (panadeine) with a toothache I was having.

It is IBUPROFEN that you arent allowed to have. That is in Nurofen, Advil, Disprin, Aspirin etc

Panadol and panadeine are fine to take the recommended dosage (stated on the packet).

Yes my dr said no ibuprofen, codeine was fine, I cant convert codeine into morphine though so its useless for me. Panadiene is fine

I hope those headaches improve Yael. It is horrible - I too am a pregnancy headache sufferer. Hopefully that bp will get under control too.

Glad you got the info from your obs. Panadeine is a category A drug and is believed to be safe in pregnancy when used according to direction.

nelliesbelly Guest

I was admitted to hospital with migraines at 20 weeks ish and was prescribed a drug which had codeine in it. It was prescribed by the Dr at the hospital and cleared by my ob.

I hope you find relief for your headaches they are not very nice and can be really draining. :hugs:

Gracia Guest

I have worked in the Pharmacuetical industry for 12 years and Panadiene is ok to take for short term, honestly the stress and pain you are in would prop affect bub more than a few panadiene. I would not take anything in first Trimester though. as long as everything with your pregnancy if fine I would'nt worry too much. Try to alternate Paracetamol with the Panadiene (To limit the amount of codiene).
    You could try cold packs on your jaw too
    Just check the packet of what your taking, there's alot of brands out there now and it's easy to get confused. As the others said, don't take any asprin, nurofen. I would always buy any medication from a pharmacy and ask for proffessional advice. It scares me that they sell this stuff in supermarkets now!:mad:
    Hope you feel better soon, all the best

Hi all, first post

I have a small niggling worry at the back of my mind, because before I knew I was pregnant (this one is a happy surprise), I was experiencing very severe pains around the time my period was due, and took a couple of Advil. I took two tablets two nights in a row. Soon after that I found out I was pregnant and have had nothing since, (aside from pregnancy vitamin supplements).

Is this something I should tell my doctor at the next appointment? At the first one he asked if I took any regular medication, which I don't, and didn't think to mention the Advil. I had also taken a couple of St John's Wort pills around the same time. I thinkI've been doing everything else 'right', but this is a small worry for me? Any advice? Or can anyone tell me exactly why advil/ibuprofen is not recommended?

Lisa xx

Gracia - panadenine is pharmacist only medication, you can't buy it in supermarkets.

Hi Acria
    I would not be worried. Advil can cause you to miscarry. If it was going to happen it would have happened within a few days of taking the drug

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast