Thread: Pap Smears

Default Pap Smears

Is is still ok to have Pap smears while preg? I think i am due for one soon, and dont want to miss it as keep having 'abnormal' ones, but, am concerned about having one whilst preg.

I'm due for one now as well. I'm 30 weeks pg and my OB said he'd rather do it after I've had bubs. I've never had an abnormal pap smear though so maybe ring your doctor and ask them. I'm glad I'm not having one now though cos I hate them!!!!

my dr said u can only have them up to 6 weeks of preg and then after pregnancy... he was trying to pressure me into one though when i just found out i was preg so i dunno if he was just saying that to put the pressure on because i havn't had one before???

They tried to send me off for one too before 6 weeks, but I had one last year in feb (while I was out on the operating table woot woot!) and had no abnormal cells so not due till feb 08!

i was due for mine in the middle of my pregnancy so they did it at the start and it came back "abnormal" which he said is very common for ones done during pregnancy so we'd have to redo after bubs was born - at which it came back fine. if it was so common for them to come back with abnormal when you are pregnant I dont understand why they push to get them done during pregnancy just so they can freak you out with the result for the next 8 months. again though they only do them early on from my experience so yes it depends on where you are in your pregnancy. also if it does come back truly abnormal I don't know that there is much they can do while you are pregnant anyway - might be wrong here.

LizzysMum Guest

When I went to for my first (and only) GP visit for preganancy my doc also was really pushy and weird about me having one. She said they can do them up to 20 weeks they just use a different thingy and don't rub as hard. I declined and said I wanted to discuss with my midwife, and I had never had any abnormal ones before - AND if they find something what the hell are they going to do?????? while you are pregnant?????
    She was really strange though and then proceeded to tell me that patient who also had never had an abnormal whose results were in and they had a high range abnormality - so much for informed consent - I was pretty peeved at her attempt to scare me into it.

I did ask my midwife and she said no way - they will not do one while pregnant, and confirmed my thoughts about it being pretty pointless because what can they do if there is an abnormality? Wait until bub is born would be my guess....

cool - thanks.
    Your right anyway - if i do get one, and it shows abnormal again? what can they do? I dont think i am due to have one till about May, and with bubs due in June, its will only be 2 months or so late.