Thread: Pap smears during pregnancy??

Default Pap smears during pregnancy??

I havent had one done in years and i am starting to worry that i have left it so long, considering my mum had cervical cancer and all

Anyways i have a feeling i should have one done, but obviously being pregnant puts a different spin on things

I know with my first pregnancy i had one at the hospital appointment and it was just procedure

But when i was pregnant with mason they gave me this sheet about pap smears and pregnancy and it really put me off having one

So i dont know what to do really, is there a better time in pregnancy to have one?

allyfield Guest

I had one done at 7 weeks pregnant and everything came back ok, I also had one done with my 1st pregnancy.

Ally

It should be okay as I had to have a special one done at 19 weeks and there was no problem. Just let your doctor know your concerns and they should be able to advise. They won't do anything that will be risky.

Mine is due to be done now, however my OB and GP refuse to do it until after bubs is born as I have miscarried before.

I was due for one when I was 4 months pg with Erin and my GP wouldn't do it until my 6 week checkup after she was born. He said that if I'd never had an abnormal one, then I should be OK to wait out the pg.

I was supposed to have one at the 6 weeks check after Matilda, but never got around to it, so I am overdue and decided I would have one done after my 1st trimester.

sonsangel Guest

This is my opinion only, it's not neccessary to have one while pregnant unless you do have abnormal cells or abnormal discharge.

I am due for a pap this month but will wait till after bubs arrives. I have never had an abnormal one yet and if I am correct pap's wont actually detect ovarian cancer anyway.

My midwife said I can wait til my 6 week checkup (no complaints from me)

I just had one done this week at the GP. She told me it was my decision whether to have one while pg but I decided to go ahead and do it as I was overdue for one and if I didn't get it done now the hospital would have wanted to do it at my first antenatal appointment anyway.

Bon