Thread: Pap Smears while pg

Fire Fly Guest

Question Pap Smears while pg

Does anyone know if its bad to have a pap smear while pg. Reason i ask is last week i was due for a pap smear so got it done and i would of been pg.
    Dont they scrape the inside of your cervix for cells?????

I missed mine when PG with Matilda as I was too scared and then promptly forgot to have it again, so when I went to do my check in at the hospital they asked me & I couldn't believe I had missed 4 years. They said it was safe to do in the second trimester so I had one done then. HTH! I'm sure everyone has different view about it, but as I have known a few women to find out they have cervical cancer in the past year I decided it was worthwhile doing at that time. I had one done at 13 weeks.

Fire Fly Guest

Well i was only 4 weeks. I have to ask the Dr on sat when i go for my referral for hospital. Not much i can do about it now really. Glad i got it done and out the way for another 2 years. eeewwwwwkkkkk

Fraser Guest

hey there - I had a pap smear done by my OB at my 12 week visit - didn't incur any problems - didn't ask for one either he just told me he was going to do it - but you get used to the prodding and poking after a while.....

I think if you've had one & nothing has happened, its all good. They were willing to do mine earlier, I was just scared.

Hi Fire Fly!

I had mine done this month which was 5 months before I was due to have my next, coz DH & I wanted to be pg soon. (we got pg within the next 2 wks!! lol!!) My doc reassured me that they can do early smears I think up to 12 weeks with no worries. So I would imagine that all would be fine with you too lovey!!

I had one done when I would have been 3wks pg. I thought I had thrush or something so I went to the drs to get checked up (oh so lovely to write about!) and whilst I was there she did one. I told her there was a chance I was pg and she said it was fine to do the PS.

I had one at 10 weeks in Obs room. I was told it was perfectly safe. I haven't had any problems - not even any bleeding which is apparently rather common in the first few days post smear! HTH

MG

MUMMY4LIFE is offline .: ~ Don't regret anything that ever made you smile ~ :.

During both of my pregnancies I was due for my smear, but my ob just made a note of it and I had it done at my 6 wk check-up post op. Like most of us we don't like having them done, but I think if my ob had offered whilst I was preg I would have said no....but that's just me.

I am due for my PS but i refused to have it due to the fact im pg. I will have it at my 6 week check up, if possible, if not then not long after...
    Goodluck with the pregnancy

I was told i was told i was supposed to have one pretty soon, but i don't want to. I'm 23 weeks pg & i don't really want anyone poking around down there unless its to deliver my baby. So i'm going to wait

Yup, perfectly safe in the first trimester; however I didn't have one even though I was due because I had a bleed scare at 9weeks pregnant and wasn't prepared to risk losing Maddy even though it was 'safe'.

I had one done in the first trimester when I was pregnant with James... it hurt a little more, but that could have been due to the Dr who did it.

I am overdue for mine (July) and it is written down that I will need to have one done after the baby is born.

my doc wanted to do a pap test because i couldn't remember when the last one i had was.... i was 18 weeks at the time, anyways he tried to do it but it was rather painful and very uncomfortable, and i told him so, and he said 'look if u aren't coping with it we can do it after the baby is born'... well i thought, why didn't we decide to do that in the first place!!

anyways moral of the story is, if u are not that keen on having it done when u are pregnant, i would just wait... but thats just my opinion. i found it really hard to relax, which makes it harder to do the pap test and makes it more painful too, and figure i will be a hell of a lot more relaxed next year after i have gone thru the whole process of child birth etc... a pap test will be a walk in the park (well sorta!)...

Fire Fly Guest

I get a reminder from the Labs and a phone call from my doctors so there is no hope of me forgetting, Lol. I dont mind. Its one thing i can erase from my memory till i get a letter.

I had one done at 10 weeks when i had all blood tests and everything done. Dr said it was fine to do, he just didn't do one bit (i think the scraping bit) because it can cause slight PV bleeding and that just stresses people out (even though it is still fine and not related to baby). Here i am at 22 weeks and all is fine.