Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Peanut Butter & Nuts During Pregnancy

Default Peanut Butter & Nuts During Pregnancy

I have a few allergies which have only developed since May this year, being Asprin, brufen, coconut and more recently local anaesthetic.
    I have been eating nuts and satay chicken during this pregnancy. Should I be worried that I am going to pass this on to bub?
    Cheers

Melissa

From what I have read, you should stop eating peanuts after 20 weeks, but should avoid them completely if anyone in yours or DH's family has an allergy.
    There are no known nut allergies in our families... and I have been eating the occasional macadamia nuts and almonds.
    Last edited by Lisa; October 9th, 2006 at 02:37 PM.

Hi Lisa
    I dont have any nut allergies and neither does my familt or DP or his family, just allergies to the abvove things (and cocnut is not a nut!)
    So should I stop eating nuts now or later?
    M

Mini,
    I would steer clear. Given that you have a number of allergies. It is now recommended that peanuts should be avoided in pregnancy and breastfeeding. I am not sure about it myself but I steer clear as my husband has a strong family history of asthma and eczema.

Thanks, will do from now, I hope its not too late
    M

I'd agree that steering clear might be wise.
    There is no history of food allergies, or even asthma or eczema in my family, yet...... I ate a fair bit of peanut butter during my pregnancy, and my son now has a peanut allergy (as well as other allergies). I definately cant say whether its related or not, as there are other factors present (such as me not BF, and starting him on solids too early) which equally may have attributed to his allergies.

My family are all healthy, but DH has a nut allergy so I've been avoiding nuts since I found out. DH also has eczema and a problem with anaesthetics (another reason I'm trying to avoid drugs at birth, if my baby has a Sux problem then an epidural could, in theory, kill: it nearly killed DH a few years back when he had his appendix out), which are partly related to this allergy.

Exclamation Eating peanut butter

I've read that if you eat alot of peanuts then the baby may have an intolerance to them? Has anyone stopped eating peanut butter? If not, how often would you have it? Thanks!

I've also read that eating peanuts or peanut butter while pregnant can possibly increase the risk of an allergy or intolerance in the baby. But I have also read that that is more if you have a family history of peanut allergy. I have not been avoiding peanuts or peanut butter this pregnancy, but then I don't eat a lot of it either. If I feel like peanut butter I will eat it, so I am not deliberately avoiding it like with other foods.

I've also read this and it concerned me because I had a major craving for nuts of all sorts with my last pregnancy.

The research I did was that it's fine to eat peanuts and peanut butter, but to limit it so that your baby doesn't become sensitised to it and develop an allergy after birth. So basically don't pig out on it every day.

I ate alot of cashews and almonds to satisfy my craving but I tell you what that got expensive after a while LOL.

Fire Fly Guest

I eat whatever i like whenever i like. The only thing i avoid is soft cheeses.
    Just eat what you normally eat as bub would be used to that anyway iykwim.
    Both my kids are fine and i ate peanut butter with both them while pg, DD even got to eat it before the age of 2 and still no worries.

I'm allergic to peanuts so don't consume them, but I am aware of others whose families have no history of allergies to foods & didn't worry about it during pregnancy & their children are highly allergic to peanuts. I guess its all what you are comfortable with doing & your choices, even if you avoid peanuts your child could still have an allergy to them in the end.

I try to limit my peanut intake during pregnancy/breastfeeding just to be on the safe side. I might only have it on toast once a week or so?? And I dont bother having any other peanuts (except sometimes some in a Quattro bikkie... yum....).
    So far jenna doesn't have any intolerances, but she was very very intolerant to my breastmilk after I had coffee/tea/chocolate, so I am trying to be better during this pregnancy in case I triggered that last time.

I worry about it too. My DH is soooo into peanut butter and says he doesn't know how he'd cope if our baby was allergic. His cousin ate peanut butter on her toast every morning for breakfast when pg and her daughter is highly allergic, but her father has an intolerance too.
    Short answer is, I don't know. I have eaten it during this pg, but I try not to have it too often. I'm comfortable with having it once every couple of weeks. But that's just me.

I still eat it but not very often. I've probably only had small amounts of peanut butter (like on toast) 4-5 times so far this PG.

I love peanuts and peanut butter and eat them at least 3 times a week. I stopped eating anything with peanuts when I first conceived as I also read about the chance of the bub developing an allergy, but I checked it out with my Ob and he said that it's an old wive's tale and what the mother eats while pregnant has nothing to do with their child getting allergies. Once he told me this I was back onto my peanuts

I actually don't think its an old wives tale, I have heard health professionals back up the theory, and have read stuff about it too... so I really think it is possible for it to cross the placenta and for the baby to develop a sensitivity to it. But hopefully just little amounts of peanut in pg are too small to have an effect?
    I am one of the people Christy has mentioned I think - I didnt limit my peanut eating during pregnancy at all, and now my son has a strong peanut allergy. He reacted the first time we ever gave him something with peanut in it, which shows that he had been exposed to it previously, as allergies only show up on the 2nd or other subsequent exposures to the allergen (never on the first exposure though). Makes me wonder if it was the exposure in the womb that could have done it, however there are other factors that could have come into play in his case too.
    We have no history of any food allergies in our family either...
    Last edited by Ambah; November 8th, 2006 at 01:56 PM.

AmyBaby Guest

I have always loved peanut butter, and would go through phases of eating it. But now that Iam pregnant, I will not be touching it at all. Its just not worth the risk IMO.

Just remember, allergies can be deadly. There was a story last year where a boy died, because he kissed his girlfriend who still had traces of peanut butter on/in her mouth. And of course, he was allergic.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast