Thread: Pelvimetry to check pelvis size

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Pelvimetry to check pelvis size

Just thought I would share this from the Cochrane Library:

The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2006 Issue 2
    Copyright 2006 The Cochrane Collaboration. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.

Pelvimetry for fetal cephalic presentations at or near term
    Pattinson RC, Farrell E

Too little evidence to show whether measuring the size of the woman's pelvis (pelvimetry) is beneficial when the baby is in a cephalic position
    Sometimes, a pregnant woman or her caregiver might be worried that the pelvic bones might be too small for the baby to pass through during birth. Pelvimetry measures pelvic size using x-ray, computerised tomography scanning or magnetic resonance imaging. For women whose baby is in a head down (cephalic) position, the review of trials found too little evidence to show whether pelvimetry is beneficial. There is some evidence that women having pelvimetry are more likely have a caesarean section, but there are no trials that show whether this is beneficial for the baby.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I had one of them with my first bub, they thought he was to big to fit though my pelvis, i was 38weeks, it only made me panic, what if i need a c/s, or what if i need an emergency c/s........in the end i had a normal natural vaginal birth and couldnt be happier.

Kirsty77 Guest

My Mum had 2 of them one with my brother and then with my sister.Back then they didn't even let her try for a natural she was told after the x-ray that her pelvis was way to small and she could only birth a 4lb baby. Makes you wonder how accurate they are really. I think yeh some women can't birth babies because of this but a majority of it is because bub is presenting wrong.