Thread: pets and pregnancy

Wanna_B_Mum Guest

Question pets and pregnancy

heay guys i'm ttc at the mom and my other half and i live in a small apartment i know i shouldn't b changing the kitty litter when i'm pregnant but do i get my other half to start now lol.also my cat is a bit loud and naughty but never seen him hurt a little one but has jumped up (he acts like a dog lol)we are moving into a house next yr but he's an inside cat and if his kitty litter has even one poop in it (sorry Icky)he will go next to the kitty litter he's in the laundry. but if i can't even handle it now how will i go with him doin stuff like the kitty litter tray incident?

There is a huge thread about pets and pregnancy here Chrissy, if it is any help to you......

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...read.php?t=895

Chrissy the issue with cat's poo is a real scare for toxoplasmosis. You can get tested with pre natal testing to see if you are okay. I am a vet nurse and have had the test in the early stages of pregnancy. One thing is to have disposable gloves on hand and pick the poo up with them & throw it out straight away and then wash your hands. Not that you would normally pick poo up with bare hands, but the real fear is that you would get a bit of poo into your mouth and you cat happens to have toxoplasmosis at that time. If you have been exposed to toxoplasmosis prior to getting pregnant, you don't have to worry too much about it but do have to continue clean sanitary practices when emptying the litter tray.

I would say alleviate your fears & have the test done (btw its cheaper for you to be tested than to have your cat tested). And to be safe, avoid it as much as possible, but if you do have to do it use gloves & wash your hands afterwards. HTH!

Just wanted to add, that the poo needs to be more then 24 hours old as well. So if you keep on top of things you should be ok.
    Also when you move you may like to try with letting your cat become an inside/outside cat. Obvioulsy not straight away but once your settled in & he is use to his new home. the you can start lettin ghave supervised outtings while you hang out the washing for example. Or even a cat run built on the side of the house (if your buying), some have it so the laundry window is the door way for the cat to get in & out with out actually being able to be "out".

I think cats need to be outside at times. I too am a vet nurse & work with a vet who has a special interest in our little feline friends. We have soooo many cats come in who are inside only cats that have a few issues. So I think I am safe to asy just be aware that your cat may have a few teething problems when the new bubba comes along if he is still an inside cat. Some cats cope well like my "ares" who sounds alot like you cat but some like my "luna" just fell to peices when #1 came along. She went from a rather smoochy cat to one who would hug the walls from room to room looking for some where to hide when ever she heard him cry etc. She eventlly got better but was never the same cat.
    Many inside cats will start with inapropriate urination when something changes, like a new baby. But I am a strong advocate of letting cats be inside/outside cats. I think they are much happier if they can be outside for at least part of the day. being locked up inside just isn't natural for them.
    I think the cat run is a good alternative if your not keen on him being allowed access to the big wide world.

Oh on the Toxo as well, I personally think it is very difficult to get it from your cat. I had worked with cats full time for about 7 years when I first fell pg & as Christy suggested I was tested to see if I had been previously exposed & I hadn't. To me that just proved 2 things, how hygenic I am when working & also how hard it is to get it from cats. Its actually easier for someone who works in a slurter (sp?) house to get it.

I think its slaughter LOL? Yeah thats right, I've been a vet nurse & worked with cats for 8 years now and haven't contracted toxo. My first pregnancy I think I was more careful with not cleaning any litter trays, this time I'm not so worried. I have come in contacts with 3 cats with toxoplasmosis during this pregnancy & have held them, but just maintain clean practices & am safe.

Wanna_B_Mum Guest

well i'm not a cruel cat mum my baby is already allowed to go outside but suppervised we r renting at the mom but also wr right on the main road with a small plaza across from us(with a service station)and i just worry. though that is a worry off of my mind and i still will coose to let the other half do it (because i like to c the disgusted look on his face lol) also to b extra safe thnk u for the advice helped lots.

Oh I wasn't implying that your a cruel cat mummy! gee i hope you didn't honestly think I meant it that way!! I feel bad now!!!
    But yes, your current situation sounds like your doin gthe best thing anyway. WOuld hate to comeout & find a squished putty tat.

Wanna_B_Mum Guest

LOL no i didn't mean to affend just wanted to let u know i'm not one and my baby gets his outside time wen i can. and that's right i already had a squished dog and a mogey and tat wasn't even on a main road but wat can do except remember them as at thr happiest.lol. thnk u for ur opinion 2.

I've had my DH cleaning the kitty litter since we started TTC in June 2004. He said to me the other day that he can't wait till the baby's born so he doesn't have to do it all the time. I do the kitty litter when he's forgotten or the cats go really stinky. DH periodicly says can't we just let them out, but I don't want them to chase native birds & animals and I don't want them run over.