Thread: Philly Cheese

Default Philly Cheese

Is it OK to eat Philidelphia Cream Cheese (so a cheese cake) when pregnant? I remember my OBs suggested not eating any cheese that runs when cut and when I was pregnant with Mackenzie I didn't eat cheese cake as one of my friends told me not to when pregnant. I just made a yummy cheese cake for our christmas party yesterday and there are 2 pieces left in the fridge that just keep shouting my name everytime I open the fridge. Can someone please help!

i think the philly is ok, but did u put raw eggs in it?
    cheesecake is soooooooooooooooooooo good... why did you choose to punish urself this way?

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

it is soft chesses with rinds that should be avoided - like camerbert,brie etc

Great, no egg, guess what I'm having for a snack! YIPEEEEEEE

oooooo im craving cheesecake... mango and white chocolate like my dad makes................. enjoy it lovey

Yep I've read philly is ok, obviously as long as it isnt old.

mmmm cheescake

Philly cheese is fine, as is any baked cheesecake. Be wary of those which aren't baked, and may have ricotta or marscapone cheese in them.

If you've made it yourself, you'll know if it's safe or not.....enjoy!

I know ur not supposed to eat brie or other soft cheeses. But heard or read somewhere that they r ok if cooked,even ricotta?? Threres so many different opinions out there its hard to know what we can & can't eat

Mmmmm cheese cake i want some to now

the problem with soft cheeses is that they are made with unpasteurised milk - if it was only a matter of things being cold then you wouldn't be able to eat any cheese at all, Caro!

cream cheese and mascarpone are fine, brie, camembert, fetta, goat's cheese and ricotta aren't, unless they've been cooked, in which case they are fine. Raw eggs are no good, and no smoked fish/chicken. Anything served piping hot is fine (except for deep sea fish because of the mercury levels, and liver because it is too high in vitamin A)

Just to let you girls know it was delicious. mmmmmmm :P

Quote Originally Posted by sezjm View Post
    Philly cheese is fine, as is any baked cheesecake. Be wary of those which aren't baked, and may have ricotta or marscapone cheese in them.

If you've made it yourself, you'll know if it's safe or not.....enjoy!
    My obs told me that marscapone cheese is fine and my net research has backed this up

Thanks for that.....a friend told me that marsacpone cheese was NOT allowed! So it's good to know that I can have it *yum*.

LOL caro! Enjoy it

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Cheeses which are SAFE to eat in pregnancy

Hard cheeses:
    austrian smoked, Babybel, caerphilly, cheddar, cheshire, derby, double gloucester, edam, emmental, english goat's cheddar, feta (if bought in the UK), gouda, gruyere, halloumi, havarti, jarlsberg, lancashire, mozzarella, orkney, paneer, parmesan, pecorino (hard), provolone, red leicester.

Soft and processed cheeses:
    Boursin, cottage cheese, cheese spread, cream cheese, mascarpone, philadelphia, quark, ricotta.

Yoghurts, fromage frais, soured cream and creme fraiche -- any variety, including natural, flavoured and biologically active -- are all safe to eat.

Cheeses to AVOID in pregnancy

Mould-ripened soft cheeses:
    brie, blue brie, cambozola, camembert, chaumes, pont L'eveque, prince jean, tallegio. vacherin-fribourgeois, weichkaese.

Blue-veined cheeses:
    bavarian blue, bergader, bleu d'Auvergne, blue shropshire, cabrales, Danish blue, dolcelatte, doppelrhamstuge, eldel pilz, gorgonzola, manchego, romano, roncal, roquefort, stilton, tommes, wensleydale (blue).

Soft unpasteurised goat and sheep's cheeses:
    chabichou, pyramide, torta del cesar.
    Cheese is an important source of protein and calcium for pregnant women but certain kinds do need to be avoided. Pregnant women are advised not to eat soft, mould-ripened cheeses, such as brie or camembert, and blue-veined cheeses, such as danish blue and stilton. This is because these cheeses are more inclined to allow growth of bacteria, such as listeria, which can harm your unborn child.

However, thorough cooking should kill any listeria, so it should be safe to eat food containing soft mould-ripened or blue-veined cheeses, provided the food has been properly cooked and is piping hot all the way through.
    babycentreUK

One site said Fetta was okay in UK not not USA ? about Australia

I was told no ricotta or fetta by my obstetrician

The misinformation out there is incredible isnt it!!

I remember when researching ricotta, that some sites said it was okay, and others said that it wasnt!!! Not that it matters seeing as I have it hot in spinach and ricotta pasta anyway!!

I shudder to think what things will be like in another 30 years.... PG women will have to live on space food

LOL! I agree about the space food! Everytime I ask my obstetrician a food-related question, he tells me that it's gone a bit overboard lately and that I just need to avoid soft cheeses, smoked fish and chicken and then be sensible about the rest! I am not quite as relaxed about it as he is, because although I know the risks of getting something like listeriosis are very low, the results are so bad that you really want to do anything you can to avoid it. Having said that I have a friend who ate whatever she wanted, including cold seafood salad during both her pregnancies, and the kids are fine (above average intellect, actually I would say). It's all so confusing, isn't it?