Thread: Potential of catching Chicken Pox at 36.5weeks pregnant....

Default Potential of catching Chicken Pox at 36.5weeks pregnant....

Hi there All

Just when it seems that i have overcome one hurdle and finally found time to potentially relax it seems that another circumstance presents itself....

OK - went to the doctors with DH yesterday and whilst there a woman turns up and announces at the counter that she has CHICKEN POX - my first reaction is to run out of there screaming but I pull myself together and get on with why we are there.

Anyway - called my mum and she has confirmed that yes I have indeed had them as a child however I should call the hospital "just in case" - by this time I have checked my "yellow hospital" card and have noticed that I am not immune to Rubella even though I have had the shots as a youngster - so this has obviously sent me into a spin.

I'm assuming that Rubella and Chicken Pox are obviuosly not related but now I am wondering if I'm not immune to Rubella maybe I'm not immune to Chicken Pox either - sorry seem to be going off in a tangent right now....

Basically - I have gone back to my GP and explained the situation - given that I only spent a short period of time in the room with the "infected" woman and that I was not sitting close to her etc etc

I had some blood taken to check my Immunity but the results won't be in for another 48-72 hours (geez that's like a lifetime away).

so what I am wondering is:

Can you catch Chicken Pox twice??

How long does it take before the virus begins??

What are the side effects of having it in late pregnancy??

Can baby catch it??

And what are the side effects of baby catching them??

I apologise in advance for me craziness, but I am totally freaked out by all of this!!!

would love to hear anyones feedback....so then I can at least prepare myself.

I have looked up info on the web along with reading books, but I seem to be getting conflicting info - would just love a simple answer

Thanks in advance

dianna

Hi Dianna

i read with interest this post - i am 34 weeks and found out today my nephew has chicken pox (i saw him all over xmas).

From what i understand, chicken pox isnt 'airborne', meaning you must have come into contact with the contagious person (saliva, etc).
    My rubella is down too, but that has nothing to do with Chicken Pox. If you've had it, youve had it, you cant get it twice. Incubation period is 5-7 days, then spots appear. Your situation sounds pretty safe, but then again youve done the right thing and gone to your doc.

I dont know if ive been much help. My DD had measles about 4 weeks ago, and i was more concerned about me (selfish mummy) than DD !! I rang the Royal Hosp. for Women at Randwick and spoke to a midwife who was an immunisation expert, i found it comforting and she was very happy to help.....

Good Luck !!!

I know of someone who's had chicken pox twice.. but I think it's extremely rare, I think they said it was because they had such a small dose of it as a child? I've always understood that once you've had chicken pox, the virus never actually leaves you, and is more likely to reappear as shingles. I've read conflicting stuff on whether exposure to chicken pox can bring on shingles or not too.

Ho wscary for you... when i was 20 weeks pg a girl i work with came down with chicken pox and we used to lunch together everyday! so it came as a shock to me, pretty scary !

My OB ran a test, showing i had no immunity... i panicked.. My OB called infectious diseses at the hospital and his advsie was , yes it can cause complication if you are pregnant with the chicken pox.. But more so in the early stages, and also when you are at term close to delivery.. if a pregant woman has chicken pox at labour they will prob do a c/s as it is safer for the baby...

give your situation i would say you are fine.. enjoy the last couple of weeks or your pregnancy ! and all the best !

i am a nurse and this is the info i can give you.
    yes you can catch chicken pox more than once
    you can only catch chicken pox if you come into physical contact with it.once the spots have scabed you are not contagious
    you can catch it before they appear on the carrier as they are already carrying it (via saliva and skin to skin contact.
    chicken pox is usually not harmul to unborn baby unless early in pregnancy,if you have chicken pox the baby will have chicken pox also.
    it is not related to rubella
    nikki

I agree with Nicole.
    Also If you should get chicken pox (althought this would be unlikely) you baby will have chicken pox but it should mild because you will pass on antibodies to your baby. If you were to catch chicken pox a few days before giving birth then your baby could be quite ill.

Thanks Everyone for your feedback...

Just a quickie for Alan or Nicole

If I was to give birth whilst having chicken pox - could i assume the baby will also have it??

and if this is correct - what are the side effects for the baby?? and what is the treatment?? this is probably what i am most concerned about - I'm not so much worried about me, more so for the well being of bub.

also where you say "in contact' - that means touching and saliva right?? - not just hanging around in the same room breathing the same air con air...

also - at what point if I was to have caught this dreaded disease would i start to feel yuk??

also i read somewhere that as long as I have the condition for at least a week I would have accumulated enough antibodies to pass onto to baby and that they would become somewhat immune - is that right or is that just confusing??

thanks again

dianna

Hi Dianna

If you were to give birth in say the next 1 - 3 week and you did catch chicken pox from that person then yes your baby would probably have it also. The treatment for your baby would just to keep him/her comfortable and keep an eye on its fluid intake and temp. There should be no side effects however your baby will feel miserable and uncomfortable, as anyone with chicken pox would.

The only wa6y you can catch chicken pox is with contact, you would have to touch the person or touch their saliva. Breathing the same air will not give you chicken pox.

You would start to feel yuck at the time the sopts start to come out, or perhaps a day before.

After a few days ( aprox 1 week but could be a little less) you will pass on your antibodies to your baby. Also if you have had any disease in the past you also pass on any antibodies to that disease. So if you have had chicken pox in the past then you have already passed on your antibodies to your baby. This does not mean that your baby will not get chicken pox if you have got them but it does mean that the infection should be milder.

Again I would like to stress that, from what you posted, I think it would be very unlikely that you have caught chicken pox.

If I can be of any more help just let me know.

Thanks Alan

I will try not to stress and put a little more faith in my body and God - there isn't much i can do even if I have contracted the disease.

I hate feeling so paranoid - I'm not good at it - in my pre-pregnancy days something like this would not have even entered my mind let alone worried me enough to feel sick.

I've got my fingers and toes crossed that I'm just being over paranoid and the yukiness I'm feeling is just all related.

I have to wait until atleast tommorow or the day after to get any results from my bloods anyway.

thanks for all your wordly advice - it's reassuring to know that someone like yourself is around to help "crazy's" like me

hugs

di xxx [-o< [-o<

DITTO ALANa,
    nikki

Hi Alana, my DS is just recovering from the pox. Santa delivered them xmas eve morning....how thoughtful. My OB said as long as i had had them that bubs and i would be fine. A friend of mine had them when she was 30 weeks pg and all was well with both her and bubs.

The worst thing is just not knowing until you get the spots and start feeling off colour, which is why i feel bad as my niece and DS were giving each other kisses and cuddles and had a bath together 2 days prior to his spots coming out, I feel bad but what could i do. Ds ended up with them the same way, playing with my niece on my DH side of family and we didn't know she had them until a few days later either ](*,)

I am sure seeing as though there was no contact with the woman you should be fine, but i understand the anxiety you must be feeling. Try not to worry too much and just sit tight and wait for the bloods.

Hi there All

Just wanted to let you all know that I got my blood test results back today.

I am IMMUNE!! and they found no new traces of the virus (Thank God)

Just thought I'd let you know - i can now breathe a sigh of relief.

Thanks again for all your input and kind words

Dianna O

Glad to hear that Dianna

I am happy for you too!!! relax and enjoy the rest of your pg.