Thread: Pre-eclampsia in second pregnancy?

Default Pre-eclampsia in second pregnancy?

Hi guys

I had signs of pre-eclampsia late in my last pregnancy, mainly high blood pressure (not all the time, it kinda came in waves and was never medicated) and traces of protein in my urine. I had a few hospital day stays to monitor this and blood tests every few days in the last few weeks of pregnancy.

I am wondering if this puts me at a higher risk of developing it again in my second pregnancy?

Thanks

Hey J

I had full blown PE with DD, and due to that was considered high risk when I was pregnant with DS. I have no idea what that means for me third time around .

I think its usually with the first child where PE tends to rear its ugly head, but in saying that I have a friend that had 3 babies, and delivered her last one early due to PE (same partner too).

Sending you massive *stay away PE vibes*

xox

I was diagnosed at 39 weeks with PE, the OB told me that the chance of it happening again in the next pregnancy was slim-to-nil, I was fine 2nd time round.

I don't think there is a pattern. I had HELPP syndrome with DD, and did get PIH with DS.
    I have a friend though who has had her 7th bub recently and got PE for the first time.

Thanks guys

Leesa, did you get any signs of PE with B at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycee View Post
    Thanks guys

Leesa, did you get any signs of PE with B at all?
    Nup, not a thing

I had PE with DD1, hospitalised, monitored and then induced. I wondered the same thing when i was pregnant with #2 but i went to 42 weeks with DD2 without a sign of it.
    My OB told me that it was highly unlikely i'd get it again, but sometimes there are no rules when it comes to PE. I was monitored closely without any probs though.

I had traces of it with DD2 and like you was just monitored and it stayed under control. With DD2 I got it badly and ended up having a C/S at 36 weeks. Bubs was fine and I thought I was lol but my b/p just didn't want to come down from the stratosphere. Now pg with #6 and I'm wondering the same thing

That's great to hear, thanks guys!

look into magnesium supplementation. apparently vets link pre eclampsia in animals to low magnesium and its a known way to treat it.
    and i think that when pre eclampsia is really bad in the last trimester, don't docs sometimes give intravenous magnesium??
    my naturopath has me on extra magnesium at the moment as i have a family hx of preeclampsia, i must admit i havent been so good at taking it though..