Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pregnant women warned over ultrasounds

With Nicholas I only had 2 u/s one at 12 weeks and the other at 18 weeks with Declan I had 3 u/s one at 8 weeks, 12 weeks and 18 weeks.

I think with my next pregnancy I will still have the 3 just for piece of mind, knowing everything is going ok with bubs.

I think it is still something we do really need to think about. If there may be a risk in excessive amounts of ultrasounds, then I personally think I will not take that risk! It's like drinking or smoking and even caffeine... sure I know lllooooooots of kids born perfectly fine and their mothers drank alcohol, coffee and smoked while pregnant (me included). But I won't risk a life that I have sworn to protect with my own.

Tanya
    *decends her soapbox* LOL

Hi!

A bit concerning I think - I had 4 with Louis - a dating scan, 12w,20w and a last minute one to check his size. He is on the small size but then so am I so how do we know if it's due to u/s or not?? However he is ahead in all of his milestones so....

This p/g I've already had a dating scan and I'll have a 12w and 20w. The last minute one I had was a complete waste of time and I wouldn't do that again unless it was more for an health/emergency reason rather than size. I gave birth 4 days after it and it was way off..they said he was 3.2kg and he was only 2.67 - 4 days later!

Well if anyone has anything to worry about it's me
    We had scans at 6 weeks to 36 weeks most weeks ( approx 17 scans) throu an internal ultasound. But then again knowing whether my cervix was giving way was far more benefical and if Eliza did have growth problems we would of dealt with it. As she is on the 95% height and head not all that worried at this stage.
    Bec

I had one scan with Maddy as I returned from Bali already 25wks preg...

With Indah I had 2... 13wks & 20wks..

I am a firm believer of Little interference to something that is/should be natural...

I love looking at my baby on the screen, but really I dont think there is a need... As I also believe the Gods give us a creation that we can handle nothing more, nothing lesss...

But it's definately a personal choice...
    Maddy is usually left handed & tiny, but as I said she only had the 1 brief scan!

I nearly laughed (sorry) when they said there's a high rate of problems with bubs that have had more scans. But then in the same breath they say they have probably been scanned BECAUSE of developemental problems. There's your answer!! I don't believe u/s causes problems, I hope Im not wrong, just my opinion.

Good point Meg! I suppose you may get a higher incidence of developmental issues in bubs scanned more because they were going to have them anyway!!

Yeah.. it'd be a hard study to undertake, because you don't know whether those problems would have been there anyway.

Hi there

I had to have an ultrasound every week for 14weeks some times twice a week and nothing has happen to my son. He is a healthy little bundle of joy. Callum is 7 1/2 months and doing well.

I cant think how I would have been if I couldnt have those ultrasounds as He Was IVF and to see him and his little heart beating relaxed me so much.

I agree its up to the women but it was great for me.

Missy

I had scans at 16wks, 19wks, 24wks, 30wks, 33wks and 35wks 4days with Kimberley and she is okay and uses her right hand as for height she takes after me as i am short. Due to having PE.

With Alex i had scans at 8wks, 12wks, 18wks, 27wks and 36wks. He is already 84cm tall and he's only 16months old at the moment he uses both hands. Due to having PE again.

With this pregnancy so far i have had scans at 6wks, 8wks, 12wks, 16wks, 19wks and i have another one booked for 24wks all due to health reasons.

I think for health reasons they have to check things are okay so they know what to do when the baby is born.
    But it's up to each person if they want to have scans.
    For me with this baby it's peace of mind after having the Down Syndrome scare.

motherduck Guest

We had our first scan at 10 weeks, Second one at 19 weeks, Third at 26 weeks, and still have a few more to go about another three, to check the growth of our twins so it makes me wonder if mabye this is why twins are usually smaller at birth.
    Also my DH and my brother are lefties so if one or both are left handed is it because of scans or genetics? That would be a good question for the experts.
    Not sure if i want the scans now as they all take about 45 mins with all th things they look at with two.

I had 4, 1 for unexplained vleeding at 6 weeks, one at 12 weeks, 19 weeks, and 36 weeks (to check on a fibroid & size of bub)

Next time, all things going well I only want to have the 19/20 week scan -- if that.
    The only reason I am considering having it is incase the do find something out early so that they would be expecting it at the birth - but even then the scans do not always pick thinkg up.

HOwever, that said the reason I don't want them isn't becuase of the ultrasound technology, it more the agony I went through with the scans when pg with Milo. I was in tears every time and I don't want to do it again.

ETA - pain due to the full bladder, not he scan itself!

LOL Rachael. I had to wait for my last scan for about 35mins, and I swear the pressure on my bladder damn near killed me!
    BTW - I should have said that genetically Jenna is short more than likely because of her 2 short parents.

Although how would we ever tell if it is ultrasound that makes the difference? The book I'm reading has said that the sort of difference can be you may be carrying a child with a genius IQ, but the ultrasound reduces that to one of a regular person... So not so much giving them a disability, just changing their brain chemistry enough to take away their added edge if that makes sense.....

Maybe it can work the other way around too? I've often wondered how 2 really dumb parents can have a genius baby! LMAO. Maybe the ultrasounds jiggled the chemicals in the brain and made them better!

I haven't read through all of the replies to this I am sorry - just jumping in while there is a moment.

I too have been worried by the number of u/s done in the past. However, now being a mother of 4 live and 4 dead babies and a new baby growing inside I can see the benefits.

Most u/s done frequently are very quick 3mins checks - heartbeat/size. This can give a woman like me incredible relief and hope. I carried my first baby around for 2-3weeks before I knew that she was dead. This is a horrible feeling. For someone like me that has a history of this happening - the relief to see a thriving embryo/baby is immense.
    I think that the Nuchal fold u/s has enormously helped women who may be at risk through their age have some peace of mind without an invasive procedure. I also think thaqt the converse is true. Ultrasound can cause enormous stress when it often isn't necessary.

It is a biggy but many people are very anti or pro. The anti are often not in the group of women who have suffered loss or have a high risk pregnancy. The pro are often the latter!

I think that much of the research is theorised - remembering that doppler also uses ultrasound technology...

Personally it has helped me - previous though to my losses I would have been quite anti - amazing what personal experience can yield!

I think you are 100% correct Deb. The ones who love u/s the most are the ones who have the greatest risk of something not being right in their pregnancy. Its a blessing more than anything else.
    I have a friend who just had a baby who needed fortnightly scans to check a tumour/growth in her babies lungs from 19w til 34w. There was no way she would give up the scans and just hope that her child's tumous wasn't growing, and no medical professional would have let her. It was a very high risk pregnancy. U/s was a big help to her.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast