Thread: Question about finding out sex of baby (or not!) at 20 week scan.

Default Question about finding out sex of baby (or not!) at 20 week scan.

We had our 20 week scan today and decided not to find out our baby's gender (I would have but DH against it). We told the scanner to not even go into the area so that we wouldn't accidently see. When it was over I said (jokingly) to the scanner "So, do you know what the sex is?" and she laughed and said "Of course!". So, given we had no idea she even looked (briefly?) down there I now think we must be having a boy for her to know the sex by just glimpsing in the area............ Does that sound right????

yep you'll find she skimmed over the area as we requested teh same!! asked the same and got the same answer!!!

AJP - But you have a girl?

The 20wk scan is to make sure bubs is growing properly (morphology scan) and that includes their private parts, so they have to look!! I guess after you've seen the bits a thoousand times, all you need is a quick glimpse to see what you need to!

i know!! made me think she was a he!!! she must have checked at some stage, i believe like kellie said that they probably might have too look

We had the same thing. I didn't even know she had looked yet, then she told us. I couldn't believe it cause I really thought I was paying attention and would be able to see!! We're having a girl and she picked it so easily.

It looks like you're going to have to keep guessing.

Yeah i agree, often sonographers are so skilled they only need a flash () to work it out. There were 2 sonographers at my 20 wk scan, one was a trainee. We didn't want to know the sex and i was watching the screen like a hawk. I didn't see anything, i had a girl and they both knew from whatever brief glimpse they had!

I thought, as you did, that b/c they knew from such a quick glimpse i was having a boy, but no, a little girl!

You are all correct, they are very skilled at looking at scans of babies so 'inexperienced me' just obviously missed it. I WON'T study the DVD........... I should have just found out !!!!

I didn't want to know either but they do check the groin and I thought I saw 'boy bits'... guess I was right! Pack the DVD away if you don't want to know!

Just wanted to say we wanted to know, and the ladt doing the scan went over the arrea so quick and said girl that I keep thinking "how could she have known so quickly" but then a glimpse is all they need to see (isn't it 3 lines for a girl and a diddle for a boy?).

They do have to look just to check that what's supposed to be there, is there. Just because they were quick though doesn't mean it's a boy. They look at these scans all day long so they get pretty adept at it.
    I remember with DS as soon as she started the scan the sonographer said "would you like to know the sex" and we said yes, she ran the transducer down there and looked for about 2 seconds before telling us he was a boy.
    Even if you watch the dvd it's very unlikely you will identify it especially if she only had a quick look. Even when it's glaringly obvious most people need it pointed out before they can make out what they're looking at...then it's kind of "Oh Yeah!! I can see it now!!".

Jac

YOu know this sounded EXACTLY like what happened to us with dd#1.

The dr said so do you want to know what the sex is.. and we said NO.

ANd he said " Well i better move the scanner then as it is very obvious!!!"

We were a little miffed by it all and so assumed it was a boy for the next 21 weeks. Even had boys names picked out, told people it was a boy.... and didnt even ask at the birth what gender it was until the midwife said.... "do you want to know what you had" about 10 minutes later. And we said oh yeah ok.

ANd she was a girl!!!!

What a surprise that was

We thought for sure if it was obvious it had to be a boy but ..... you cant take what they say to mean that obviously in our experience.

Hi,

Our sonographer said that it is quite obvious to them by the shape of the pelvic region. But maybe that was just her experience. We did want to know (well DH did and I caved in) and were told within about 2 seconds.

Friends of ours who wanted to know, couldn't be told for sure because the cord was between the legs, but the shape of the area was showing that of a girl, and they had a girl.

As others have said, these people do this all day, so they can tell things from a quick glance.. I know in my line of work, I can get the gist of things from a quick glance, whereas others would have no idea what I was looking at.