Thread: Question about nipples, perhaps TMI.

Talking Question about nipples, perhaps TMI.

I've never thought I had weird nipples but DH has made a couple comments lately to the effect, "Are you sure that's normal?" He's actually only ever seen my boobs so he wouldn't be an expert or anything. On the surface of the nipple it's all cracked, which is how I have always assumed the milk comes out. A few of the skin pieces in the centre are yellowish rather than pink. I have obviously never closely examined other women's nipples to check to see if theirs are the same. My nipples haven't changed much since getting pregnant except that they are a bit darker and bigger and that's probably why he's noticing this now.

So, is this normal? I more want to ask to set DH's mind at ease since mine already is. That is, unless you girls tell me it's not normal

Mine are a lot darker (you can see them through three layers of light-coloured clothing) and there are occasionally yellowish lumps on them - since the colostrum started leaking, there's been fewer of the lumps.

Also, the area around the nipples are getting darker (although the nipples aren't that much larger than normal). Sort of the same colour the linea nigra is on the tummy - a sort of coffee-stain colour.

Mine aren't cracking, but then I'm rubbing colostrum onto them every 1-2 days and cocoa body butter too, so they're very well moisturised!

They aren't dry-cracked but the skin just separates into little pieces which I can see if I stretch the tip . . . not that I usually do that. That's how they've been ever since I can remember. It's just that some of the "pieces" are yellowish rather than pink and that's what makes DH think there's something wrong with them. He's only noticing it now because my nipples are darker and the yellow stands out more than it did before. I hope that makes sense. I should post a photo or something j/k.

OMG! I just checked them to make sure I was describing them accurately and something wet came out. I guess that would be colostrum.

I'm just imagining all these ladies everywhere having a squiz at their nipples to compare to :-) My nipples are cracked around the tip too but a light pink in the spaces. And lots of white dots but I've had them since I stopped BF 2yrs ago. I guess you could aways google it. (Just imagine the look on DH face if he see's you looking at pictures of nipples on the internet)

Congrats on getting your colostrum starting! Mine looks either watery or sort of like yellow thick cream.

I should also say well done on your DH recognising a change in nipple. Mine either hasn't noticed or hasn't said a word.

I posted a every similar question! My nipple has seperated into tiny pieces of skin and some skin pieces i accidentally scratched off last night :eek:

I have yellow bits and no colostrum!

Hey, I'm the same with the 'cracked' looking bits in the middle. Danni, I think the colour is just a pigment thing, rather than related to colostrum - I'm not leaking any, but I know it is there (I got panicked about not having any and not being able to breast-feed and so managed to squeeze some out in the shower!) Did it hurt when you scratched some off?! Maybe it is just a bit dry like Ryn suggested? Maybe you could get some nipple cream? I've heard it's good to expose them to the sun for a little while every now and again too. That made me laugh - I can just imagine it: the day that I lounge topless in the backyard will be the day that a group of tradesmen decide to come and fix our back fence...

I did the sun thing when I could - I was about 10w pg and opened the patio doors and laid in the sitting room, because our back garden is a bit overlooked, but at least we have no-one backing onto our garden! DH was not impressed, but stuff him. I just wish it was still sunny in the UK rather than all cold and horrid.