Thread: Questions about second pregnancies

Melinda Guest

Default Questions about second pregnancies

I'm just wondering........

For those of you who retained a lot of fluid during your first PG, did it happen to you again during your second PG? As a result, did you gain more/less weight than your first PG? Did the fluid retention/weight gain start earlier in your second PG?

I'm having a panic as already being overweight, gaining a lot of weight isn't good! With my first PG, I gained 17.5kg but it was almost entirely fluid thankfully. This PG I seem to have already gained weight something shocking - something like 7kg (first PG I gained nothing at all during the first trimester!)!! I'm only 15w!!! Strange considering I have had seriously bad nausea and not eating a great deal.

I know everyone will tell me not to analyse my weight, but I'm a very self-conscious person and am feeling very down about it.........obviously I am not going to be doing any dieting or the like whilst PG.

I gained heaps of fluid again during my second pregnancy. I think that it must have happened earlier than in my first but I'm not sure because it was only after Imran was born and it all drained away that I realised how puffy I had been. I had assumed that alot of it was fat.
    I never weighed myself so I'm not sure if I gained more weight or not.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Some tips for fluid retention I have collected:

* Aim to eat at least one meal of FRESH diuretic vegetables daily, i.e. plenty of celery, cucumber, lettuce and other green leafy things
    * Drink at least eight glasses of water a day to ensure your kidneys are getting a good flush out
    * Avoid tea, coffee or juices, ideally none at all
    * Recline for half hour each afternoon in a lateral position (left side best unless it's uncomfortable on that side)
    * Drink dandelion tea - see a naturopath or herbalist
    * Swimming for exercise
    * Reflexology
    * Lymphatic drainage massage
    * Make sure there is enough vitamin B6, magnesium and vitamin E in your diet
    * Eat small amounts of parsley in your food
    * Mandarin and grapefruit essential oils may help when massaged into the legs and ankles.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Kirsty77 Guest

Don't worry Melinda I gained 4 kgs in the first 10wks and now I reweighed myself and have lost 2 kgs of it already. The preggie body is certainly a strange one! First pregnancy I lost weight first tri and only gained a little weight but at the end I was massive and was carrying heaps of fluid too!This time I'm so much bigger and am so embarrassed as I look about 6 months pregnant and am only 3 months!Eeekkk!I'm guessing I'm gonna be huge to as I already am.I'm really self conscious about it this time round.Not sure why as last time I was so proud of my body.

Melinda Guest

Thanks for that Chloe!

And thanks for the tips Kelly! I'll be sure to pay attention to those!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

No worries - good excuse for a massage eh?!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Melinda Guest

Ooooh yes! I could use one of those! Thanks again!