Thread: quick question about early u/s's

Default quick question about early u/s's

My SIL has had a ultrasound where she would have been 5 weeks 6 days at the time of the U/S & only the sac was seen no foetal pole etc. sonographer was optimistic & said it can be normal at this point.
    But her GP was very negative & only spoke of when she miscarriages etc

is it it possible things will be ok? she is still feeling sick etc, no sign of m/c but she is feeling very confused.
    Last edited by *Efjay*; June 24th, 2008 at 06:46 PM.

FJ, at my early scan with Abbey, I should have been 6weeks by my dates. There was only a sac, not even a foetal pole. I went back and had repeaty HCG's checked and tehy were rising so I left having another scan for 3 weeks.

Try to keep your SIL positive. Even though it's a scary worrying time for all. I hope all turns out the best.

FJ - Let your SIl know that it is still early. I was 6weeks when I had my u/s with this one and there was only the sac and that only measured 5weeks. At the 7week u/s bubs was seen even tho an internal u/s was required with this viewing too. Did they do an internal u/s? Even if they did, with my one they didnt see anything with the 1st u/s. Tell her to have another BT done to see if her levels have risen which is very reassuring when the u/s doesnt show what we would like them to show. GL to your SIL, I hope she gets better news soon.

Crappy GP. That sounds normal for an early ultrasound. There are early U/S pics online if she needs to compare. I would just take it as it comes, I reckon that seeing anything that early is a good sign. Sonographers know more about U/Ss than GPs do anyway, remind your SiL of that FJ and give her my best.

FJ - your SIL should listen to her sonographer...my first scan was at 5 weeks and only the sac could be seen, nothing else. I had another scan at 8 weeks where I heard and saw the heartbeat and the little jellybean.

thanks everyone, i will pass that on

I agree with the above posters. I'd be listening to the sonographer, not the GP. With this Bub (I'm 39 weeks) we couldn't see a foetal pole at 6 weeks on the external ultrasound, only a gestational sac. Did she have an internal ultrasound? Even if she did, it's possible she ovulated a couple of days later than she thought she did in which case it would be very normal not to see a foetal pole at all.

It is definatly still early, but at 5w 4d i had a sac, 2 fetal ploes and a strong heartbeat. The twin that didn't make it was very visably empty. I wish your SIL all the best

I spoke to her again (she lives in Nth QLD & I'm in NSW, bit of a pity actually because I don't think those around her are very supportive) & she said that she went & saw another GP who drew bloods (as the first thought it was a waste of time, his exact words!) I think she gets the results of the HGC levels today. But she has nothing to compare them too yet as this is the first lot done. Hopefully they are nice & high though.
    She didn't mention it being an internal U/S so I assume it wasn't.
    She has also had 2 m/c in the past & apparently has a stunted uterus or something. Its one of those things that every says she has but no one actually has a proper name or diagnosis of her "condition" I suspect that it was a passing comment made at one of her earlier m/c & wasn't actually followed up with any real diagnosis KWIM?
    She has carried to term two kids. This will be a much wanted #3. She has been trying for about 12 months I think but she has very irregular cycles & her DH works 2 weeks out of 3 away from home so catching the unpredictable egg is difficult.

She has said she still feels as though she is pg as she is sick & her kids are pushing all her buttons, she tired etc. It all sounds positive to me. But those around her (parents, older sister) are just kind of ignoring. But thats what they are all like. Turn a blind eye to the problem & it magically disappears

I will let you all know how things go.

Your poor SIL...

I've got fingers and toes crossed for her and her hubby...

Have everything crossed for your SIL. Does she have internet access? If she does can she come on here, as you know she will get so much needed support especially when it is hard to get it from those around her. Really good that she is still feeling pg.

Sounds pretty normal to me. Can't believe her GP was so negative.
    Hopefully the results will be great (and the ms will clear up soon......and the kids give her a break. lol)
    Lots of sticky vibes!!

This just happened to my best friend. Exactly the same. She's now 15 weeks with a healthy bub
    Hope everything turns out ok for your SIL.

I think she is on dial up but never gets on the net. Not sure why. I have tried telling her to post on here but she never has. Oh well, just means there is less chance of hat I say about the IL's getting back to them LOL!

Just a quick update.

SIL had her first lot of blodes that showed exceptionally high HCG levels, Second lot done showed the same (although she couldn't tell me if they had increased, just said they werer really high).
    She gets a call from her Dr asking how she has been feeling & if she has had the ultrasound done yet.

Not yet because she has been busy with DD's birthday etc. Dr tells her to get one done ASAP & come back witht eh results. SIL asks why the urgencey?? Dr suspects she may be pg with Twins!

First ultrasound only showed one sac so chances are its only one bub or maybe identical twins.
    She has her scan on Tuesday.

Be funny if it turns out she is pg with twins as I told her that I thougt ti was Twins the first time she told me she was pg, because she was really really sick with morning sickness. So if it turns out I picked a winner I will be riding that one out for years " I told her it was twins from the very start!"

FJ, I have just had 2 internal scans a week apart due to bleeding. The first one showed a sac and that's all. The next one a week later showed a blob with a heartbeat and measured 6w 3d. So if SIL was 5 - 6 weeks at the first scan then it would be too early to see anything. 1 week to 10 days later makes a huge difference.

It will be interesting to see if she does have twins there - keep us posted!!

Heard from MIL that the scan showed just the one bub but nice & strong heartbeat & everything looks fine

FJ, good to hear that all is fine with bubs