Thread: Quitting the FAGS

snowflake Guest

Default Quitting the FAGS

Just don't know! I want to but boy is it hard!
    Is it easier to quit the moment you find out you are pregnant? :smt102

Hi there

For me personally the only good thing about morning sickness was the ability to quit smoking - the smell would make me heave uncontrollably....

Being a full time smoker for 13 years - I haven't had a cigarette for 17 weeks....however admitedly 2 weeks ago I had a hankering that was unbelievable - however i did not give in.

Stay strong - you'll be able to do it.....it's worth it and you know it's for a good cause.

GOOD LUCK

di

Come on snowflake you can do it.
    I have been quit for over 10 months now. \/

Have you got a Quit pack ? That helped me get the motivation.

What else do you enjoy? Try swapping a ciggy for another treat. I swapped them for killer pythons which I love and the sugar still gave me a kick. Now I am down to 1 killer python a week!

Snowflake.. I know what you mean.... So far I have gone from 10-15 a day to 3-4.... hoping to get rid of the last few very soon... but it is sooo hard.....

I have been told lotsa diferent stories.... keep smoking but cut down, so baby doesnt get withdrawl...

Stop smoking....

If still smoking after 12 weeks just cut down....

And so on & so on....

I will talk to my midwife tonight & see what she says....

Good luck though..... we CAN do it.... (without going grey LOL)

snowflake Guest

I don't mind the old killer pythons! Yes, I really enjoy donuts...imagine I had a donut every time I wanted a smoke!! :eat: Then everyone would think I was pregnant! \/

I want to steer away from nicotine patches, do you know if these can be harmful if TTC? Surely couldn't be as bad as smokes

Well done on quitting, I envy anyone that can really kick it :smt038

I was told to cut back my cigarette intake and also go down to 1 milligram cigarettes - i bought a pack of the 1 milligrams and got so fustrated trying to suck the life out of them that this also contributed to giving up.

Good Luck with everything - you know you can do it

snowflake i hope you can do it,i havnt been able to.i smoked with both previous prgs and again with this one.i am about 15 a day.i will give it another go when she is born.i lasted 6 weeks when i found out i was prg this time around.
    nikki

Tachi77 Guest

Snowflake I quit as soon as I found out I was pregno (5 weeks). I feel like having one now and then but I don't want to, I soon forget I really want one. I was waiting to fall pregnant to really quit! I wasn't a heavy smoker (1-3 a day mainly in the evenings) so I guess that made it easier to quit. Good luck.

i havent had a ciggi in 5 years.

it is hard, and i think that having a good reason to help motivate you (what better reason than a bub!!!) will definately help. LOL about the donuts. i hope you can kick it.

good luck TTC too!

Linda

Lee-Ann Guest

I'd never really been a "full-time" smoker, just would have a ciggy when out drinking with friends etc and then about 18 months or so ago I started smoking everyday up to about 10 a day. I had a suspicion I might be pregnant and had started to cut down and once I did my pg test I stopped immediately. But probably about 2 months ago I really felt like a ciggy and took a small drag of DH's ciggy, ugh, it was so gross and has turned me off smoking forever! I really can't stand the smell of it and feel so much better not smoking. I think being pregnant is a really good incentive not to smoke but it's always better to give up beforehand.

Debbie Lee Guest

Snowflake - I have never been a smoker (used to just have a few when I was drinking but my DH put a stop to that when I met him). But I just wanted to wish you all the best. I think just coming in here and talking about it is fantastic! Good on you. It's gotta be a bloody hard thing to do and I say well done to those that can quit. My Mum stopped smoking when she was preggo and BFing. She just said it came naturally to her to do so?? Anyway... just wanted to add my support

Stop now, before you are pregnant. Smoking affects fertility in both men and woman, and therefore some women take longer to concieve.

Cutting down is ok if you have the willpower, I didn't. It was serious with me, I couldn't have a pack and only smoke three or four, had to have the usual amount and told myself that I would do it tomorrow, which never came. Eventually when I got my act together, I used to buy packs, take my 3 or 4 out and chuck the rest of the packet in a bucket of water, rendering them useless. I also wnet on the patches. It takes time, but it is worth it in the end. You have so much energy and your clothes and hair don't stink.

There is also a drug that has been aorund in the UK for some time now to help you stop, it is now available in Australia. Can't remember the name of it, but ask your GP.

Good luck.

Hi ,
    i gave up 11 weeks ago using the patches when i told my Ivf clinic i was using patches to give up they wanted me to stop it straight away they said that it is better then the ciggarettes but only just best to quit and be done with it - easier said then done ](*,) but i did , one day at a time , i think you have to have a motivation mine was simple i want a baby sooo bad that every time i put a ciggarette to my mouth i used to imagine my eggs were drying up like old prunes so i used the patches for 2 weeks but i still could rip one out of the nearest persons hand when i get stressed out and ansty about the whole TTC thing, goodluck with it

Just because you are pg, doesn't mean it is easier to give up. DO IT NOW!!

I'm still having trouble, but down to about 3-4 a day.

The worst thing was that EVERYONE around me said they either gave up easily straight away, or by about 20 weeks. So of course I fet like utter crap because I couldn't quite make it over the line, I really beat myself up over it. THEN after bubs was born, they ALL admitted they had stacks of trouble too, and most didn't completely give up either. GGGRrrrr, I realy wish I had known that.

Try to give up before - the guilt can be pretty bad. I had no problem giving up BEFORE I fell pg, cos I could use the patches.

Then I got a divorce, moved away from my home, got a new partner and then his house burnt down, my brother died and my rotten ex sold my house. So of course I was back on them again by the time I fell pg with Mitch. GGrrrrrrr

Do it! Do it now!!!!!

Lulu... I am the same as you cut down to 3-4 a day... but I just cant stop having those wee few....

I agree if you want to stop then do it now.... it will be hard regardless when you try & stop... but if you REALLY want to stop then there is no time like the present...

I gave up while I was trying to conceive but then caved and started again. I had been smoking for about 3 or 4 weeks when I found out I was pregnant. I was so determined to do the best I could for this little one so I stopped straight away. I miss it occasionally, but I have something much much better growing inside me now, and that is my motivation. It hasnt been nearly as hard as I thought it would be, I actually miss ham more then I miss smoking

When I fell pg by surprise, I was a 15 a day smoker (8mg), and had been smoking for 4 years. It took me until about week 12-14 of my pg to give up completely.
    First I cut down to 4mg, and then 2mg, and would also ration myself out less and less each day.
    It wasn't easy, especially as DP was still smoking around me all throughout my pg, but I somehow I managed to stay off them. (Although on many occasions I would drop to my knees and beg DP for a ciggy, and he would refuse to give me one... which was a good thing!)
    I haven't gone back to them at all since Aidyn was born (tried one and though it was foul!) so I have now been smoke free for 2 years!
    And I managed to set a good enough example for DP as well who has now been off them for a year.

Melody Guest

Interesting thread & so glad to see I am not alone in the struggle against the dread cigarettes!

I put off quitting a million times for a million reasons.... 'next week', 'it's not so bad', 'I'll drop milligrams' etc.

The day IVF implanted Hunter in my womb there was no longer any excuse that even vaguely made sense so I never took another puff & have been smoke free (on Dec 1st) for a whole year after 12 years of full-time smoking & five years of loathing & failed attempts to quit.

I found it quite easy during the pregnancy but after I gave birth i really could have caved.... the sun going down on a balmy evening, you pour yourself a glass of wine.... perfect time for a cigarette. That sort of stuff.

I can't go back, not for Hunters sake but most importantly, not for mine!
    I'm free of them & fully intend to stay that way!

Good luck!