Thread: Raspberry leaf tea and Evening Primrose Oil

Default Raspberry leaf tea and Evening Primrose Oil

I have just started to take one tablet of EPO orally and inserting one this week. I have also been having 2-3 cups (usually 2) of RLT for a few weeks now. I was just wondering if either of these stimulate bowels too? (Sorry if TMI!!)
    I had been relying on metamicil twice a day for ages to be regular and not get constipated, but since starting with the tea, I was taking it once a day, then with the EPO, I don't need any metamucil anymore. I also thought it could just be my body getting ready for baby and all of my 'bits' loosening up down there, LOL. But I think that might be wishful thinking. I'm also worrying that if I increase the amount of either in the coming weeks I might get the runs??
    Does anyone know about this??

Hi i also found that when drinking the tea i was regular.
    Im drinking 4 cups a day now. No runs but no need for metamucil.

I'm not sure about the runs either, but I've been drinking the tea and have noticed a little bit looser in the bowels area myself!!!

Oh, and just wanted to mention - my OB told me not to insert the EPO because there is evidence that it actually makes your labour longer.. just thought I would pass it on!!!

wow thats interesting re the insertion of EPO - i never took any orally ut i did insert for a few weeks - had 4 hr labour.... but 1 person is not exactly a good sample size. My OB recommended inserting btu said taking orally wont do much... i guess they all have diff opinions!!!! good luck girls!!

I have heard that EPO is good for helping ripen the cervix, don't know about making labour slower? Though this labour couldn't get any longer than my last- 23hrs! Oh gosh I hope it doesn't go any longer than that, LOL!!
    ETA, I was also thinking about my original question, and maybe it's just the extra liquid making things easier...?
    Thanks for your replies!

I took EPO orally and otherly and my labour was 19 hours (sounds long but wasn't that bad!). My waters refused to break though, which I've since read can be a side effect of EPO....though that was just one persons post so who knows if it's proven? Guess I should get googling! Not sure why it woudl make labour slower.....it shouldn't affect dilation I would have thought?

cat - I have no idea why it would slow labour down, but apparently there were heaps of studies done and my OB had read the reports.... but everyone has their own opinion on everything!! lol

i did a google b4 (i previously lurked around a different forum where they were all popping and inserting epo) and the study that said epo wasnt advisable to take etc was dated 1999..
    Oral evening primrose oil: Its effect on length of pregnancy and selected intrapartum outcomes in low-risk nulliparous women

Dorinda Dove MS, CNMCorresponding Author Contact Information and Peter Johnson, CNM, PhDc

Available online 29 July 1999.

References and further reading may be available for this article. To view references and further reading you must purchase this article.

Abstract

Evening primrose oil is widely used by many midwives to hasten cervical ripening in an effort to shorten labor and decrease the incidence of postdates pregnancies. Although its efficacy has been studied in the relief of symptoms of a number of medical conditions, its use has not been well studied, if at all, for the purpose of cervical ripening. The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of oral evening primrose oil on the length of pregnancy and selected intrapartum outcomes in low-risk nulliparous women. A two group retrospective quasi-experimental design conducted on a sample of women who received care in a birth center, compared selected outcomes of 54 women taking evening primrose oil in their pregnancy with a control group of 54 women who did not. Findings suggest that the oral administration of evening primrose oil from the 37th gestational week until birth does not shorten gestation or decrease the overall length of labor. Further, the use of orally administered evening primrose oil may be associated with an increase in the incidence of prolonged rupture of membranes, oxytocin augmentation, arrest of descent, and vacuum extraction.
    another forum i was looking at made a reference to all the 'silly' women taking epo, but i think their opinon is/was that EPO is not letting your bub/body chose its own birthday and isnt 'natural'.

ive been on/off orally taking one a day for awhile.. i do notice i get more cramp feelings those days.. but i wont be inserting them..