Thread: Really thirsty during GCT? And did you end up with GD?

Default Really thirsty during GCT? And did you end up with GD?

I did my glucose challenge test GCT (non-fasting) for GD this morning. And I was insanely thirstly throughout and afterwards even though I'd drunk & eaten my normal breakfast. So I'm just wondering if other people felt that too? And did you go on to have GD or not?

Incidentally, I did have GD (on insulin) with my last PG (but spewed in the GTT at 1.5hrs - which stuffs it up) hence they're starting me with the GCT this time. Guess I'm nervous that excessive thirst is a symptom of diabetes so hoping it doesn't mean I've got it again . Wish me luck!

Not sure if I'll be much help, but I was also insanely thirsty when I took the tests. I failed (not quite the right word, but you know what I mean) the first one where you only have the two blood tests so had to go back and do the full on one. I think I had to fast for it (can't quite remember), but they did the three blood tests over two hours. Anyway, I came up all clear for GD with that one.

Try not to worry to much, in my experience the thirst didn't mean I had it, but it did show that I could have it iykwim? My OB told me at the time that 75% of women who show up as at risk in the first test end up not having GD when they do the full test. Anyway, hope this helps.

Thanks Miss E, that's really great to hear that you were thirsty too but didn't get it. I can't remember if I felt this thirsty last time. I do know that a lot of people fail the first and have to do the second... but I've also been told I'm something like 85% risk of getting it cos I had it last time... hopefully I'm in that 15%....

Sorry Belfie, I had the fasting GTT, not the GCT so I'm not much help. I felt a little nauseas and light headed after drinking the glucose drink but I didn't feel thirsty. (and I DO have GD)

Thanks MamaSpice, good to know. Well I've found out I failed the GCT anyway, so now I need to try get through the GTT. I have everything crossed!

Crossing everything you pass the GTT!!!

xox

It's normal to feel thirsty hun....you have just drunk a truckload fo glucose and your body trying to flush it out the only way it knows how...through your urine. It doesn't mean anything either way...fingers crossed for a nice healthy non GD reading for you!

Quote Originally Posted by belfie View Post
    Thanks MamaSpice, good to know. Well I've found out I failed the GCT anyway, so now I need to try get through the GTT. I have everything crossed!
    Oh Bugger! Got my that you pass the GTT with flying colours!

Well after checking with my obs he's referring me straight to the endo given my failure to complete the GTT last time, he thinks there's no point trying again. I imagine I'll be monitoring BSL's again which will probably quickly show if mine are going high. I suspect they will. Will be interested to see if the endo thinks it's worth trying to do the GTT, as last time he said my "spew" timing was highly unusual (given it was 1.5 hours in). Ah well, finger pr1cking here we go!

Thanks for the good wishes Jewel anyway. And Mamaspice & Melbel... see ya in the GD thread!