Thread: reflux

Default reflux

argh! OK be warned this is kind of a boohoo.

I am finding it extremely hard to drink anything except for milk.
    As a result I am thirsty a lot cos Im not drinking enough water, but water is the absolute worst thing for my reflux. As soon as I have a mouthful I feel sick.

None of the over the counter medication does anything for it, so I am going to see my GP on Wednesday to see if theres anything prescription wise that may be worth a try.

The thing is I am taking Chinese Herbal Medicine and Im not sure I can have the two at the same time either..

I wish it would just go away!!

can you add a drop of cordial to the water?

have tried cordial, it doesnt help. I actually like water, I'm just having trouble forcing myself to do it cos of the pain ah well, at least it will go away once the bub is here..i hope! lol

You poor thing, I have lived a lifetime of reflux and I know what you mean about drinking water. I am known to get huge dehydration headaches because I'd rather not drink (I make sure I drink while I'm pg though ). At least if you can handle milk you will be getting enough. How frustrating about the feeling of thirst all the time though. I've always just sipped water/cordial and taken my time to drink it, then it doesn't hit too bad.

I hope it all goes away very soon .

Ray, that is terrible! I was trying AP for ages to try and get heartburn under control, as well as over the counter stuff like gaviscon and mylanta, but they didn't do anything other than give me maybe 10 minutes relief. I have been on pariet (a drug prescribed by my GP) for about a week now, and it is the best thing I have done all pregnancy! I sleep and can lay down and eat well etc etc. I hope you find something that works for you soon!

Have you tried sparkling mineral water? Not sure if that might "stay down"... Hope you find something to help with the burn soon. xo

maybe you could mix half cold water and half milk?

What about iced water?

Speak to sarah--- msn me for her details. She had some medication for reflux--- hers was really bad at the end of her pregnancy

Rayray - i spoke to my Ob about unbearable heartburn about 6 weeks back, and have been on Ranitidine every since - the reduction to heartburn/reflux has been amazing! i still have shocking nausea from the MS, but NO burning anymore. it's been a huge change. i was chewing through a packet or more of over the counter stuff daily - in the six weeks, i've probably used half a dozen packs if that - and a lot were on days like yesterday where i had no choice but to go in the car, so i used them as just "something" to chew on to keep the MS at bay - definitely not for reflux

harrass them on Wednesday to see what they can help you with - you've still got 7ish weeks to go - you can't feel that bad for that long...

ooh, as a suggestion to ward of the burning and keep you hydrated - suck on fruit juice icy poles. not sure if you ahve access to a freezer at work, but it might be an idea when you're home.... and don't let DH prepare indian for dinner anymore!

lol...prepare...hehe he took it out of the containers I suppose..

Thanks for all the suggestions
    We do have a freezer at work and its pretty well empty, I am sure I cuold fit a bag of quelch icypoles in there..id just have not not eat them all in the one day!

Quote Originally Posted by rayray View Post
    lol...prepare...hehe he took it out of the containers I suppose..
    couldn't remember if he'd gotten take away or cooked, so i was being as diplomatic as possible... lol