Thread: running during pregancy

Default running during pregancy

hi there all mums or mums to be..

I am hopefully pregnant again with my second child...or will be soon we hope. Anyway, during my first pregnancy I ran almost everyday and also did Yoga, light weights at the gym and walked for 30 mins after dinner about 3 times a week.

I am hoping to talk to other pregnant mums who are as passionate about running and fitness as me. No, I did not do anything dangerous, and I was very fit BEFORE pregnancy...and I certainly take a rest day if I need it, and NEVER get myself overheated.

So who else out there LOVES running and cannot bear to be without their fix during pregnancy? I would love to hear your experiences and stories.

Hello,
    My DH and I are currently trying to conceive and I am a dancer/dance teacher. I plan to keep dancing throught my pregnancy when it happens. Also there are about 4 or 5 ladies that I dance with who have continued dancing throughout their pregnancy. One of my friends even performed in our annual concert when she was 5 months. Of course you need to know limitations and not do anything ridiculuous but it is very healthy to keep up the exercise and as you say if you are fit before you fall pregnant and you know your body then good on you!!!

Default reply

Hi and welcome to BB!

Im probably the most unfit person in the world, but I just wanted to ask you what was it like (feeling wise) running with a big tummy!!

hi runnermum!!

i am so glad you have posted this!! i know exactly how you feel. i am not a super fit person, but in the 2 years prior to TTC, i had taken up running and discovered how much i love it. i would run 10km most saturdays and had just started planning entering some events.

in the first tri, i had MS so didnt feel up to running, hardly even did any walking. then i was worried about taking it up again in case i had 'lost it' and would be putting too much strain on myself.

anyway, at about 20 weeks i started just running a couple of blocks just to get that 'feeling' again - and it felt so good!!! i didnt even feel pg!! anyway, i have had a bit of a sore back in the last couple of weeks, so have stopped again, but i actually dream about running!! im not kidding!!

so, no i havent been running while pg, but all the best to you!!! just make sure you take care of yourself!! i am counting down to be able to get back into my running again. my running buddy is planning some events we will run in together next year, and i cant wait!!

all the best to you runnermum!!! \/

Linda

oh - and btw runnermum - congrats on your pg/good luck!!

Linda

thanks everyone for your replies..

Idawson...good on your for running during pregnancy. Some days it can be hard as you don't really feel like it...but after even a bit of running you just know you will feel better...

As I have already ran through one pregnancy (up until the day I delievered), I know I can do it again and actually look forward to being in events where I don't have to be competitive....which normally I am. Last pregnancy I continued to enter 10ks, half marathons and even a 5km event when I was 9 months pregnant (in a very resonable time of 27mins).

what did it feel like Nadia? It is different in every trimester. Tiring in the first, more enjoyable in the 2nd trimester, and just slower in the third. I think doing Yoga helped a lot as did doing some light weights....my body actually became VERY strong and I am not known for my strength, as I am a distance runner, not sprinter!!

I say I look forward to NOT being able to race, but in my heart, I know I love racing in events so much and will miss that aspect of my sport while I am pregnant.

does anyone else feel like this? Also, how will I even organise my time to be able to train again and race again AND have newborn baby and a toddler? It seems SO easy right now with just a toddler...

I am a bit of a runner too. I am running about 4 times a week at the moment get nice and fit and slim before TTC in Jan. I am glad that it is ok to run during pregnancy. I was thinking that maybe it would shake the baby up and not be good for it. I can't believe that you ran a race at nine months. =D> Wow. Was your tummy bouncing up and down a lot without any support?

hi Dave's girl...

sorry, I am not familiar with forum talk...what is TTC stand for?

Hey, glad to hear someone else on this forum runs...I know there are a lot more of us out there....including preggo runners!! where are you?

Yes, most people just stopped and stared at me while I 'raced' ( it was not fast for me) the 5km at 9 months pregnant....yes, I suppose I bounced, but it certainly did not hurt, otherwise I would not do it! I also have very strong abs and worked on strengthening my back too.

You what to know the hardest thing about running while pregnant? Are the stares and looks from other people.... especially those who I can just think I am doing something terrible, not realising just how much slower I am running than normal, and never to a point of exhustion.

Sometimes I would run so early in the morning just to avoid other people and then run with my husband in 'races' or ''fun runs' for the moral support.

I hope this inspires other regular runners not to give it up while pregnant...it is a wonderful chance to feel 'normal', keep feeling good about yourself, and a special time with bub inside!

Hi,

Just wanted to say Congrats for keeping on with your running regardless of the stares.....some people are so rude and ignorant! I guess it would be a sight to see though but good to hear that you remain so fit and healthy!!

By the way TTC means Trying to Conceive!!

You'll pick up the lingo along th way!!

Jess

thanks for the lingo explainantion Jess....TTC is what we are actually doing right now....as I said in my first message.. I HOPE to be pregnant soon with our 2nd.

thanks also for the support. I am enjoying my fast running right now but really hope to concieve soon. Still hope to hear from others out there who are pregnant runners or running mums !

thanks for the lingo explainantion Jess....TTC is what we are actually doing right now....as I said in my first message.. I HOPE to be pregnant soon with our 2nd.

thanks also for the support. I am enjoying my fast running right now but really hope to concieve soon. Still hope to hear from others out there who are pregnant runners or running mums !

Hi runnermum,

I am in western suburbs of melbourne. I am not a natural runner but force myself to do it to keep fit. I think I will do as you have done and work on my abs and back too.
    That's a shame about the looks that you get from strangers. Maybe they are just jealous that they aren't in as good shape as you and they don't even have pregnancy as an excuse.
    I'd love to take bub for a run with Mum in my tum I can't wait.

Good luck with TTC number 2

I wish I could keep going to the gym but unfortunately exercise ends with me bleeding and I just can't risk it anymore. I've been to the gym this afternoon and suspended my membership for the next 2 weeks.

Good luck with your running.