Thread: safe to travel to asia?

Default safe to travel to asia?

Hi everyone!

I am expecting my first bub in May and my DH and I were thinking we would like to go on a holiday before the little one arrives.

I was wondering if anyone has been to Asia whilst pregnant? Were there any difficulties with food? I've been vaccinated against Hep A and B in the past but would I need any others? We were thinking of Malaysia or Thailand or maybe Bali.

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks

Hi Lis, i'm not sure to tell you the truth. I don't think malaria can cross the placenta but it can still harmm the baby if you get sick, dehydration etc. As I said, i'm not certain. It would be best to go and speak to your GP. I have a friend who is going to South Africa and she is 13 weeks pg and she is worrying about the same thing.

Good luck! Why don't you have a holiday up in QLD instead - a nice romantic island somewhere, sandy beaches, Pina Coladas (virgin) on the balcony sounds lovely I might have to live vicariously through you!!!

Enjoy the peace and quiet before bubs is born!

lis,
    I lived in Bali (would go back tomorrow if we could!) My hubby is Balinese.
    I was living nin Bali til about 25wks into my pregnancy with DD#1, I was mostly in a village & not at nice airconditioned hotel & I managed...
    I also eat where the locals eat & have never been ill..
    Unless your planning on trecking in the jungles Malaria is fairly uncommon in the tourist areas, I know of many persons travelling, living etc in Indonesia who are, have & were preg without any issues.
    If you eat at restaurants in the Tourist areas you should have no probs whatsoever, as these all have to abide by the Government regulations in regards to hygiene, food handling etc.
    If you need any more info just ask, but there is no reason that asia is dangerous to travel in whilst preg, after all they make babies too....

I would have gone to Asia while I was pregnant if I had had the chance. You just need to be vigiliant about following all the standard health precations (don't drink dodgy water, watch for heat stroke, only eat hot food from clean establishments etc.) I agree with Tracey - Asian people make babies too lol.

Yep, only drink bottled water... Ice is now fine in Restaurants, cafe's etc... Plenty of cheap yummy foods even at Tourist places in Bali.... OOOh I wish I was heading home.......

For your planning just remember that most countries wont let you travel inside their borders after about 24w unless you are on a residents visa. Generally speaking its the countries more like USA, GB etc, but I dont even know if you can get travel insurance after a certain number of weeks.
    Would be worth checking that out, and corresponding it with a calender before you get too far down the booking process.
    I'm jealous too - I would have killed for a holiday this year Ah well - I guess it will be next year with a newborn and a toddler! Eeek!

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

Tracey - thanks a lot it was nice to get the perspective of someone who has lived in Bali. My DH really wants to go there but that was the place I was the most worried about as i have heard stories of people getting food poisoning. But I guess that can happen anywhere....

I will check with my doctor as well. Now I only have to decide where to go...LOL.....!

Yep, my SIL had to fly back from UK when she was 24wks pg cause her travel insurance wouldn't cover her after that. (so much for their big adventure abroad!)

lis, Food poisoning is not common in Bali.
    People often try various foods when on holidays, they will consume more alcohol, due to the heat also more water, they will indulge in foods & drinks they dont tewnd to do day in day out at home....
    This upsets their guts & causes what they call Bali Belly, but this is not food poisoning, it's simply a change in diet & weather etc...
    So if you stick to cafe/bar/Restaurant/hotel meals you'll have no probs...

Definately some great shopping to be had.....

Wherever you go, have fun!!!!

Default Asia holiday

Hi Lis,
    I spent about 90% of my three pregnancies in different parts of Asia. I think it might have been a case of 'ignorance is bliss'! It was only when I came back to Australia that suddenly I had all these warnings said to me about listeria etc. I was like, "what - I can't even have a donor kebab??"
    I was 6 months pregnant and had a 22 month old when we went to India & Nepal. We were in areas where there was polio, Dengue fever and other things. But we did all the usual common sense things like bottled water, avoiding ice, peelable fruit only, no shell-fish, avoid fast-food kiosks & carts, antiseptic hand gel, and so on. Actually I was more worried about my toddler getting a bug. We stayed in some pretty "bring your own star" kind of places - I had my little baggie with a scotch-brite and some multi-purpose cleaner, don't laught - and I would clean the bathrooms myself in some of those dodgy places, which satisfied my 'nesting' urges! We all stayed healthy. For me, traffic safety was more of a concern that infection. That was a little bit freaky sometimes.
    I hope you have a fantastic time. There is something about swimming in the ocean while pregnant ....

Thanks Julie! That makes me feel better, we still haven't decided where we will go yet. He he he about the cleaning products but I would probably do exactly the same thing, I'm a bit of cleaning freak these days! Thanks again, you live in a beautiful part of the world although I'm a little biased as I don't live very far from you

Hi Lis, yes you're right, after living in big Asian cities for 16 years, little Warbie just seemed like a little bit of heaven. We move there next month! High excitement. Asia was fantastic, but I got as homesick as Dorothea Mackellar "I love a sunburnt country" especially after i started having kids, then I really wanted to be home in Oz. How far away are you?
    Congratulations on your pregnancy, hope it all goes fantastic for you.

Good luck with the move Julie. I hope it all goes well and that you and your family love your new home! How many kids do you have? I live in Kilsyth, takes about 20 mins by car to get to Healesville. I love being so close to the Dandenongs and all my family live nearby so its ideal for us.

I went to Bali whilst pregnant all three times. No problems at all. I spend most of the time up the east coast and mountains and away from the more built up areas. Best thing is to make sure you drink bottled water and make sure you drink LOADS of water. You have to keep hydrated (I made that mistake once) Eat sensibly, carry antiseptic wipes and listen to your body. Dont over do it!
    Have fun, any where you go you will have a ball. I am thinking of headed back in Feb again ( went twice this year LOL, addicted )

My mum did some trekking in India when pg with my little sister. She's fine...

Guess what Lis, my second babe was born on 18 May, too! (although i spose the chances that your #2 will actually be born on 18 May are pretty slim - still!)
    We have three little lassies aged 8, 6 and 3. They are "lively" - we don't exactly 'do' docile (no hope of them being 'demure' or 'docile' with a mum like me!)
    Yes this is sure a pretty part of the country to live. It is great that you have heaps of family around you, I think that helps so much during the years of pregnancy, breast-feeding and looking after little kids. I was in a very isolated situation during my child-bearing years. I did not have friends, (woman friends who might have a clue what I was going through that is) let alone family. There's a saying, "motherhood needs company" and I was pretty lonely. Still one thing that did, was force me to research all about birth since there was no-one I could ask, and as a result I had three beaut homebirths with no hassles. And then that led to my new occupation - birth work.
    I really love being back in Oz! There is heeeeeaaps more support here! My relatives are in other states - but there is a great sense of local community support for young families that is good.
    Ummm - kind of off the topic of travelling in Asia, I hope that's all right!
    Cinnamon, sounds like you have explored some beautiful parts of SE Asia. Did you ever use the Lonely Planet guides (no I don't have shares in that company!) - I found them quite good.
    I hope I haven't broken a rule by mentioning a product! Gulp. I'm new at this internet stuff .....

Lis, we are preg with #3 now & due in July 2007 & heading back to Bali in early Sept 2007 (Danni, did ya get that)...
    I want to go back before Indah is 2 & we have to pay 75% of her fare, so bubs will be little but I lived there for 4 yrs & we have local cards so we can see a local Paed for a few cents!! hee hee!

Have fun & I love Asia!!!!

Well some bad news on the holiday. My husbands employers are having some financial trouble and will be down-sizing in the next few months. That means my DH may lose his job. So that means our holiday won't be happening in the short term.
    Such bad timing and stressful seeing I was going to go on maternity leave in April!

Oh well thanks for all your responses ladies! We would still like to travel to Asia so hopefully we will be able to go one day and take our bub with us!