Thread: Second GTT Test ??

Question Second GTT Test ??

I have to go in tomorrow morning for the complete glucose test. Sorry I don't know the formal name. For Gestational Diabetes. I only know that I have to have it over 2 hours.

Apparently I am to fast, but I am not sure from what time, how long etc. My Dr never did tell me any of it. This is the first time I've had to go and have the second test.

Can someone tell me what is involved please ?

TIA

i had the test and i had to fast for 12hours beforehand. the test involves having the drink then taking blood, then you basically just sit there for an hour (take a book) then they make you have another drink, take more blood, wait another hour and take more blood. it's not too bad, just make sure you wear comfy trakkies and take something to read. for the record, mine came back negative. good luck!

Hey trish
    With the two hour test I think I had to fast from 10pm the night before and the test would be first thing in the morning.

From memory they also had me "carb load" for three days beforehand but this might have been for the three hour - geez I've had more of these tests than I can poke a stick at over two GD pregnancies

Basically you go in, and they take a urine sample and a blood draw. You have a disgusting sugary drink, then they take another blood draw. Then you wait an hour, they take more blood. Then another hour and they take the final sample.

So over two hours they'll take 4 samples.

I've had so many of these and I've found there have been variations depending on where I've had them done. But that's the basic gist.

Make sure you have someone to drive you home because after the fasting, blood taking and all the sugar you'll feel pretty crap after it.

Good luck and I hope you pass!

Thanks girls. That sounds like total crap. My arms are going to be killing me

Buggar I thought it was the same as the other test only more to drink and a longer period. I had planned on dumping the kids at mum's and going back and forth. She only lives about 5 mins drive from the Dr. Guess I have to change those plans now.

Any wonder your body has a reaction to it. Who pours in that much sugar over such a period of time.

yeah Trish they probably won't let you leave (I tried this too LOL) - they don't like letting a big preggo high on sugar with no food run around unsupervised

i don't think they'll let you leave either. i wanted to take my dog to the park in between tests (there's a park at the back of testing place) but they wouldn't let me. said i had to sit and relax for the whole 2 hours.

Hmm I wonder if I take my mummy with me

She can drive me back and forth. Stuff sitting around for 2 hours.That will kill me more than the test. Unless of course they give me a bed out the back to nap on

Yep you're not supposed to move much at all, you're allowed to go to the toilet & back to your seat & that's it, reason being they don't want exercise or movement to affect the results. When I had mine it was only a BT, drink, sit around for two hours, BT so you might be lucky Trish. I also had the carb loaded diet for a few days beforehand as well.

Thanks for that Sarah. Well I wasn't put on a carb diet at all. Is that something wierd or not ?? Hoping my test is just like yours then.

Ok, so new plan will be for mum to take me there and she can watch the kids. If need be, and it will be needed, she can take them back to her house for the time I need to stay and then come back and get me. Does that sound like a good plan ??

Of course I have to get her to agree to it too. LOL.

When i had the 2hr test i didnt have the carb diet either but i did have to fast for 12 hours beforehand. Then i had a blood test first, then the drink(which made me absolutely sick!) and then wait an hour and then have another blood test and then wait another hour and have a 3rd blood test. I actually did get to lay down in one of their rooms because i was so sick from the drink and i had a nap.

Sounds promising for me then Tegan

I did get to lay down in their rooms before when I had migraines, oh and when I was bleeding early in this pregnancy.

Will let you all know how I go later today.

Does anyone know if I'm allowed to have alittle bit of water ?? My throat is so parched, as it always is when I wake up. I'm a mouth breather so it all dries out.

I have to have this test this week UGH! I have to start the carb diet (150 grams of carbs a day for three days) tomorrow, then fast for 10 - 12 hours prior to having blood and urine taken first thing the morning of the test. I was told to take some reading material because Im not allowed to leave the pathologist. Oh the joy of all these tests. Im being sent for the test due to both my babies being over 10 lbs.

Nicole

There seems to be a lot of variation in the GTT. Some places want you to carb load prior to the test while others don't. Some take blood beginning, middle and end, some just do start and end testing.
    I have just had a 6 week post partum GTT since I had GD. At least I could sit there and cuddle my little bubs this time.

Anyways, hope that your tests are all negative, GD is a massive pain in the bum and very stressful.

I am STILL waiting for my GP to get back to me with the results.

I have called and left messages on both Friday and this afternoon for her to call me back with the results. I am guessing though that it must not be too bad or she would have rang me.

There sure does seem to be a big difference in the way these tests are done.

Nicole, I hope your test goes well and your results come back good.

dueinjan Guest

Hello!

I had my GTT last week and just got my results (I skipped the mini GT because I had GD last time). Looks like I got lucky this time - all my BGLs were low.

I did the 12 hour fast, urine sample, fasting sample, drink (yuck!), 1 hour sample, 2 hour sample. I had to increase my carbs for the 3 days leading up to it also. I was so tempted to have a (black) coffee in the morning but I'm glad I didn't because apparently caffeine can effect the results. So water only.

I've heard from a few people now that the 1 hour test came up positive for them, but the GTT came back negative.

Good luck!

(please excuse any ramblings as my preggo brain is not working effectively)

Oh forgot to update in here. I got my results back on Monday evening. Thankfully they were all clear.

So no GD for me. YAY !!!

Thanks for all the info and support ladies, it is much appreciated

Yay for you Trish, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.