Thread: seeing a heartbeat rule out miscarriage???

Default seeing a heartbeat rule out miscarriage???

Hi girls,

I read in one of these posts that seeing/hearing a heartbeat diminishes the chances of m/c by 98%. Is this true?

Does seeing the heartbeat mean everything is likely to be okay?

I know there may be no cause or reason for miscarriage, i guess i just want some reasurrance that what i saw yesterday (bubs heartbeat at 8.5 weeks) means things are travelling along nicely.....

Thanks....

Melinda Guest

Firstly, I just want to say congratulations on having such a great scan and seeing your little one's heartbeat! It's so miraculous!!! Seeing the heartbeat is so very reassuring and it means that so far, things are going along as they should be. Having said that (and please bare in mind that I do not intend to upset you or offend you in any way), there is still a small risk of m/c until you reach the 12w mark in your PG. Most m/c's unfortunately do occur before 8w, but there are some instances where it does happen after this, for whatever reason (it happened to me). This is not to say of course that this is going to happen to you, so please don't be frightened that it will. It sounds to me as though things are going along beautifully!

I sincerely hope that you are not offended or upset by this....it's not my intention.

I would say its definitely a good sign, but doesn't ultimately rule out a m/c iykwim. Like Mel said there is still a slight chance (between 2-5% I think) which is definititely alot lower than prior to seeing the heartbeat So I think of it this way, I was terrified prior to hearing it, now I can be as concerned as everyone else iykwim? *EVERYONE* has the risk of miscarriage, some more than others but the risk is there. So try not to worry too much (easier said than done right?) and even if the risk factors dropped only by a little, it means you've passed one hurdle right? And you are closer to *the safer stage*

Goodluck, and believe me I know your concern, but regardless of statistics for me I was very relieved to hear & see the HB.

*hugs*
    Cailin

I think we all worry about m/c and other problems no matter what, so even if you're were reassured about that, you may worry about something else (of course you may not, but I seem to). Anyway, all is good and the chances are low, so enjoy and send lots of healthy love vibes to bub!! xoxo

mizzsocial Guest

Once you see a nice strong heartbeat, the chances of having a miscarriage is very very slim..

Congrats!!

Lee-Ann Guest

I think seeing a heartbeat reduces the risk quite a lot especially at 8 weeks. It's something we all worry about but I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thanks girls, melinda, thankyou too for sharing your experiences. Believe me, i know your not trying to put doubt in my mind. Im fascinated by both the really really good things about pregnancy, and the not so good things.......this is #2 for me and i dont know why, with the first i wasnt all that concerned (what i didnt really know about didnt concern me i guess), but with this one, i feel so cautious.....

Best of luck, I remember when my sister-in-law M/Ced her 2nd bub because it was just before I fell pregnant. They had the U/S at about 7wks and there was a little strong heartbeat and she miscarried the next day. I guess the difference was that she had been suffering from bad cramping and some bleeding for several weeks; so in the end it didn't come as a complete surprise but of course it was still devastating for them.

I guess the only thing I'd say is that if you have ANY bleeding or continuous/intense cramping to tell your GP immediately.