Thread: Short Femur bones

Default Short Femur bones

I had the 18-20wk u/s today. My baby's measurements were all on track for gestational age - except both his lil femur bones. Apparently they are measuring about 2 weeks behind everything else. #-o Has anyone else had this?

Apparently it is sometimes a marker for Downs - but often doesn't mean much at all. I measured in a really low risk category at the nuchal fold testing and I'm "relatively young" (30yo) so I'm sure all is ok. I had an amnio today - so should know more info in about 2 wks.

I'd appreciate hearing anyone's personal experiences with short femur bones please.

Sorry to hear of your worries - but im sure it's just an individual thing. My bean 's femur bones actually measured long - so the other end of the scale. How was the amnio? Stressful i would imagine. Hope all is well
    xx

Kirsty,

Sorry that i can't be of any help to you.

Just want you to know that i will be thinking of you and hope all goes well.

Take care Leah

My kids usually measure a week or so behind on femur length.

So far, it has not been a problem.

Best wishes to you and I hope all is ok.

Thanks girls, I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Kelli, it is comforting to hear your babies measured small to - and that all turned out ok.

Heather - interesting to hear your's measured long.

My MIL is quite short and my dad's mum was short too (all barely reaching 5ft tall). DH is tall and I'm average height. I hope that if anything our lil boy is measuring small - 'cause he's got "short genes", and nothing more. te he.

Heather, the amnio was ok. I thought it would be a little painful, but it really was not much more than uncomfortable. It was all over in about 5-10 mins - which was good. It just felt like someone pressing on a bruise with a fork! LOL

A friend of mines little boy had short femur bones too, but she didn't say anything about a downs risk. They just put it down to her and DH being on the short side (she is 5 ft and he's not much taller). Her DS was fine BTW.