Thread: Sinusitis during PG?

Melinda Guest

Question Sinusitis during PG?

Does anybody know of anything that is safe to take during PG, for sinusitis?

I've never had it before, but I think I currently have it. I've had a really heavy cold for the best part of a week, but now the right side of my face/head is aching (even a few teeth on the top on the right hand side, right down the back) and there is a real 'pressure' feeling. When I blow my nose, a lot of it is clear, but there is also a lot of white stringy/gluey type stuff....(sorry TMI!). It also hurts a bit when I blow my nose.

Does that sound like sinusitis??? Panadol isn't giving me any relief whatsoever.

You could always try and snort warm water up each nostril in the shower each morn....hurts but helped me for a while when my nose was blocked....

Hi Melinda,

Go to the chemist and ask for some FESS Nasal Spray. I used to suffer with it something chronic with sinusitis for months on end, when I worked in child care. It worked a treat for me. It's only saline solution. I've just read the bottle and it says that it can be used in pregnancy and whilst breastfeeding.

Good luck.

Celsie. xoxox

I had it too. Except mine was just pain & headaches.. not stuffy nose. I used Fess to try and relieve it, and panadol did NOTHING. Even panadeine did nothing. I so desperately needed nurofen (to reduce inflamation) but of course, not allowed. I spent many nights sleeping with a cold flannel over my eyes and nose to relieve it. It was the only thing that worked.

I hope you can get some relief soon. If you find a remedy I'd like to know for my next pg!

Try turning the hot water on in the shower and just sit in the bathroom(with door closed) and breath in the steam. This helped me a lot when the sinuses hurt a lot. It releived some of the pressure.

Mel........I have had the swollen nasal passage thing for the past few months....drives me mad......my OB recommended "Otrivin", which I questioned him really closely on, because it says "not to be used in pregnancy without your Dr's advice" but he reassurred me that one dose a day (usually at night, so at least you can sleep) is indeed, perfectly safe.

I used it when I was pg with Charlie on my OB's advice, and am using it again this pregnancy too.....not every night, but if the steam from shower gives me no relief, I do a snort!

HTH........ask your OB about it at any rate?

Melinda Guest

Thanks for all your replies!

DH went out this evening and got me a saline spray (it's not a FESS one, but it's a simple saline solution and safe during PG) so I've been using that ever since. I must say my headache has since disappeared, although I'm still ever so blocked up and still have pain in my face etc......

I've tried the hot shower thing too, but I must admit I seem to prefer to breathe in the cold air like you mentioned Ivana. I've had a cold face washer on my face several times this week!

Thanks again guys.....

Melinda Guest

Oooh must have been posting at the same time Lucy! Thanks for that - I will definitely ask my OB at my next appt if I'm still crook then (god forbid, it's 3w until my next appt!)

Mel *hugs* I just recovered from a sinus infection which was awful. I was using the saline spray every few hours & would have 3 steam treatments a day as well as the cold washer on the face! I actually tried the otrivin too right before bed & was able to get some pain free sleep that way which was great. Good luck! I hope it clears soon.

Melinda I also suffer with this during my pg. I didn't find the saline to be any relief at all. I was using a nasal decongestant (sp?) I would only use 1 puff just before bed, just so I could sleep. My midwife said this was ok & only to use it as often as I really needed & not for any longer then 3 or 4 days in a row.
    I wonder if an antihistimine would take the inflamation away?? Not sure if they are safe while pg though. worth a thought though.
    Last edited by *Efjay*; July 2nd, 2006 at 11:03 PM.

Melinda Guest

Thanks guys.

Christy - did you end up on antibiotics for your sinus infection? The Doctor said he'd be prescribing them for me if I was no better by tomorrow and unfortunately, I'm worse as far as that's concerned. I'm reluctant to take them (well all know they can cause thrush, particularly during PG - yuckies!).

FionaJill - I think a lot of antihistamines are out the window during PG from memory, but I'm not certain.

I guess we'll see how I go tonight and what the Doc says tomorrow.....

I had to go on AB's when I had it with my 2nd PG & didn't have any thrush issues.
    Haven't had an AB's this time & just getting over a bout of I think thrush..... go figure!

Yeah I had one course for this sinus infection. Only had a month break from the last 5 courses of AB's... but the GP said I could have Inner Health as well so I have been taking that at the same time as AB's and not gotten thrush, YAY!

Not sure about rhinocort coz of the cortosteroids? I'm pretty sure I read that it wasn't safe to use.

I read on the net somewhere that it was safe to use. I will see if I can find it again.

of course, now I can't find it! All I can find is that you should discuss the risks & benifits of using while pg with your dr.

I might go back & edit the post I mentioned it in jsut to be safe.