Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SIzes of second bubba compared to first bubbas???

cutebloke04 Guest

Default SIzes of second bubba compared to first bubbas???

Hello all i am just curious to see if your first borns were similar weight to your second borns or were they completely different??

My son was born at 40 weeks and 4 days and he was 9 pound 11 ozs and 54cms long. Just have read and also heard that the second babies are a quicker labour but bigger baby wanted to know if there is any truth in it from all your experiences. Thanks i know there is no way of predicting weight and gestation/labour times but was curious....

DD was born 7 days overdue at 7lb 5.5oz after a 31 hour labour.
    DS was born 3 days overdue at 9lb 1oz after a 5 hour labour.

This is how mine have gone

DD#1 40+6 8lb 1oz 3 days stop start followed by 18 1/2 hour labour Low lying Placenta, PPH
    DD#2 40+6 7lb 6 and a half oz 6 hours of niggly nothing pain and 3 1/2 hour labour Partial Abruption
    DD#3 40+6 8lb 10 oz 8 hours of niggly nothing pain and 1 hour labour Normal
    DD#4 40 7lb 12oz 10 hours of niggly nothing pain and 2 hour labour Normal

And we'll see what happens in a few short weeks with baby #5

With DD#2 I ended up having a partial Abruption, which they ignored my complaining of pain for two weeks before I had her. lucky for us it was a slow bleed and it clotted so i ended up with a 500-600ml bag of blood behind my placenta

I was told that #2 can be bigger as a general rule, but can be smaller if a girl (so that bit was true for me). The labour can be quicker, especially the 2nd stage of labour (pushing), but there is no hard and fast rule on this either.

This is how mine went;
    DS = 9lb 3.5ozs, 56cm @ 39+6, 12 hr labour
    DD#1 = 8lb 8ozs, 52cm @ 40+5, 8 hr labour
    DD#2 = 9lb 8.5ozs, 57cm @ 40+0, 4.5hr labour. (forgot to add Paige was induced with Syncto - so no idea how long a natural labour would have been with her, plus she was posterior, so I am assuming it would have been longer))

goldilocks Guest

I'm not speaking from personal experience as I'm only just pregnant with my first baby!

But I thought I'd tell you about my Mum's experience with having my younger brother and I (I'm about two and a half years older than him).

I was just over 8 pounds and Mum was in labour for about 5 hours. She said it was quite an easy labour (if any labour can be called 'easy'! LOL)

My younger brother was over 10 pounds! :eek: Mum said the labour was MUCH worse and last for about 13 hours...although she'd been very sick throughout the whole pregnancy so maybe that had something to do with it.

Oh, and we were both born within a day or two of our EDDs so gestation didn't have anything to do with size.

Love
    Goldilocks
    -xxxooo-

DD was 8lb3oz - 2 1/2 hrs from start to finish - induced @ 40+1 due to high BP, had the works, gels, drip, membranes ruptured

DS was 8lb12oz - 4hours start to finish - booked for induction @ 40+2 due to high BP, had the gels and went into labour from there. (Although I have a sneaking suspicion ds was actually due a week before the 'official' edd - and he looked it too)

So roughly the same sizes here

Bel

With Nicholas, my labour went for 23 hours and he was 9lb 14oz and 54.5cm long and he was 7 days overdue. Declan, my labour went for 12 hours and he was 8lb 13oz and 54.5cm long too and he was 11 days overdue.

Nicholas was 7lb 13oz and 10 days overdue
    Ryan was 7lb 3oz and was 10 days early

Alex was premmie (6 weeks early) and weighed 1.9 kilos or 4lbs 2oz... no labour as emergency c/s
    Ned was 8 days late and weighed 4.3 kilos or 9lbs 7oz, again "emergency" c/s as not coming out on his own..

Olivia was 7lb4oz, a week overdue, 7 hour labour
    Charlie was 6lb13oz, induced at 38 weeks, 2 hour labour

DS#1 40+1. Was 7lb 8oz - 50.5cm long & 56cm HC - Water broke 10am, nothing happened for about 12 hours, back pain etc but baerable for another 8 or so hours then induced at 7.30am & he was born 5.10pm. Normal delivery. Actual labour time was classed as 7 hours I think.
    DS#2 40+5. Was 8lb 3oz -51cm long & 57cm HC - Niggly pain started about 8pm that got worse over 12 hoursish. When to hospital about 9am & had baby at 11pm. Posteria baby. Actual labour time was classed as 9 or so hours I think.
    Both Labours where very similar.
    Let see what #3 brings..

Kameron - induced 15 days early - 3hr 20min labour 6lb exactly
    Lachlan - induced 13 days early - 4hr 6min labour 6lb 7oz

Love

Guys you are scaring me re weight size. DD was 18 days early 8pd 1onz 51cm. Now have 13 weeks left until my c/s. Wonder how big this baby will be, considering the size of my early baby.

Love

Maddison was 41w & weighed 7lb10 (2.5 days in labour with no dialating til they induced me with syntocin...
    Indah was 41w & 8lb1, 2 hour labour..

Mason was born on his EDD and was 7lb 4oz and 51cm after a 9hr labour start to finish
    Angus was 5 days overdue and weighed 7lb 2oz and was 49cm, so just a little bit smaller but not really enough to notice any difference IYKWIM. His labour was 2 hours once it got going properly but including pre labour it was almost 24 hours in total.

Matthew was 7lb12oz 10 days late 7 hour labour
    Joshua was 7lb1oz 21 days late 6 hour labour
    Zachary was 7lb 12oz 3 days late (induced) 6 hour labour
    Christian was 7lb11oz 9 days late 5 hour labour
    Jacob was 8lb 4oz 8 days late 4.5 hour labour

I have to correct myself, I have just looked at my new OB card & it has my previous labour times on it. My first was 9.5 hours & my second was 14.5 hours. So no shorter for me second time round!

sonsangel Guest

It will be interesting how things will go with me.
    With Cameron I was induced at 39wks he was 9lb 3oz 53.5cm long
    I hope this one is a little smaller although at least I am not pregnant during summer this time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast