Thread: Sleeping with pillows to support belly

Default Sleeping with pillows to support belly

Hi everyone,

I tried to sleep with a pillow between my legs last night and at first it was uncomfortable. After awhile it seemed to help as I wasn't putting as much pressure on my body with legs squashed together.

How do you sleep with pillows? I couldn't find any other variations and would love to hear them. I've heard of the body pillow is that comfortable or is it too big to manouvere with? Thanks!!!!

I bought a little pillow that was a specific pregnancy pillow for under my belly - it is only about 20cm by 30cm and is sort of carved out on one side - you sort of wedge it under your belly. I found it greatly alleviated back pain.

Thanks Aurora. Where can I get one of those from?

A wedge does a similar thing to what Aurora is mentioning. I actually hated mine. Oh well
    I have bought a long body pillow this time around, and I am loving it. It took a while to soften up enough to be really comfy, but it sure beats all the pillows I had around me last time!
    I didn't really need to start sleeping with pillows until about 30w or so, when things start to get a bit more uncomfy. Try and use skinny pillows between your legs as they dont seem to be so difficult to get used to.

I create a 'fort' as my DH calls it! I have two pillows under my head, one pillow on my right side (when laying on my back) and two on my left. The pillows on the side prop me up a bit so I'm half sleeping on my tummy, half on my side. I find I only need a pillow for my legs when I turn on my left side, so that's why there is two pillows there. So far I haven't had any trouble sleeping (if you don't count the two or three times each night I go to the loo!), but I have a long way to go!

a fort lol...
    i have a boomerang and normal pillow under my head..(to prop me up a little to stop indigestion etc)... a really dead and almost non existant pillow under my tummy/chest(that i kinda hug).. and a nice new foam core pillow between my legs... When i roll form one side to the next i keep the one between my legs in there as i roll and hug the body one...
    Rolling is quite a production, but not nearly as much as when i lose a pillow down the end of the bed..heheheheheheh
    Plus we have a futon very low on the floor, im sure watching me getting in and out is the most hilarious thing ever...

Yes - I reckon I make great noises getting up to go to the loo too. And then just as good getting back in. PLus I have to fight the two cats to make space for myself.
    Any wonder why some of us dont sleep in late pregnancy??

Fi- tell me about it... old man grunts hahahahahaah
    me toooooooo... its hard enuf trying to get into bed without having to manouver(spell?) around a mini foxy and a chihuhuaX who sleep under the dooner!!!LOL

I started off sleeping with a pillow resting between my legs but now I find that uncomfortable too. I'm now sleeping with two pillows running the length of my body - I wedge one pillow under my tummy and the other one I use to put my whole "top" leg on from the knee down (so if I'm lying on my left side, I draw my right knee up and put my knee and lower leg on the pillow - my left leg is flat on the mattress). I find if I only put my knee on the pillow there is too much pressure put on my knee from the height difference between my hip, knee and ankle.

Lol Fi...I thought fighting one cat was bad enough!! If I want to move a pillow he pounces on it!

I have a body pillow, same as Fi and LOVE it. Like Fi said, took a little softening but now it's great. I just keep turning it as well and swap ends every week. For laying on my left side I have one normal pillow under my head and then the body pillow I kinda curve around so my head is on it, wedge a bit of it under my belly and throw my knee over it, then I have one behind my back so if it's sore I wedge it into my back. Sometimes I roll onto my right side for half an hour or so cos my hip starts to get sore on the left and then I throw my leg over the pillow I use for my back. Wow...what epics we have just to sleep!!!

I used two normal pillows under my head, and then another one between my legs. then I also have a poxy flat one that I use the corner of to go under my waist and belly.

I got my belly pillow from my yoga school - the lotus healing centre in essendon, melbourne, but I am sure some big baby stores would have them....

Percy Guest

I have one of the wedge piollows like Roryrory has - I love it too. I found with a pillow underneath my belly I didn't have a slope for my belly to rest on - I kinda had to haul the belly on to the pillow. Doesn't make sense but it wasn't comfortable!!! Anyway the wedge was my saviour! I love it! I brought it from a baby shop here in Auckland but try the big baby shops near you for one.

I also have a pillow under my feet as well as I find it helps the swelling.

I didn't get the wedge pillow till about 2 weeks ago as I didn't find I really needed it until then.

I have this pillow called a snoogle. Its designed for pregnent & breastfeeding women.
    It is kinda like a body pillow but curls around at the top for head support & also curls at the end so it goes between ur legs. U can also coil it up & use it as a back rest to watch tv or read in bed. I have been having the best sleeps since i got it!! Plus i can use it to breastfeed on after bubby is born
    I got it from Toys R Us

Fraser Guest

I convinced DH to buy me a body pillow (you know the ones shaped like a candy cane) - It took up half the bed and pushed DH out the other side - I didn't like not being able to feel him there - so I used to end up chucking it on the floor - BUT - it was a fanastic breast feeding aid!

I didn't like having a pillow between my knees - I realised I actually sleep with my hands there! I just wedged a normal pillow under my back and that helped - too much stuff in the bed made me feel a bit hemmed in!