Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping on your front

Default Sleeping on your front

Hi Guys,

I'm almost 8 weeks pregnant, and as far as I can tell haven't put on any weight or changed shape yet (which I think is pretty normal?)

I had a massage the other day, and the masseuse hearing I was pregnant asked if I was happy lying on my front! I was a bit bemused, (unless she thought my tummy was already a pg tummy LOL!), but I got to wondering - when does it start to feel uncomfortable to lie on your front? I tend to sleep on my front all the time, so I'm wondering how soon I need to get used to a new position!!

Hope everyone's having a great day,
    Bertie

I cannot lay properly on my front now, have to shove a pillow in orelse theres too much pressure! But I am further along & probably had this problem for 2-4 wks!???

Hi Barley - how far along are you?
    Thanks!
    Bertie

16w 1day... So you should be Ok on your front a little bit longer!???

I had to start lying on my side from early in the pg as my bump was quite big. Having a long pg pillow between you legs helps with the transition. I think I was still on my tummy at 8 weeks but I can't remember for sure. Sorry, not much help.

DOH - sorry Barley, I'm on a dodgy pc and your ticker didn't come up first time, but now I see it loud and clear!!

Sounds like I have a few (?) more weeks of sleeping easy then... I guess it also depends on when I start showing.

Bertie

colleeg Guest

I have heard in the early stages its ok to lie on your tummy, but i know you should be careful lying on your right side as there is major nerves and blood vessles.

i was told at antnatal classes that you shount lie on your back from 28-30 weeks as there is too much pressure on your uterus from your baby & can stop blood circulation to bub.

I personally never wanted to lie on my tummy just because i was affraid of squashing it! although he is very well protected in there! and i had such sore breasts that it wantnt ideal at the time anway!

happy sleeping positions
    Colleeg

Hi,

The way I see it - sleep how you are comfortable - bubs will tell you when to move!
    I was OK on my back until about 34 weeks?? Its only been the last few that I have to have something under my knees otherwise I get period type pains.
    I stopped sleeping on my front because of a neck/shoulder problem a couple of years ago, and hate sleeping on my side.
    Pillows - pillows - pillows is all I can say!! Use them to prop yourself up on your side, and I wouldn't get too stressed about the RHS or LHS thing. Try to be on your LHS, but if your neck is giving you curry like mine does, just swap over.

I'm pretty sure Tanya (Tajemi) wa able to sleep on her stomach until about 16-20 weeks??

I promise you will feel when it gets uncomfy!! Best wishes,

Fi

Bertie,

I couldn't sleep on my tummy right from conception because my bb's were way too sore. And boy do I miss it cause I'm a tummy sleeper, with back being second choice.

For me, sleeping is not one of the joys of being pregnant cause I find it hard to get comfortable.

Sleep on your tummy as long as you can, and enjoy it!

Cheers,

Rachel

It started getting uncomfortable for me at around 20 weeks. I do know a girl though that is about 35 weeks now and she still sleeps on her tummy!

I was told to sleep where you were comfortable and once it started getting uncomfortable to stop. I slept on my belly until around 21 weeks and then I propped up some pillows on one side and slept partially on my belly & side until around 30 weeks. HTH!

I can still sleep partially on my belly...I have a body pillow between my legs 'cos my biggest sleeping hassle is pain in my hips if they're out of alignment. I sleep with my head to the side, and body half on my tummy, half on my side.

When I'm studying - I like to read while lying on my tummy. I can still do this if I get my body pillow and wrap it around my tummy, making a hole for it to fit, and I lie on that IYKWIM!

Melody Guest

Bertie.... enjoy it while you can! I miss sleeping on my tummy & cuddling my pillow & rolling my butt around, rocking myself to sleep.

I'm with everyone else.... bubba will tell you when it is no longer possible. For me it was pretty early, around ten weeks (maybe even sooner) & I felt an uncomfortable pressure so stopped.

I am on #4 and at 24 weeks am still pretty much on my tummy. I couldn't do this for my other pg's as it wasn't comfortable, but so far this one has been fine, will only stop when it gets uncomfortable!!!

Hi everyone...

I used to sleep on my tummy all the time. For the last few weeks bub has made it really uncomfortable to lie like that, not to mention my BB get really sore if I lay on them. I don't like laying on my back, and I toss and turn if I'm on my side. I find a happy medium by laying half way between my side and on my tummy, but as bub progresses that may change too.

Sweet dreams mum's to be...

Default Bertie

Hey Bertie, I love sleeping on my tummy but i couldnt do it after 12-13wks, but my girlfriend did it the whole way through! So go figure, but if you feel comfy sleeping on your tummy when you get a bit bigger then do it, trust me baby will let know if its uncomfy for them they will kick like mad till you move or they will shove a foot under a rib....ohwey. Anyhow good luck sweetie.xx O

well i am sad to say I have lost it, the last 2 nights I couldn't sleep on my tummy it hurt, so boohoo, 25 weeks and its gone!!!

oh well - if I make it to 25 weeks I'll be happy!

Sleep well everyone - at the moment my biggest challenge is waking up EVERY night at about 3-4am desperate to pee!!!

Bertie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast